Samsung AC "Warm" setting -- does it do anything?

Trujillo

I have a new Samsung AR18 KVFHAWKNST air conditioner and it has a "warm" setting that you can set the maximum temperature at 30 degrees. I tried it last night as the living room was about 20 degrees....It put out a small amount of air but it was not warm at all. I left it on for about half an hour and checked the digital thermometer again and it was the same. 

Do these things actually work? Do I need to call Samsung service center or just chalk it up to false claims? 

Did anyone claim that it heated?  That does not seem to be a current model on Samsung website for Thailand and not see any specs on it anywhere.  Are you sure it is a heating model?  Have you read the instructions?  Heating types are not normally sold in Thailand AFAIK.

As for air conditioners that do heat used one in Beirut and indeed it did provide a little heat but not a room heating experience.  

Just put another jumper on,that's what I resorted to,

Oh and a pair thick socks.plus a couple of those plug

in hot water bottles for bedtime.one thing for sure,I

could never survive a British winter ,now.

regards worgeordie

Bit of a nonsense gimmick really;Since the air conditioner heats the room by taking heat energy from outdoor air, the heating capacity may decrease when outdoor temperature is extremely low. Use an additional heating appliance in combination with the air conditioner if you feel the air conditioner heats insufficiently. :shock1:

http://www.samsung.com/sa_en/support/skp/faq/1010471

Edited by jamieoutlook

Solar brand is all its says, there was black one with wheels which cost ore, but I have one small room i need it in for the few months that it may be cool, three years ago it was pretty cold here for a while. Dont care if it costs 500 baht extra a month, or what ever. I don't like being hot or cold and that's also why i bought a new aircon.

index.jpg

previous post is from another year.   I have two.....for me it works great.   Inside temp. about 10 degrees

higher than outside.   for small or medium sized rooms.   I use it late night and early morning, no need

(for me) to run it all day long.

1 hour ago, VIBE said:

I was thinking the same.  Samsung model with Heat option, does not seam to do anything at all.  Its a bit chilly this morning, so will put it on again to see if anything changes.

The post #4 explains it if you take the time to read it. Thanks Jamie, i have the same thing and had wondered about the HEAT setting. Now i can see it is in fact worthless.

PS The OP had his query answered also, so surely even a basic click on thanks as an acknowledgement would be appropriate. Just the way i see it! 

Edited by happyas

3 minutes ago, happyas said:

The post #44 explains it

That must be post #4 which explains little as the outside temperature is hardly extremely cold in Thailand (anywhere/anytime).  If the heat mode is working it should provide heating here.

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That must be post #4 which explains little as the outside temperature is hardly extremely cold in Thailand (anywhere/anytime).  If the heat mode is working it should provide heating here.

It explains exactly why it is not even slightly efficient even tho it is working [ish] , hence my comment about it being worthless.  from the above they even give advise on how to heat your room, because they admit it is not a good system.

Use an additional heating appliance in combination with the air conditioner if you feel the air conditioner heats insufficiently.

PS    AFAIK these are not reverse cycle units, if they were they would then indeed heat the room very efficiently. You get what you pay for i figure.

Edited by happyas

38 minutes ago, happyas said:

The post #4 explains it if you take the time to read it. Thanks Jamie, i have the same thing and had wondered about the HEAT setting. Now i can see it is in fact worthless.

PS The OP had his query answered also, so surely even a basic click on thanks as an acknowledgement would be appropriate. Just the way i see it! 

It shouldn't be beyond the ability of AC manufacturers to put a heating tube into some models, but potential demand seems not to figure large in LOS.

It's like the cars sold without an airflow to windscreen to deal with misting in foggy conditions. Just because it's not normally a problem, the feature is deleted on sold in Thailand cars, though the slots are there ( but covered ) for cars sold outside Thailand.

When I was in Bahariya, Egypt and it was very, very chilly, the room had an AC unit that they said I could use...at first I said, "What on earth do I need an AC for when it's like 5 degrees outside?"

They turn it on, set it at 27 or something and it pumps out nice, warm air. In minutes it's toasty inside...this Samsung should be able to do the same thing. I don't recall looking at the brand of the one I used in Egypt, but there was no comparison. 

A setting called, "heat" should actually do what it says. 

As Crossy stated...no mention of reverse cycle.  Which I believe is what's need in order to get heat.

If you turn on an AC and then check where the exhaust air goes you will find that air to be quite warm.

A reversable cycle AC does just that and you get the warm air inside the house/room.

I had 3 of these 'heat pumps' in a house in NZ. They worked a treat.

I had Samsung and I didn't like how it warms the air too. I consulted with http://fonko.co.nz/ representative and installed a heat pump instead of air conditioner. Before you install a heat pump, you'll need to consider what kind of supplemental or backup heating you may need to use when the heat pump can't work efficiently. Many heat pumps use supplemental electrical heating, but you might also use some kind of oil burner or an adapted gas furnace. Heat pumps may save you anywhere between 30 and 40 percent or more on your utility bill