SCB v Bangkok Bank v UOB

I've been a loyal and fairly happy customer of SCB for better part of 20 years. I have multiple accounts including one with my wife.

I like SCB mainly due to the plethora of ATMs throughout BKK but in reality, I only draw cash from the ones attached to a branch and especially my local.

My branch was closed for renovation, acct moved, very unhappy with the staff. Using another, lately I've found the service lacking despite a daily balance of 750k. I don't need a lot of service, maybe that's why when I do I expect the women to be very helpful and pleasant. Especially when I'm paying additionally for whatever. Anyway, it's meh.

I assume I'll be needing or helpful to have bkkbnk when I'm 62 for social security deposit. Not many branches but one near home and work.

I established a UOB acct last year. Been doing nothing with it, thought about closing it. Few branches. Plus here is I'd read on TV that  possible to get a loan with wife and I'd thought it might make things easier opening up acct in Singapore in a few years.

Finally, in regard to all of these banks, which if any offer some form of fixed account that I can deposit 400k which meets Immigration requirements for marriage visa and make ..... something on the money?

Appreciate your comments, I'm going away for holiday and will be without Internet. I'll have a look at your comments upon my return. Thank you.

PS please don't tell me about other banks, especially K Bank and TMB

17 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Finally, in regard to all of these banks, which if any offer some form of fixed account that I can deposit 400k which meets Immigration requirements for marriage visa and make ..... something on the money?

I think most banks have standard fixed term accounts that would meet immigration's requirements. The funds must be available for withdrawal without any delay and have no penalty other than loss of interest.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think most banks have standard fixed term accounts that would meet immigration's requirements. The funds must be available for withdrawal without any delay and have no penalty other than loss of interest.

Thanks, similar to a US certificate of deposit. I'm going to assume also that bank rates are largely the same.

Are these simply named, fixed deposits?

I've been with Bangkok Bank for around  a decade...have several savings account to include the Special Direct Deposit account need for US govt benefit payments.  And for three years of so I used a Bangkok Bank fixed deposit account for the Bt800K needed for my annual retirement extension of stay renewal.   Bangkok Bank charges Bt200 for the letter you need to provide to immigration....takes the bank about 10 minutes to generate the letter.   Never a problem with immigration accepting the letter. 

But after interest rates took a dive a couple years ago I stopped using a fixed account.  Now I just keep my BIG money used for the retirement extension/emergencies in a Krungsri Mee Tai Dai saving account which pays pretty close to fixed account rates and their is no tax withholding unless exceeding Bt20K interest earned per year.  With a fixed account the 15% tax withholding applies for any amount of interest earned.   I also still have my Bangkok Bank regular/direct deposit accounts.   

Never had an account with SCB or UOB.

It certainly depends on where you reside. In Bangkok I have used BBL, SCB, LH, TMB, CITI, and KBank. BBL and KBank for more than 10 years. All have provided reasonable account services except CITI, but most have limited english capability. My best experience has been with BBL for customer service and immigration needs. BBL ATM all around BKK. 

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

UOB is very good, I've been with them for over five years and can confirm they beat the local Thai banks by yards, in every category.

They beat Thai banks in availability of ATM's?  Or do they allow free use of others?

Just now, lopburi3 said:

They beat Thai banks in availability of ATM's?  Or do they allow free use of others?

No and I don't know - when I wrote what I did I was thinking in terms of branch-based products and services, security, efficiency etc.

13 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

UOB is very good, I've been with them for over five years and can confirm they beat the local Thai banks by yards, in every category.

Is UOB on the ATM network? When HSBC was still dealing with customer accounts that was their major drawback, that you had to use one of their ATMs. 

I just opened a Fixed Term Account this week with UOB in Chiang Mai to spread monies around several banks. It took over 2 hours just to open a straightforward account and then they had to come to my house the next day as they hadnt collected all my required signatures.

If you want that kind of service you are welcome, but not for me again!

Bangkok Bank's withdrawal of Visa debit service, replaced with Union Pay, is enough for me to move accounts. There's not enough shops, restaurants etc that will accept Union Pay - forget using it online for flight purchases etc - and Bkk bank's refusal to issue me a Visa debit card has left me with little choice. Ironically I moved my account to SCB and I find them fine for what I need

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk