Pattaya gives Thailand’s name another beating

webfact

42 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Err, there is rather more of this in Pattaya!!!

Plus a multitude of gyms, sports fields, tennis courts, bowling alleys, sailing clubs, windsurfing, paragliding, jet-skis (beware of scam), flying (micro-lites), fishing (sea and lake), swimming, cycling etc etc.

Fresh air in Issarn, well so long as it isn't burning season and sitting staring at paddy fields while termites buzz in and out of every orifice, no. That isn't for everyone.....

Let us agree do differ, but if I am going to sit around I prefer to be near some support facilities.

More than willing to agree do differ. Never said that you ain´t got mor places to take a beer in Pattaya, but that´s not something that should ever be a person first choice in life. Then that person really been falling down on the ladder of things to do in life. 

And be near som support facilities??? What I´ve heard there is only complains about not getting the help needed in Pattaya.

Edited by Get Real

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/20/2017 at 9:39 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I guess you never actually stayed in Pattaya before, as you seem to get your opinion from British garbage red top newspaper articles, which always trash Thailand in general and Pattaya in particular.

The great thing about Pattaya is that no one with your opinion need ever set foot there, and such despisers certainly won't be missed. 

Been living in Naklua for 3 years. Thank God at 66 years old I am very healthy and in very good physical condition.   I'm a "daytimer."  Rarely go out at night except when friends come to town and I play "tour guide."  Been coming here since 1971 courtesy of the US military and been coming back ever since.  Was married to an "upper middle-class" Thai gal from Bangkok for eight years. I think I know the ropes, fairly well anyway.  

I've traveled and lived all over the world.  Honestly, in my opinion, To go out in  Pattaya and get into trouble in the day time you have to be a brain-dead idiot. Unfortunately that is easily 80 percent of the tourist an expat population.

At night time the game changes for sure. As a young man I walked all over Pattaya In the wee hours and fortunately never had a problem.  Not that I recommend that. Been here solid for three years now and having the time of my life.  There is an old Buddhist  saying, "Nothing good happens in night time."  I try to stick to that one.

Edited by joeyg

15 hours ago, Get Real said:

And, how I spend my time concerns you exactly how? Get a life.

I have a very nice life, thank you.  In Pattaya.  That city you can't seem to shake.  Why else would you read about it and post about it.  Can't see myself doing the same about Issan.

21 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Do you actually live here?  I've lived here in Isaan and traveled throughout most of the kingdom, pretty much full-time, since 2005 (much longer in total) and, other than on the highways, my experiences are that Thailand is still one of the safest places on Earth.  During the past 12 years I have explored many remote rural areas on walkabouts, jogging, or by bicycle (in many cases solo) and have found the majority of Thais to be as friendly as advertised.  This is even largely true of Bangkok, Pattaya, and other tourist areas, but I will admit being courteous—and on your toes—will usually prevent unpleasant situations.  Simply smiling, being friendly, and showing respect works wonders and pays huge dividends.  Now then, if you're an unfriendly rude a**hole you'll certainly get what you deserve no matter which country you live in, or visit, even here in Thailand.

Very well said.  Pretty much describes my experience In Thailand since 1971, identically.  Too bad Thailand seems to attract some of the biggest "wack jobs" in the world.   Haven't been able to sort that phenomenon out.  I have a couple of theories.  Won't go into that here and now.  Just observing here at TV has been very revealing in itself.

2 hours ago, carmine said:

Tell that to the people of Samui......This place seems so full of people telling how tourism is so up.....they must be invisible.  Only place i can see is really busy is Bangkok.  If you believe all those massaged figures then more fool you, you obviously haven't lived here long.

In summary, its easy to book any hotel, easy to go on any tour, easy to get any flight.  Never used to be in years prior, everything was booked up much earlier......but then again, believe the hype if you want.  But for those with clear vision,  to the hotel managers presiding over half full hotels in what is high season, its very much NOT up with european tourists.  They are going elsewhere.

Yes, they're all in Pattaya.

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes, they're all in Pattaya.

Never really liked Samui even back in the early 90's.  Not "my cup of tea."  However living on the beach in Naklua 10 - 15 minutes outside of Pattaya has been great so far...:cool:

21 hours ago, Get Real said:

I just have one thing to say, and out of your response I take a wild guess and say that you are one of the people residing in Pattaya.
That is: Eyes wide shut, doesn´t even see the dark!

And, yes! I have both been there and tried to stay for all up to 1,5 years before I couldn´t take it no more. My foot is in Isaaan. I guess you can take all Isaan area and compare it to Pattaya. The result you find would still be more crimes and criminals in Pattaya alone, and more prostitution and power drinkers with a child stage mentallity in Pattaya alone. That says a lot to me.

I live in Naklua.  Like I said if you go out during the day and get in trouble you have to be a brain dead idiot.  And I've spent lot's of time in Issan, especially, Khon Kaen, and Yasothan.  There were times I would be going for a walk and my wife's buddies parents said don't go there or don't go there etc. Of course mostly related to Yaba Production or processing facilities.

We were sitting on the front porch one day in Yasothan Four years ago and a convoy of Humvees, jeeps and other military vehicles sped past our house and down the road about 50 yards. There was approximately a couple hundred rounds that one off and two explosions.

My buddies wife's dad said "good they were making Yaba down there."  I've experienced more sketchy situations up north in the provinces, which I really like, then the zero amount of sketchy situations I've experienced in Pattaya.

I was always recommend it to never go out at night, certainly by myself, and most places I stayed in Issan.  I will be heading up to Yasothan for a couple moths after New Year.  I love it up there. 

Oh and PS there are plenty of prostitutes in Issan, So I've heard...:thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

The real question is this:  How much of this has affected YOU on a day to day basis.  For goodness sake, please don't peruse any of the news outlets for my country, the USA, as you'll have a freakin' heart attack.  For <deleted> Sakes, it seems to be the most dangerous place in the world these days.  Gun violence is reaching critical mass.  Just honk your horn at the <expletive deleted> who pulled in front of you in traffic and he/she is liable to jump out and shoot you.  If he/she doesn't do it the now-militarized hair-trigger police thugs will.  Or simply pull into the wrong neighborhood by mistake and BAM you're dead.  Gun violence thanks to growing mental illness, gangs, etc., in the former Land of the Free is truly shocking.  Thailand, with all its faults... including being ruled by Little P and his band of military misfits, is heaven by comparison.

And, yes, my comments are based on my day-to-day experiences since 2005.  I'm not afraid to go anywhere at any time here.  That said, I do avoid the restive south.  Other than that I feel totally safe here.  You should too.  Be courteous and keep your eyes open and you'll be fine.

Cheers!

Well said sir...

14 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Ah a person who cares about the safety of friends or family, well done, I stopped recommending my friends come to Thai two years ago when it started to change for the worse. For the vast majority of tourists this place is well and truly seen its best days, now all you get is trouble or death from the worlds deadliest roads and their drivers, rip offs by the scum who think they are better than anyone else, which they are at scams.

Just imagine if this lot where part of the EU and the fines for dirty beaches and water? Now no longer a world tourist destination, but a colony of China and India.

Huh? I recommended my sister and her friend come to LOS for a holiday and they loved most of it.

I often speak to tourists and ask them how they like Chiang Mai. They usually love it. Not so much Phuket though, so it depends where one goes.

22 hours ago, Get Real said:

I just have one thing to say, and out of your response I take a wild guess and say that you are one of the people residing in Pattaya.
That is: Eyes wide shut, doesn´t even see the dark!

And, yes! I have both been there and tried to stay for all up to 1,5 years before I couldn´t take it no more. My foot is in Isaaan. I guess you can take all Isaan area and compare it to Pattaya. The result you find would still be more crimes and criminals in Pattaya alone, and more prostitution and power drinkers with a child stage mentallity in Pattaya alone. That says a lot to me.

Hmmmmm. Perhaps you are just unlucky, or attract bad people. I lived in Pattaya and have no idea of what you are speaking. Never had a serious problem other than dangerous traffic on Buakhao. Still like the place when I go back for a visit, except not many attractive BGs anymore.

10 minutes ago, Shroud said:

Start 2018: don't tip anymore! 

If there's a one baht missing, you need to ask for it.

Let them feel the dissatisfaction! 

On the one hand I don't like tipping as people should be paid properly, but on the other hand many people in the service industries are not paid well, and the reputation of Pattaya is not their fault.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmmm. Perhaps you are just unlucky, or attract bad people. I lived in Pattaya and have no idea of what you are speaking. Never had a serious problem other than dangerous traffic on Buakhao. Still like the place when I go back for a visit, except not many attractive BGs anymore.

Same here.  I still like here.  Daytime activities are fun, fun, fun. Well in Naklua anyway.  And yes Buakhao is a dangerous traffic street, for sure.

15 hours ago, connda said:

At this point, given the violence toward tourists and the filthy beaches, I recommend to my friends to head to Mexico. 

I lived in San Diego for 32 years.  Spent a lot of time all over Mexico.  You're right they should all go to Mexico.  that will be a reality check.  You bet...

3 hours ago, rodney earl said:

I have just got back from spending a week there. Seeing the boat crews sitting on the beach smoking and then stubbing their butts into the sand with no a care in the world, then on a walk along 2nd road seeing thais camping and doing their daily business in a vacant piece of land very close to an one of a number of up market hotels, the footpaths are an absolute disgrace let alone the other things that I saw down there. I certainly am not in any hurry to go there again.  It would seem that some people mis understand what I am saying. I am an atheist and I think that all religions are a waste of time and money. As for my opinion about Pattaya, it is my opinion that when I see thai people deficating and living on vacant land on 2nd road it is a disgrace and it would seem that all of their talk about smoking is just a smoke screen (as usual). For my own personal reasons I am a non smoker and a non alcoholic drinker, after owing bars in both bangkok and pattaya I have seen enough.!!

"I certainly am not in any hurry to go there again." "I am an atheist and I think that all religions are a waste of time and money. "   "Thank You!"

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Err, there is rather more of this in Pattaya!!!

Plus a multitude of gyms, sports fields, tennis courts, bowling alleys, sailing clubs, windsurfing, paragliding, jet-skis (beware of scam), flying (micro-lites), fishing (sea and lake), swimming, cycling etc etc.

Fresh air in Issarn, well so long as it isn't burning season and sitting staring at paddy fields while termites buzz in and out of every orifice, no. That isn't for everyone.....

Let us agree do differ, but if I am going to sit around I prefer to be near some support facilities.

I think you left out the priorities of girls and golf and more girls.

Issarn is a mindless do nothing place of boredom.

And I find the Thais there actually much less friendly toward Falang then in Bangkok or Pattaya.

32 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I think you left out the priorities of girls and golf and more girls.

Issarn is a mindless do nothing place of boredom.

And I find the Thais there actually much less friendly toward Falang then in Bangkok or Pattaya.

I find Thais quite friendly where ever I go.  Bangkok is pretty tough just like NYC, LA or any other big city.  Thais are the easiest to get along with people I've ever met.  that's a big part of why I'm here.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Huh? I recommended my sister and her friend come to LOS for a holiday and they loved most of it.

I often speak to tourists and ask them how they like Chiang Mai. They usually love it. Not so much Phuket though, so it depends where one goes.

Agree.  My 4 sisters, ages 57 to 72, visited for 2 weeks in September.  They had a wonderful time--and are still talking about it. 

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You sound like the life of the party :biggrin:.

No, I sound like a person that can enojoy life without going to extreme measures. It´s called being an adult and a part of the mentally healthy that actually cares about a respectful social behaviour.

On 2017-12-21 at 4:27 AM, newnative said:

I have a very nice life, thank you.  In Pattaya.  That city you can't seem to shake.  Why else would you read about it and post about it.  Can't see myself doing the same about Issan.

You have the total freedom to not read it, right?

53 minutes ago, Get Real said:

No, I sound like a person that can enojoy life without going to extreme measures. It´s called being an adult and a part of the mentally healthy that actually cares about a respectful social behaviour.

So have you assessed that you are "part of the mentally healthy that actually cares about a respectful social behaviour?

21 hours ago, Get Real said:

"So have you assessed that you are "part of the mentally healthy that actually cares about a respectful social behaviour?"  Sorry, I figured that might confuse you.  Don't worry everything thing will be OK.

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

"So have you assessed that you are "part of the mentally healthy that actually cares about a respectful social behaviour?"  Sorry, I figured that might confuse you.  Don't worry everything thing will be OK.

Why would you think I would worry about an irrelevant comment like that? That´s why I looked confused.  It was so much copied information in it, so I just got buffled over that some people have hard to express in their own words.