Mosquito Trap

daviddabit

My UV/black hold type trap worked quite well by the number of mosquitoes in the screened area when cleaned but one almost set house on fire last week so will never use again.  The black plastic became an open flame, probably due to motor overheating.  Have had slightly less good results with UV/zapper type fixtures - noise is not always appreciated and a bit hard to keep clean but gets many.  Just make sure lamps are not led type as they do not seem to work at all.  Nor do any of the electronic types.  Have not seen any Co2 types here and they are normally outdoor traps I believe.  And always keep a wand type at hand as a last resort.  They are cheap but do not last too long before charger fails.

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

My UV/black hold type trap worked quite well by the number of mosquitoes in the screened area when cleaned but one almost set house on fire last week so will never use again.  The black plastic became an open flame, probably due to motor overheating.  Have had slightly less good results with UV/zapper type fixtures - noise is not always appreciated and a bit hard to keep clean but gets many.  Just make sure lamps are not led type as they do not seem to work at all.  Nor do any of the electronic types.  Have not seen any Co2 types here and they are normally outdoor traps I believe.  And always keep a wand type at hand as a last resort.  They are cheap but do not last too long before charger fails.

Thank you so much for the tips..  I am considering Black hole but after hearing from you about the overheating I think i better find another alternative...  I am not home all the time and I am quite concern to leave my gf at home alone using it.. 

You are right, i have never seen a C02 unit in Bangkok either..  i found it online and thought of giving it a try  ..  this is the brand Dynatrap DT2000Xl Insect Trap and amazon is selling USD107. 

Thanks alot for the tips again.. it helps alot

2 minutes ago, Arjen said:

In fact the black ones (when you mean the "Black Hole" ARE Co2 types. The UV light shines on a metal part (looks like the "reflector") that part is coated with a thin layer of Titanium DiOxide. (TiO2).Then a chemical reaction finds place what creates Co2 and some Ozon. They also claim that this kills the bacteria and virusses in the air, and  (more important) in the killed insects. 

This is a link with an explanation on how it works. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/the-original-blackhole-mosquito-buster-Wih_1960801704.html

Musquitos are attracked by the UV light, but much more by he produced CoIn the time from SARS many elevators in Hong Kong where equipped with UV lamps and Titanium DiOxide reflectors to try to stop spreading the disease.

Arjen.

Hi Arjen

Thank you for clarifying.  Now I know a little better.. but still a dumb in this subject.  Is there any brand you can recommend to me?  As i have said, I am desperate..  the mosquitoes is going to kill very soon :(

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, what about a bit of prevention ? Get your gardens fogged once a month, some insect screens etc

Hi :)  Yes, i think the best option is to install insect screens, but the insect screen is so ugly :P that's why i never bother to install it

Fogging works?  I mean it is open air and does it last long?

1 minute ago, daviddabit said:

Hi :)  Yes, i think the best option is to install insect screens, but the insect screen is so ugly :P that's why i never bother to install it

Screens also trap mosquitoes that are already inside the house.

8 minutes ago, Arjen said:

"Black Hole" is a brand.

The fans are a problem with the black holes. It looks to me that the fan is not always correctmounted on the shaft, what causes some vibration. This vibration, overheats the motor, with as lopburi3 states can even cause a fire (I did not know this before!!)

Arjen.

Just to be exact it was not a "Black Hole" brand unit but one of the look alikes from China that caught fire - but not really a cheap unit either and it had worked well and bought a second unit - the newer unit was the one that burned so perhaps a defect when made.  But fire was serious as whole unit ablaze and dropping fire around as burning  plastic dropped off.  Smoke could have been a killer at night even if fire did not spread.

5 minutes ago, daviddabit said:

I think fogging works if its done correctly and regularly, all the surrounding follage/breeding areas, on a still day etc. Lots of big resorts do it once a month. It breaks the breeding cycle. My Condo block fogs once a month and it appears to work, but then again I dont know what its like without the fogging.

Just now, Arjen said:

That is correct, but not really a problem. Direct after drinking blood, musquitos seek for a place to rest to digest the blood. They are to heavy to fly a long distance. Usually they stay two to three days in a dark place. After this time they go back to the place where they have been born to lay the eggs. After this business they will direct return to the place where they found there last victim. By trapping them inside they will also not sting you again.

Arjen.

Sorry, you're wrong.

Every mosquito that bites and draws blood is female and pregnant. It needs a source of protein for the eggs to develop. Mosquitoes of both sexes eat and digest plant sap.

Once a female mosquito has drunk it's fill it finds a quiet place to separate the blood cells from the water. Yes, it needs time (less than an hour). They then excrete the water and fly off. Eggs are then laid within two to three days. You don't see them as they don't need any more blood.