Norwegian man assaulted after noise complaint at Pattaya bar

webfact

8 minutes ago, elnet1 said:

Late night venues look abandoned and serene during the day. That's why its always wise to visit the area you are going to live in during off hours and random times during a couple of weeks before deciding to buy or rent. I once was going to purchase a residence and noticed that late night, all sorts of drug dealing went on and that the traffic was ungodly during rush hours during the week. Would never have known if I had just made one or two visits during a weekend for example.

+1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, elnet1 said:

Late night venues look abandoned and serene during the day. That's why its always wise to visit the area you are going to live in during off hours and random times during a couple of weeks before deciding to buy or rent. I once was going to purchase a residence and noticed that late night, all sorts of drug dealing went on and that the traffic was ungodly during rush hours during the week. Would never have known if I had just made one or two visits during a weekend for example.

So the solution is do nothing, go nowhere, risk nothing - just curl up n die?

Use common sense, then commit - what else?

45 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Because, in their culture, a man "of means" does not generally speak in the friendly manner we Westerners do, to a lady who is not "of means."   You treating a non-wealthy lady "as an equal" is perceived by her as a great compliment - as a love-interest expression on your part - what else could it be (from her perspective)?

"Esteem" is one way of seeing this - but this word does not carry the correct meaning in this context.  They view themselves to be in the "not of means" category - due to cultural conditioning - while still respecting themselves in other ways that a Western lady with "no self esteem" would not. 

Funny why this turn up to be more about yourself end that poor guy there was attacked just because he want sleep ?

8 hours ago, TKDfella said:

I am not aware of any noise abatement law in Thailand, though I will stand corrected if other posters say there is. People have parties where the music is very loud, music blasts out from the local municipal field. I suppose there might be some kind 'guide rule' for local establishments (such as not allowed after midnight) but since I have never been to any of these I really don't know. My point is that complaining about excessive noise here is probably going to get no attention at all.

As for the beating, of course that is simply 'not on' as they say and charges should be given...but somehow I doubt it.

Environmental Quality Act B.E.2535 (EPEQA B.E.2535)” which includes noise pollution management scheme.

10 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

I think I know what you are trying to say but Point 1. does not say what you meant it to.  The way you wrote it they are the same!!!   But I agree with what you meant to say, (I think.) 

I realized that after others pointed it out. Wrote the message quickly and did not think much of it. Misuse of prepositions... but I think everyone got the point. So thanks...:sorry:

16 hours ago, HHTel said:

Point 1 = Timeline:  He moved in....... The bar opened.

Point 2 = Timeline:  He moved in....... The bar opened.

Same same!!

If the guy moved in before the bar opened he should have been psychic and known a bar was going to open, he therefore would have known it was going to be noisy and would have foreseen he was going to get a good kicking.  

5 minutes ago, Cranky said:

If the guy moved in before the bar opened he should have been psychic and known a bar was going to open, he therefore would have known it was going to be noisy and would have foreseen he was going to get a good kicking.  

I'll bet he knew I would respond to your post about him getting beat up for asking the Thais to turn the music down.

And he did it anyway

30 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

all bars to close at midnight where do you get this info from.....none ever do close on time....even if THERE IS A LAW.....they stay open if the MONEY is rolling in

"all bars to close at midnight" - This is true. Thai law doesn't say when they can open, so 12:01, now all smiles.

I saw this first hand a couple of years ago, was in a bar and they started shutting the metal shutter doors. I took this as a sign to clear out and downed the rest of my beer. Mama san sees this and runs over, do you want another?  Puzzled, I ask, aren't you closing for the night? And she gives me the "all bars must close by midnight", but Thai law doesn't say when we can open. So, yeah, gives me another beer, I sit down. About 30 seconds later, someone pounds on the metal shutter, they open the door and its a Thai police officer and they start opening all the shutters, smiles all around, all is good.

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Such uncouth and unruly behaviour really does not make one want to stay anywhere near Pattaya.....had it been an isolated incident ok such things can happen....but reports are regularly flowing in on the wild west attitude from Pattaya operators...it is becomming a no man's lawless land....

(no offence please to the usual agressive pro-Pattaya lawyers who will surely once again bash me here, but the facts speak for themselves)

Yes you are right.  And the restaurant owners should behave as well.

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Because, in their culture, a man "of means" does not generally speak in the friendly manner we Westerners do, to a lady who is not "of means."   You treating a non-wealthy lady "as an equal" is perceived by her as a great compliment - as a love-interest expression on your part - what else could it be (from her perspective)?

"Esteem" is one way of seeing this - but this word does not carry the correct meaning in this context.  They view themselves to be in the "not of means" category - due to cultural conditioning - while still respecting themselves in other ways that a Western lady with "no self esteem" would not. 

Deep, meaningful cobblers.  In any country if a bloke approaches a woman and strikes up a conversation it's pretty obvious he's trying to get his leg over. 

Perhaps some "lucky" amulets would have produced a better outcome.  

Poor fellow, headlines and outed back home..... 

How was your holiday?

It was great, went fishing and toured some islands.

Really, says here you got clobbered and like men in skirts.

I think we have a bad connection, I will call you back.

Being a farang  I too would complain   we from the west expect people to respect from  others regards noise !! but it appears not the case with Thai .

if you recall some 3/4 weeks  back a Swiss chap complained about his pizza AT THE PIZZA ART RESTURANT

AT JONTIEM  the staff attacked him and  broke his arm !!!  there is a good thing on this incident  !!! I pass this

pizza  restaurant many times  not many customers !!! most times EMPTY I ,wonder why ???? 

I sympathize with this guy as this was one of the reasons why I got tired of Pattaya and all the Noise Polution that goes on until 4 am. 

But if the truth is being told I highly doubt he got all dressed and then when over there at 2 am all calm and cultured. More likely all pissed off and angry and shouting at the owners and people drinking there. 

Of course I don't know for sure what really happened. But I do know that if you go looking for trouble you will find it here. Also that there is better ways of handing this.  

Thailand is said to mean Land of the free.  The one freedom Thai's definitely have is the freedom to make lots of noise.  If you don't like it don't live near bars or Wats.  And even then you will most likely be exposed to loud block parties and advertising trucks.  And in some villages you will have the early AM news report blasting out.

30 minutes ago, rwill said:

Thailand is said to mean Land of the free.  The one freedom Thai's definitely have is the freedom to make lots of noise.  If you don't like it don't live near bars or Wats.  And even then you will most likely be exposed to loud block parties and advertising trucks.  And in some villages you will have the early AM news report blasting out.

If you ever lived in Pattaya or Jomtien, then you would know that it is very difficult not to live near some Bar or Wat. They are everywhere! When or if you do find a quiet spot, it won't be long before some Bar opens up and moves into that area.

Even if you find an empty field in front of you, it won't be long before the squatters move in or somebody builds some shack for a Bar. I lived there for years and moved several times, and I can't recall one place that I didn't face this noise. Pattaya and Jomtien are just noisy places to live and there is no way I know getting around that unless you move far out of the cities.    

On 12/20/2017 at 1:21 PM, jesimps said:

Took a  while for the first comment from a Thai-bashing policeman. Mate of Suradit?

Nah. From my first memories in England to the ones from all around the World. One lesson I've learnt is that human-nature is the same, in many ways, in all races of people.

You've never seen people ganged-up upon anywhere other than Thailand? I don't believe you if you say you haven't!

Walk into a pub in a city center in the UK late on a Saturday night and insist that the music is turned down, blah...blah...blah.

Good luck with that one!

On 20 December 2017 at 11:03 AM, LazySlipper said:

Nahh doesn't float my boat. Just phrasing it that way for the sensitive PC Thai visa posters here... you don't wanna know what I think of them.

Actually points 1 and 2 are like opposites not really the same at all. This is not a case of whether the chicken came first or the egg. If the guy moved in and the bar was opened before he should have expected some problems.

Whereas if the bar opened after there is no way he could have expected problems prior to moving in...

Ok, but try re-reading your points 1 and 2, I think we all understand what you meant to say, but....