Banpatan - Has anyone used them?

I've had a look at Banpatan who sell architectural drawings for a number of different designs of properties.

With a couple of alterations I think I could possibly use these drawings.

Has anyone had any experience of Banpatan regarding the quality of their house packs and architectural drawings?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have Banpatan plan BP10 at my desk. I paid for a professional translation of the BOQ.  I had the same plan sent to Diamond Building Products. I had two builders look at the plan and BOQ.  It is clearly inflating prices of materials by 20% to benefit people seeking a bank home building loan. The size of the electrical wire is 1.5mm  on the BOQ, but lists 2.5 on the actual plan for sockets with the outdated 1.5 for the ground. The plan bought in December 2017, is not up to date on PEA electrical code. No mention of any 4.0mm wire for a/c or larger water heater. 

The roof lists the a size, yet professional roof estimators at Diamond Building Products in writing stated why the BOQ is incorrect and under estimates by a huge margin the size of the roof, and number of roof tiles to buy. There are so many items left off the BOQ it would be a challenge to set a budget to build that house. 70 cm wide bathroom plastic doors are on the plan. It is a better plan than some I see, but be clear that 5000 baht price is only the start of what you will need to get a design you would be comfortable with. The electrical aspects are something you need to take to a person with experience. No need or planning for a shower heater of any type on that plan. Hot water is not part of the plan. No shower doors. The plan and BOQ you pay for is all in Thai.  I am impressed is shows buying two septic tanks since the home has bathrooms in opposite ends of the house. What Thai is going to spend money on an air pump for each septic tank is a mystery to me. Plenty of photos of that plan on the facebook page, so you can figure out how to contact actual home owners who built from a Banpatan plan to see a home. The plan could be a nice basis to bring to a more experienced draftsman or architect, but do not kid yourself on the BOQ for budget purposes.  They mail you the plan via EMS and send the BOQ via email. 

• 2 weeks later...
I have Banpatan plan BP10 at my desk. I paid for a professional translation of the BOQ.  I had the same plan sent to Diamond Building Products. I had two builders look at the plan and BOQ.  It is clearly inflating prices of materials by 20% to benefit people seeking a bank home building loan. The size of the electrical wire is 1.5mm  on the BOQ, but lists 2.5 on the actual plan for sockets with the outdated 1.5 for the ground. The plan bought in December 2017, is not up to date on PEA electrical code. No mention of any 4.0mm wire for a/c or larger water heater. 
The roof lists the a size, yet professional roof estimators at Diamond Building Products in writing stated why the BOQ is incorrect and under estimates by a huge margin the size of the roof, and number of roof tiles to buy. There are so many items left off the BOQ it would be a challenge to set a budget to build that house. 70 cm wide bathroom plastic doors are on the plan. It is a better plan than some I see, but be clear that 5000 baht price is only the start of what you will need to get a design you would be comfortable with. The electrical aspects are something you need to take to a person with experience. No need or planning for a shower heater of any type on that plan. Hot water is not part of the plan. No shower doors. The plan and BOQ you pay for is all in Thai.  I am impressed is shows buying two septic tanks since the home has bathrooms in opposite ends of the house. What Thai is going to spend money on an air pump for each septic tank is a mystery to me. Plenty of photos of that plan on the facebook page, so you can figure out how to contact actual home owners who built from a Banpatan plan to see a home. The plan could be a nice basis to bring to a more experienced draftsman or architect, but do not kid yourself on the BOQ for budget purposes.  They mail you the plan via EMS and send the BOQ via email. 

BP10 is the property I was looking at. I did want some alterations but could do that from the plans received. So from what you have seen there will be a good amount of extras required dependant on spec requirements?

It is all relative. Sure you could work and make a list of the items you really need to build that attractive home. It would be worth your effort to go see as house built from that plan in rel life. Most every house plan book shows attractive homes, but walking inside can let you know the "real deal".  I suggest you sit down with a qualified builder or a friend who is a qualified experienced builder in Farang Land to see the BOQ and plans to get a grip on what is missing. Certainly worse ways to spend 5000 baht in Thailand when planning a house. That plan gives you a good template.  

It is all relative. Sure you could work and make a list of the items you really need to build that attractive home. It would be worth your effort to go see as house built from that plan in rel life. Most every house plan book shows attractive homes, but walking inside can let you know the "real deal".  I suggest you sit down with a qualified builder or a friend who is a qualified experienced builder in Farang Land to see the BOQ and plans to get a grip on what is missing. Certainly worse ways to spend 5000 baht in Thailand when planning a house. That plan gives you a good template.  

Great points. Thanks. More research to be done. I will check the plans out.

17 hours ago, Cashboy said:

Have a look at the free government drawings that you just submit to your local government planning office.

They are a also a good basis to plan your own house and then get a Thai architect to modify.

http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans/index.html

You will then have to look for the government link from this.

Yep, the architect at the Tessabhan has always been my choice, cheap and of course no problems with building permits when using him. 

I am building BP17 right now. 

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1003921-new-build-in-khon-kaen/

The plans were well designed but I used the only as a starting point. 

First I made some changes. Deleted the Buddha room, deleted the rear stairs, deleted the balcony and master bedroom bathroom making the master bedroom bigger. extended the front balcony by 1m also making the second bedroom 1m bigger, opened a door from the master bedroom to the remaining bathroom thas having access to that bathroom from both the master bedroom and livingroom, re-designed the kitchen,  and included a bathroom laundry room conbo downstairs, included a koi pond under the stairs downstairs. changed the windows from wood to aluminum, and gave the plans to my builder. He in turn gave it to his engineer who redrew the plans and made a 3d google skechup model for me.  I played around with the model for the design of the kitchen, position of switches outlets and lights.  The overall finished  price ended up being 1.7 million (not including the land) but including double cavity  superblock wall   

Both me and my friend whose house he build are Very happy with the builder,   he builds in the Khon Kaen , Kalasin area. PM me if you want his info. 

I am building BP17 right now. 
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1003921-new-build-in-khon-kaen/
The plans were well designed but I used the only as a starting point. 
First I made some changes. Deleted the Buddha room, deleted the rear stairs, deleted the balcony and master bedroom bathroom making the master bedroom bigger. extended the front balcony by 1m also making the second bedroom 1m bigger, opened a door from the master bedroom to the remaining bathroom thas having access to that bathroom from both the master bedroom and livingroom, re-designed the kitchen,  and included a bathroom laundry room conbo downstairs, included a koi pond under the stairs downstairs. changed the windows from wood to aluminum, and gave the plans to my builder. He in turn gave it to his engineer who redrew the plans and made a 3d google skechup model for me.  I played around with the model for the design of the kitchen, position of switches outlets and lights.  The overall finished  price ended up being 1.7 million (not including the land) but including double cavity  superblock wall   
Both me and my friend whose house he build are Very happy with the builder,   he builds in the Khon Kaen , Kalasin area. PM me if you want his info. 

How was using Superblock and what is the cost/advantage is there when using it? I have been checking it out.

The primary advantage of superblock (it goes by many names  . the official name is AAC block) is its superior thermal and sound insulating properties. in addition it is very lite so it reduces the weight load on the structure.   the disadvantage is that it costs more than the traditional red brick or breeze block (though as is becomes more popular costs are coming down). Also many builders are not familiar with it and dont like working with it Yet. They  are  really  very easy to work with and some time soon they will become the primary material used .I used the 7.5 cm wide (which is available everywhere and least expensive)  and did a double cavity wall for all the exterior walls , this type of system not only increases it's insulating properties but also hides the columns.

image.png.0b0257f96d9e5e6557c6b3908a9b0282.png

The primary advantage of superblock (it goes by many names  . the official name is AAC block) is its superior thermal and sound insulating properties. in addition it is very lite so it reduces the weight load on the structure.   the disadvantage is that it costs more than the traditional red brick or breeze block (though as is becomes more popular costs are coming down). Also many builders are not familiar with it and dont like working with it Yet. They  are  really  very easy to work with and some time soon they will become the primary material used .I used the 7.5 cm wide (which is available everywhere and least expensive)  and did a double cavity wall for all the exterior walls , this type of system not only increases it's insulating properties but also hides the columns.
image.png.0b0257f96d9e5e6557c6b3908a9b0282.png

Great info. Thanks. I've been watching a few youtube videos on it. It looks pretty easy and quick to use.