Where to get foreign food groceries you can't find in CM?

stargazer9999

I can't complain too much about the large selection of foreign food groceries available in CM.  With Rimping supermarket and other specialty stores I can pretty much get anything I need.

There are some items I can't find here but have seen in BKK and Hua Hin.  On example is a box of Rice Pilaf (like Near East brand).  I found it in a BKK Foodland years ago but can't find it anywhere now.  Another is Planter's peanuts  I found them in Hua Hin last year.  I can live without either but I'm curious if there's a way to get them to CM.

Are there online sites to order unusual or unavailable items in CM from somewhere else in Thailand?  Is it legal to ship food items from overseas?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to keep in mind; the Rimping markets don't all carry the same things. What Rimping by the river has might not be found in Rimping Nim City, etc.  Same holds true for the Tops stores as well. It's best not to write one chain off simply because what was wanted wasn't found in one of the stores.  Pain in the ass but in the long run it's worth it to check out ALL the different branches.

Of course you should never forget our good friends at http://sausagekingone.com  in Chiang Mai who have an extensive collection of British food favourites like pies, sausage rolls,curries, etc which can be ordered online and even delivered to your door anywhere in Thailand.  They sometimes get some 'unusual or unavailable' items too in their 'Extras' section.  

The thing I miss over here are oven roast potatoes which are great to cook from frozen in my halogen oven so if anyone has found somewhere that sells them please let me know. 

Edited by trevoromgh

I consider Rob Sausage King's Burmese Beef Curry, made to his wife's Amy's recipe  from back home, to be the tastiest Curry in CM.

john

Rob's planning an order from his Chonburi suppler of UK imported foods so pester him to get a move on on whatever you like.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Rimping is known for buying a load of a specific product which when it's sold, doesn't reappear for weeks, months or even at all - Planters nuts are available from time to time at the Ruamchok Branch at least.

The fact that many items appear from time to time, but without a continuous supply is perhaps the most annoying feature of expensive supermarkets like Rimping, or Tops. When I last did a 90 day at Promenada I bought the entire stock ( 5 bottles )of Fountain BBQ sauce, as it isn't available at Big C or even Tops ( though it used to be stocked at Tops ). I don't want to have to store 4 bottles, but who can say if it's been replaced?

Some types of food not stocked anywhere is just puzzling. I've never seen powdered tomato soup anywhere, while other flavours are available. Some that used to be stocked is no longer, like Heinz hot dog relish.

Seems that just because a particular food gets sold is no reason to keep stocking it :crying:.

Kasem shop were the original stockists of farang items in chiangmai,

They have an incredible range of fresh baked foods as we..

the chicken and vegetable pie for 55 baht is the best in chiangmai.

try giving them a go......there is one in nimmenheimin.

address will be found by googling Kasem food store chiang mai.

god damn they do good pies....

3 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Of course you should never forget our good friends at http://sausagekingone.com  in Chiang Mai who have an extensive collection of British food favourites like pies, sausage rolls,curries, etc which can be ordered online and even delivered to your door anywhere in Thailand.  They sometimes get some 'unusual or unavailable' items too in their 'Extras' section.  

The thing I miss over here are oven roast potatoes which are great to cook from frozen in my halogen oven so if anyone has found somewhere that sells them please let me know. 

I buy "skin on wedges"..... brand Farmrites, from Makro, Mae Hia in the freezer section.There's 2 choices if thats close to what you are looking for.

Like someone else said, each and every Tops and Rimping has different stock. You need to check all of them. Also why not do what we do - when we are in Bangkok a few times per year we stock up on all the things we want and can't find here and send them to our house by post in a big box.

Also you can find many items like hard to find condiments, etc. on www.iherb.com/

27 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

I buy "skin on wedges"..... brand Farmrites, from Makro, Mae Hia in the freezer section.There's 2 choices if thats close to what you are looking for.

Thanks for the suggestion but they are more like fries rather than roast potatoes I'm looking for.

4 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

May not be available in your area,but Tesco at Hua Hin have a selection of finest items,not enough actually,but they do have finest roast potatoes. 

Have been looking in one or two of our local Tesco shops but they don't have much frozen food selection and very few of the Finest collection.  Will have to drive to the Hang Dong shop as perhaps they might have a more extensive choice.

I understand the only items subject to quarantine are meat products. As another poster has said, it's sometimes considerably cheaper to fly in with a favorite foodstuff.

Easier to do without if it's not available, although Rimping has a huge range of imported foods.

6 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Odd as I find the local potato very good in both taste and quality (imports not at all). Why not make them from fresh ingredients- not hard.

6 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Rimping is known for buying a load of a specific product which when it's sold, doesn't reappear for weeks, months or even at all - Planters nuts are available from time to time at the Ruamchok Branch at least.

Yup, but why oh why do they order so many of the  ‘dry roasted’ variety in the ‘unsalted’ version?  They always sit on the shelf well after the ‘salted’ ones are gone, just teasing me with their blandness...;)

40 minutes ago, Sir Swagman said:

Odd as I find the local potato very good in both taste and quality (imports not at all). Why not make them from fresh ingredients- not hard.

B K are currently advertising that their chips are "imported". I have no idea as to why that would be a draw card as I've never had a problem with the Thai grown ones.

21 minutes ago, flare said:

Yup, but why oh why do they order so many of the  ‘dry roasted’ variety in the ‘unsalted’ version?  They always sit on the shelf well after the ‘salted’ ones are gone, just teasing me with their blandness...;)

Apparently you can buy these new fangled non high tech devices now-a-days to help your dire predicament :whistling:                                Image result for salt shaker

5 hours ago, kalbo123 said:

order online..you can buy everything online these days.

KPK foods deliver my Branston Pickle .  They do a range of western foods that are difficult to get anywhere else.  I have no remit for them as a company, but they do okay by me, no complaints. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The fact that many items appear from time to time, but without a continuous supply is perhaps the most annoying feature of expensive supermarkets like Rimping, or Tops. When I last did a 90 day at Promenada I bought the entire stock ( 5 bottles )of Fountain BBQ sauce, as it isn't available at Big C or even Tops ( though it used to be stocked at Tops ). I don't want to have to store 4 bottles, but who can say if it's been replaced?

Some types of food not stocked anywhere is just puzzling. I've never seen powdered tomato soup anywhere, while other flavours are available. Some that used to be stocked is no longer, like Heinz hot dog relish.

Seems that just because a particular food gets sold is no reason to keep stocking it :crying:.

I find Rimping to be a exercise in frustration oft times.  I'm simply amazed at their selection of stuff that I don't want to purchase, and then the inability to find those things that I do wish to buy. 
As long as we're on the subject of finding foods, I'm looking for a place that sells molasses.  I bought some a Kasems but it's going on the compost heap.  It's so bitter it's not palatable.  Not complaining about Kasem, there is a lot I buy there, but molasses won't be on my list.  I haven't been able to find it in Rimping on the river.  Still looking for other places.  Often the problem is that things aren't stocked in a logical order.  I'd expect to find molasses either with sugar products or in the baking section.  If I can't find it there I'm not sure where else to check.

1 hour ago, Sir Swagman said:

They ain't Idaho spuds, but they sure aren't bad either.  Wish I could find seed stock to plant in the back garden.

22 minutes ago, happyas said:

Apparently you can buy these new fangled non high tech devices now-a-days to help your dire predicament :whistling:                                Image result for salt shaker

By Jimminy Dr. Watson, you've done it again.  Good one old boy!  Bravo!!!

26 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

KPK foods deliver my Branston Pickle .  They do a range of western foods that are difficult to get anywhere else.  I have no remit for them as a company, but they do okay by me, no complaints. 

Does KPK ship through out Thailand?