Thais working abroad prone to exploitation

rooster59

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

I envy you.  Sattahip cop arriving ten minutes later, decided I was at fault for allowing two Thai tearaways to crash into my stationary car at 90kph.  If I didn't pay he would confiscate my passport; would make getting my next visa difficult.  His verdict cost me about 80K + my wife pawned her gold to pay him under the table.

A very familiar situation in Thailand. "If the farang had not been in Thailand, this would have never happened."  By extension, "if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass."   :sad:

From what I saw of asian exploitation was usually asians exploiting their own people or other asians. Examples were massage establishments in California. Most were Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, and a couple Mexican. I laughed at the big media hype of sex trafficking. The instances of people "forced" to work for free from what I saw were people who were repaying the employers loans for travel, visas, and living expenses. For a 1 hr massage a worker was paid $25, but often workers would only get 1 or 2 customers a day. They would sit there for 12 hours a day for $25 or $50. Another exploitive business were ethnic restaurants, I knew several places where employers would hire cooks, and other staff with expired or forged visas. Paid with a cut of the profits, and all tips were split between all workers occasionally even owners. 

6 hours ago, Thaimike370 said:

Dave 67, the problem with novice farangs they let their B***s rule their brains.

Mike Bell, never had a problem with the police, get stopped every Christmas, New year if I drive I drink Coke, if I drink beer my wife drives or I get a taxi.  Always found police polite and been treated with respect.

Akampa, If Thai and UK. government had the same agreement as the Uk government and the Philippines, we Brits would have a lot more money to spend here in Thailand.

Yes the Philippines agreement is hard to understand ... and harder still for the UK government to explain. So they don't try. 

13 hours ago, mikebell said:

I envy you.  Sattahip cop arriving ten minutes later, decided I was at fault for allowing two Thai tearaways to crash into my stationary car at 90kph.  If I didn't pay he would confiscate my passport; would make getting my next visa difficult.  His verdict cost me about 80K + my wife pawned her gold to pay him under the table.

Confiscation of your passport would have been interesting. As far as I know, BS apart, he wouldn't have had the right. Not least because it's not your passport; it's your government's.

17 hours ago, akampa said:

If they would make it easier for foreigners living in Thailand we could make a really large substantial contribution to the local economy.

Really large huge substantial contribution no doubt. In what way may I ask? Not teaching english obviously.

10 hours ago, 01322521959 said:

Good, give them a taste of their own medicine. As a foreigner here for some years, I regularly face discrimination here. Zero sympathy. 

:saai:

You do understand that the ones beeing exploited in other countries would be/were most probably exploited in Thailand as well?

That gleefully enjoying their misery is making fun of the victims, and doesn't hurt the criminals and corrupt officials doing the exploitation one bit?

On the contrary... they probably get their cut for setting this kind of deals up.. "hey, young girl, woud you like a very well paying job as a.. um.. waitress in a western.. ba..mmh.. restaurant? I could help you for the low, low fee of..."

Anyway... your "discrimination" can't be that bad, you're still there. Or did "they" take your passport and you can't get out?

10 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Confiscation of your passport would have been interesting. As far as I know, BS apart, he wouldn't have had the right. Not least because it's not your passport; it's your government's.

Wrong my friend one in BK took mine and one hell of a job to get it back, but will get the last laugh as his face all over the net very soon and as for the computer crimes act you know where they can stuff it. They do this to farangs to get the money, farang do it to them now just because we can, little S>>> cost me thousands of the 100 type £ now its my turn.

11 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Simply report it lost and get a new one.  It will just sit in a bent copper's drawer forgotten forever.

15 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Like this very much

It's actually more appropriate / more moral / more ethical / more aligned to the basics of human rights that all people should never be subject to any form of abuse or being taken advantage of, no matter where they are located.

35 minutes ago, scorecard said:

It's actually more appropriate / more moral / more ethical / more aligned to the basics of human rights that all people should never be subject to any form of abuse or being taken advantage of, no matter where they are located.

Best not to stay here then

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Point taken, the reality is of course that unfortunately this stufff happens everywhere.  

True, but no matter how many times I tell myself to stop Thailand bashing and put my rose-coloured specs back on they just keep misting up.

On 12/23/2017 at 7:34 AM, rooster59 said:

ACADEMICS expressed concern over an increasing trend of Thais seeking illegal ways to work abroad, which made them vulnerable to becoming victims of human trafficking and exploitation by their employer.

And pointed at some Burmese workers (sitting obediently in the corner) as an example, such that all Thais could fully appreciate the problem thru first hand experience

Thai people are seeking easier but illegal ways to work in other countries, mostly South Korea, Taiwan, and Malaysia

Why? The why of it should be the primary focus of any research by acedemics, as this would likely expose social and economical motivators to seek work elsewhere.... motivators that might be addressed to reduce the need to seek overseas work and risk exploitation (perhaps)

PM P, on Thursday night, was all blah blah on redistrinuting the wealth, from the One percenters ( not bikers... the wealthy one percent)... lower profit margins and increase wages perhaps.

?????. Increased wages will stop the “brain drain” ????

Kritaya said that working abroad can bring in higher income than in Thailand and it is the right of people to reside and work in another country.

Really?.... do I have the “right” to reside and work here? Obviously the answer is no. Regardless of how hard or easy it is to get a work permit... it’s still work by permission, not by “right”.

The exploitation starts before they even leave Thailand,for the job that

may or not be there, paying serious money to job brokers,getting deep

in debt,just to get the job,exploited by their fellow Thai,s.

regards worgeordie

19 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

What would have been "interesting" would be seeing what happened if he told the officer that he didn't have the right because the passport belongs to his government. Thai police are superior to all foreign governments, if you don't believe it.......ASK THEM.

Do people from India have different rules for a work permit.... i know the guy i got the food from only had 1 employee.. himself.. the two indian restaurants dont have the 4 ro one unless it is the 4 Indonesians to 1 thai ratio.

They are on second road so it is on a busy  street.

23 hours ago, Jools said:

A very familiar situation in Thailand. "If the farang had not been in Thailand, this would have never happened."  By extension, "if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass."   :sad:

A front an rearview camera with audio makea the situation better worth every baht.

On 12/24/2017 at 1:07 PM, Cranky said:

True, but no matter how many times I tell myself to stop Thailand bashing and put my rose-coloured specs back on they just keep misting up.

Definition of bash:

1. strong and usually unfair public criticism of a particular group or person

Seems like many people who accuse Expats of bashing Thailand are using a different definition of the word.