Anyone been refused hospital treatment because no longer considered a resident of Australia?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your cover expires after 2 years out of the country, you can reapply .

and like stated ,you will need a permanant address.

however , depending on your situation, you may not be eligble if you havnt been paying any tax for 8 years.

you could be classed as a nonresident and have to reside incountry for a time to be eligble.

go to the website and you will find everything you need to know .

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

Just go & apply for a new Medicare card, see what happens

But you must be able to prove an address 

I have a current Medicare card, I've been renewing it by phone from Thailand. I get it sent to a friends address in Australia.

Edited by giddyup
17 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

your cover expires after 2 years out of the country, you can reapply .

and like stated ,you will need a permanant address.

however , depending on your situation, you may not be eligble if you havnt been paying any tax for 8 years.

you could be classed as a nonresident and have to reside incountry for a time to be eligble.

go to the website and you will find everything you need to know .

I don't need to pay taxes, I've been retired for 15 years and under the taxable income level.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have a current Medicare card, I've been renewing it by phone from Thailand. I get it sent to a friends address in Australia.

So no problem as they still think you are connected to Auss

I'm still working in Auss & they auto send to address ( my brothers place )

? Do you get an Auss OAP

If so that's all you need to be on file even though you are overseas ( I think ) since you are using your friends address

A bit like renting room there

2 hours ago, BEVUP said:

So no problem as they still think you are connected to Auss

I'm still working in Auss & they auto send to address ( my brothers place )

? Do you get an Auss OAP

If so that's all you need to be on file even though you are overseas ( I think ) since you are using your friends address

A bit like renting room there

Yes, get the OAP.

You’re also not eligible for Medicare if you:

• are an Australian citizen and have been living overseas for 5 years or more

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/medicare-entitlement-statement

How to re-enrol for Medicare:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/how-enrol-or-re-enrol-medicare

4 minutes ago, simple1 said:

You’re also not eligible for Medicare if you:

• are an Australian citizen and have been living overseas for 5 years or more

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/medicare-entitlement-statement

How to re-enrol for Medicare:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/how-enrol-or-re-enrol-medicare

I'm wondering, even though I have been out of the country for 8 years I still hold a current Medicare card, so if I turn up at a hospital will I be refused treatment?

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I'm wondering, even though I have been out of the country for 8 years I still hold a current Medicare card, so if I turn up at a hospital will I be refused treatment?

As you claim to hold a current valid Medicare card one would assume you're covered. As a caution should be noted that should staff be bothered to check your residency status, unlikely, info that you have been out of the country for eight years would be available. 

5 hours ago, simple1 said:

As you claim to hold a current valid Medicare card one would assume you're covered. As a caution should be noted that should staff be bothered to check your residency status, unlikely, info that you have been out of the country for eight years would be available. 

yep , immigration computers are linked to just about every government agency, every time your passport goes thru immigration they know exactly where you are .

Just now, sirmud63 said:

yep , immigration computers are linked to just about every government agency, every time your passport goes thru immigration they know exactly where you are .

But would they turn me away, 75 years old and lived and worked in Australia until retirement at 65? Be curious if anyone has.

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

you wont be refused treatment, its down to whether the government pays for it or you pay for it .

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2017 at 9:55 PM, giddyup said:

But would they turn me away, 75 years old and lived and worked in Australia until retirement at 65? Be curious if anyone has.

I would think and would hope to believe that because you received your OAP and were residing in Australia at the time your OAP was approved portable, you should still be covered under Medicare as a pensioner, but then again, one would like to dream that would be the case.

From what I have read is as Simple1 said, if your out of the country for 5 years, and an Australian Resident you have to reapply.

If your thinking of returning for a procedure, just go in, do what you have to do, and if they ask for your medicare card or number, tell them you haven't got it on you, but will get it next time, and when that time comes, oh sorry, I am becoming forgetful with old age.

Alternatively you can go to a medical centre for a quick check up, one that does everything with Medicare on-line, that is, give them your Medicare card and your debit card or cash for the difference between your Medicare bill and the doctors bill, you will soon find out if your Medicare card is accepted.

From what I have heard and what is on the medicare site, if ylou return with the intention of living permamently you take a stat dec and a list of documents to the nearest medicare office with an addtress.  You will leave with a temporary card and your card is sent later to that address.  

They say others can do it on your behalf if unable to attend but I think this would give problems and possible delays.

I am sure if I returned I would be transferred straight to an ambulance and hospital as I need oxygen and this would have to be prescribed by a respiratory physician,  I think the hospital would liase with medicare, if not they have no hope of getting paid I cannot afford it.

Edited by harrry
7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would think and would hope to believe that because you received your OAP and were residing in Australia at the time your OAP was approved portable, you should still be covered under Medicare as a pensioner, but then again, one would like to dream that would be the case.

From what I have read is as Simple1 said, if your out of the country for 5 years, and an Australian Resident you have to reapply.

If your thinking of returning for a procedure, just go in, do what you have to do, and if they ask for your medicare card or number, tell them you haven't got it on you, but will get it next time, and when that time comes, oh sorry, I am becoming forgetful with old age.

Alternatively you can go to a medical centre for a quick check up, one that does everything with Medicare on-line, that is, give them your Medicare card and your debit card or cash for the difference between your Medicare bill and the doctors bill, you will soon find out if your Medicare card is accepted.

I still have a current Medicare card, I have managed to renew it from Thailand and had it sent to a friend's address.

3 minutes ago, harrry said:

From what I have heard and what is on the medicare site, if ylou return with the intention of living permamently you take a stat dec and a list of documents to the nearest medicare office with an addtress.  You will leave with a temporary card and your card is sent later to that address.  

They say others can do it on your behalf if unable to attend but I think this would give problems and possible delays.

I am sure if I returned I would be transferred straight to an ambulance and hospital as I need oxygen and this would have to be prescribed by a respiratory physician,  I think the hospital would liase with medicare, if not they have no hope of getting paid I cannot afford it.

My Medicare card is current, so unless the hospital cross-checked with Immigration they would be none the wiser as to to me living in Thailand.

Just reading the above part, what came to my mind was that today a human being cannot be really honest. The way to go is by hook or by crook!

One must just keep in mind not to accuse another being who would take you for a ride to gain something! - 'cos that's what we all do

Edited by ravip
43 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I still have a current Medicare card, I have managed to renew it from Thailand and had it sent to a friend's address.

Yes I know, the only real way you are going to find out is when someone enters your details into the system, it might go ok, or it might say, not covered, refer to Medicare, we just don't know, as no one has provided us with a solid answer, so we can only go by what the website says, as Simple1 provided.

I was absent from Australia for a year and a half and was all and good when I returned, as for now, its over 2 years and when I go later this year will find out when I try it again around March/April or October, one of the school holiday terms here. 

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You have been asking for Medicare card from the government for the past 8 years while claiming non residency?

Very dangerous thing to do.

How have I claimed non residency, and why is it dangerous?

Edited by giddyup

My worry wouldn't be whether I was refused treatment.  It would be getting the invoice for treatment plus penalties and interest at some later date when they did fire up the technology to connect the dots.   Maybe years in the future.  May never happen.  But I wouldn't want to bet it won't happen, or that it won't be retroactive.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

My worry wouldn't be whether I was refused treatment.  It would be getting the invoice for treatment plus penalties and interest at some later date when they did fire up the technology to connect the dots.   Maybe years in the future.  May never happen.  But I wouldn't want to bet it won't happen, or that it won't be retroactive.

At 75 there aren't that many "years in the future" left. Least of my worries.

19 hours ago, ravip said:

Just reading the above part, what came to my mind was that today a human being cannot be really honest. The way to go is by hook or by crook!

One must just keep in mind not to accuse another being who would take you for a ride to gain something! - 'cos that's what we all do

The way I see it is, if the system we all paid taxes into for decades, suddenly turns on us because we decide to reside overseas for a cheaper, more affordable lifestyle, we shouldn't be punished by being stricken off the list, i.e. Medicare and voting.

Ask yourself this, how many people get Medicare who live in Australia and have NEVER contributed to the tax system.

I say do whatever it takes to get yourself medical help, and if that means tell a curly one, then so be it, as I am sick to the core of having done the right thing all of my life for "other" who have never contributed to the system, yet get to bleed it continuously, politicians have it wrong and have been f'n xpats for years, because we are easy targets, why else would they strike us off the electoral role, because in numbers we can cause them problems, big problems, but by tying our hands they can bend us over and drive us as far away as they want.

Lie through your teeth if you have paid your due's, but NEVER tale an individual for a ride.

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The way I see it is, if the system we all paid taxes into for decades, suddenly turns on us because we decide to reside overseas for a cheaper, more affordable lifestyle, we shouldn't be punished by being stricken off the list, i.e. Medicare and voting.

Ask yourself this, how many people get Medicare who live in Australia and have NEVER contributed to the tax system.

I say do whatever it takes to get yourself medical help, and if that means tell a curly one, then so be it, as I am sick to the core of having done the right thing all of my life for "other" who have never contributed to the system, yet get to bleed it continuously, politicians have it wrong and have been f'n xpats for years, because we are easy targets, why else would they strike us off the electoral role, because in numbers we can cause them problems, big problems, but by tying our hands they can bend us over and drive us as far away as they want.

Lie through your teeth if you have paid your due's, but NEVER tale an individual for a ride.

Agree. It's like Centrelink "punishes" you if you have income from super or other sources when you receive the OAP. I lose 50 cents on the dollar because of my super payments, so I only get approx half the OAP. In other words I'm penalised for having the forethought to provide extra for myself in my old age. Be a dole bludger all your life and you qualify for 100% of the OAP.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Agree. It's like Centrelink "punishes" you if you have income from super or other sources when you receive the OAP. I lose 50 cents on the dollar because of my super payments, so I only get approx half the OAP. In other words I'm penalised for having the forethought to provide extra for myself in my old age. Be a dole bludger all your life and you qualify for 100% of the OAP.

Personally I don;t think I would qualify for the OAP due to also having the forethought to provide for myself, not a bad position to be in sure, but a lot of sacrifice and hard work went into for decades, no money tree or inheritance unfortunately, suffice to say no real need to take my rights to Medicare and voting away, scumbag politicians !!! 

I hear you and other here, load and clear, and I am so glad I did plan ahead, because I reckon by the time they move it from 67 up to 70 a lot of folk won't make it.

Are you Australian?  If so, very easy. Go to Centrelink or to any Medicare office, they will update yours on the spot. You need of course an residential address in Australia (not PO BOX!). You will get it on your mobile until you get the card by mail. I was the same as you, more than 7 years in Thailand, I got it.