PM Prayut shows off to the media his expensive Seiko wristwatch

webfact

What has his Seiko got to do with Prawit's 10m+ baht worth of watches. That's right. Absolutely nothing. 

Quite a lot actually.The difference is Prayuth declared his hoard (many more than the Seiko) and Prawit didn’t.But in both cases there is no explanation of how poorly paid officers can afford to pay millions on watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

He says that several of his watches have been declared with the NACC.That is true.However what is not known and probably never will be is how a very modestly paid officer can afford watches worth in total several millions of Baht.A further comment would be simply to note the vulgarity and low cultural standards of the Bangkok elites who think owning a collection of very expensive watches is somehow "cool" and tasteful.It's not, merely trashy.

You don't know his history,his father left a very valuable plot.of land in Bangkok to his sons,I think there were two brothers,each got approximately 300million Bht,one of them being the man with the 250K Seiko.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

And put Bangkok on fire???

If we are going that way in simplicity of responses i would say:

Yes. Thats better than putting people in oil drums and burn them alive.

If one party is known for atrocities in Thailand its the army.

23 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Quite a lot actually.The difference is Prayuth declared his hoard (many more than the Seiko) and Prawit didn’t.But in both cases there is no explanation of how poorly paid officers can afford to pay millions on watches.

maybe they already had money, it happens you know. families pass down their money

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“Wearing this Seiko, do I look good,” he said jokingly, adding “any wristwatch is all the same, I knew (you) want me to show off (this Seiko) so that it will become an issue. How about the next time I wear an alarm clock around my neck?”

Every time you run into trouble because of your own stupid actions you go back to silly rhetorical questions to deflect attention.

You either lost the plot or you have no clue how to act as a PM. Or both...

Oooooooh, he is such a hoot!

:clap2:

Just forget about ill gotten gains and corruption!

As long as it is "good people" doing it- there is nothing wrong with it!

Oh Prayut you are such a ...what is the word with "c", that I am looking for?

...oh right...."comedian", of course!

:coffee1:

For a national 'leader' to come out with ...I knew (you) want me to show off (this Seiko) so that it will become an issue. How about the next time I wear an alarm clock around my neck?”... is simply careless, thoughtless, unprofessional, unacceptable and sends all the wrong signals. 

Edited by Essaybloke
Polishing my puple prose to accentuate the adjectival anger.

You don't know his history,his father left a very valuable plot.of land in Bangkok to his sons,I think there were two brothers,each got approximately 300million Bht,one of them being the man with the 250K Seiko.

It seems you are the one hazy on the history.The land was sold by Prayuth’s father to the liquor tycoon Charoen through a British Virgin Islands vehicle for what many considered was an inflated price.Whether this was an influence driven scam is a matter on which I could not possibly comment.

Incidentally there is always an excuse why poorly paid Thai officials accumulate vast wealth.Inherited land is common one as is the acquisition of a rich wife.Few but the gullible accept these excuses at face value.

15 minutes ago, jayboy said:

It seems you are the one hazy on the history.The land was sold by Prayuth’s father to the liquor tycoon Charoen through a British Virgin Islands vehicle for what many considered was an inflated price.Whether this was an influence driven scam is a matter on which I could not possibly comment.

Incidentally there is always an excuse why poorly paid Thai officials accumulate vast wealth.Inherited land is common one as is the acquisition of a rich wife.Few but the gullible accept these excuses at face value.

Indeed, the origin of pay-for-position is precisely so that people may enrich themselves at the expense of the common wealth; a ready and well-prepared cover story is not essential, and if you do have one it doesn't need to be that convincing. When you and your friends hold power and influence in a country like Thailand, the madding flock really only needs to be fed chaff. Prawit's little inconveniences will be forgotten soon enough and it will be business as usual.

Edited by PerkinsCuthbert

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

A further comment would be simply to note the vulgarity and low cultural standards of the Bangkok elites who think owning a collection of very expensive watches is somehow "cool" and tasteful.It's not, merely trashy.

It's not only Bangkok "elite" that collect watches, it is done all over the world.  Those who do it usually don't do it to be cool they do it as an investment and because they want to.  Collecting valuable watches is not vulgar, trashy or tasteless, at all, neither does it display low cultural standards (whatever they are).

12 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

"Seiko" and "class" don't seem to chime somehow. 

I'm not so sure about that.A decent Seiko watch is reasonable and understated.Status watches are essentially tacky these days - usually worn by newly rich businessmen, sports stars, gangsters, pimps and of course Thai politicians and other vulgarians.A true gent might be given a decent watch or inherited one but frankly a wrist watch isn't an item he would attach much importance or give much thought to.

Just now, Just Weird said:

It's not only Bangkok "elite" that collect watches, it is done all over the world.  Those who do it usually don't do it to be cool they do it as an investment and because they want to.  Collecting valuable watches is not vulgar, trashy or tasteless, at all, neither does it display low cultural standards (whatever they are).

I disagree.It's a taste normally confined to vulgarians and the nouveaux riches.

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

I'm not so sure about that.A decent Seiko watch is reasonable and understated.Status watches are essentially tacky these days - usually worn by newly rich businessmen, sports stars, gangsters, pimps and of course Thai politicians and other vulgarians.A true gent might be given a decent watch or inherited one but frankly a wrist watch isn't an item he would attach much importance or give much thought to.

You are quite right, dear Sir, it is the wearer as much as the brand of timepiece that exudes class. In the instance under discussion, I think we can agree it is present in neither.

8 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Suddenly in your mind they have become "status" watches, where did that come from?

A true gent probably wouldn't accuse all Thai politicians of being "vulgarians".

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Suddenly in your mind they have become "status" watches, where did that come from?

A true gent probably wouldn't accuse all Thai politicians of being "vulgarians".

There are some notable exceptions it is true, but in my experience the generality of Thai politicians in the last thirty years could aptly be described as vulgarians. I see no reason either why a 'true gent' may not use the term if he think it justified. 

Is not status one of the misplaced reasons for the acquisition of very expensive and show offy watches?

Most Thai politicians are vulgar low grade arrivistes.A few are not but the majority are.In the former category you can bet the likes of Abhisit or Anand don’t collect bling watches.

I never claimed to be a gent but I know what one is.

So obviously Thailand pays it's Generals a few million Thai baht a year or so, and the upper crust of the officer corps can afford lots of expensive bling.  That's interesting to know. 
I wonder if it ever occurs to them the effect of showing off opulence to a population where the average worker or farmer barely makes ends meet? Where an average monthly salary is between 10 to 15K THB per month?  Then they scratch their heads in wonderment and try to puzzle out why Pheu Thai has such grassroots support from the poor and disfranchised.  Hmmmm.

6 minutes ago, connda said:

So obviously Thailand pays it's Generals a few million Thai baht a year or so, and the upper crust of the officer corps can afford lots of expensive bling.  That's interesting to know. 
I wonder if it ever occurs to them the effect of showing off opulence to a population where the average worker or farmer barely makes ends meet? Where an average monthly salary is between 10 to 15K THB per month?  Then they scratch their heads in wonderment and try to puzzle out why Pheu Thai has such grassroots support from the poor and disfranchised.  Hmmmm.

Simple answer is no they don't consider others. Just look at any Thai that makes a few Baht, blinged up with  gold straight away. 

It's all about status and prestige.