Democracy must have good governance, says Prayut

webfact

Democracy must have good governance, says Prayut

By The Nation

5779bc48ab64962d9fb5e3d5464d5268-sld.jpg

PM Prayut pays worship to Phra Phuttha Chinnarat at Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat in Phitsanulok province

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Monday addressed a group of people with disabilities, who came to see him during his fourth mobile Cabinet meeting in Phitsanulok province, with a rhetorical question: Do they want to have an election to find someone else to replace him?

If so, he said, he just wished that the new leader would work hard for the people.

Prayut went on to say that the new government should cling to the national strategy, or otherwise the state budget would be spent in a wasteful manner. They should also take care of people with disabilities, he said.

Prayut also met a group of farmers who filed a complaint with him about plunging rice prices. Some asked him to help find new water sources as water there is scarce during the dry season.

The Prime Minister also spoke about democracy, stressing that it should be equipped with governance and fairness.

At Piboonsongkram Rajabhat University, where he gave away land-use deeds to people in 14 the Northern provinces, PM Prayut said while it was true that the government should govern through democracy, that democracy must be equipped with good governance and fairness. Resources must be distributed fairly to all groups of people, and his government had been working on that during the past three years.

Prayut said he stepped in to office to get things back into order, not to create a burden for everyone. For example, he said, people could not let loose and encroach on forests; they should use the land as allowed.

Most important was creating a better quality of life for all people, and this was the ultimate goal of the national strategy, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30334757

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-26

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to admit when he took over i was one of the not to optomistic people about how things would go . Coming from a democratic and only knowing democracy.

But now after what 4 years I walk around Thailand and wonder if I was wrong to judge so quick.

I see improvements in daily life. I go to the market can park my motorcycle near the market he took Yamaha motorcycles off the street and put them back in the showroom . They use to sit outside all day and take all the parking.He has opened parking near our bus station by removing illegal vendors. He has closed down 2 hillside girlslave brothels that I know were here maybe more.

I go to Pattaya now it is not a bunch of drunk european men walking around with no shirts.

These are just things that are easily visible and are major changes on how things are done in Thailand.

It would be nice if others could mention things he has done you see regularly that appears to be for the better..

14 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I have to admit when he took over i was one of the not to optomistic people about how things would go . Coming from a democratic and only knowing democracy.

But now after what 4 years I walk around Thailand and wonder if I was wrong to judge so quick.

I see improvements in daily life. I go to the market can park my motorcycle near the market he took Yamaha motorcycles off the street and put them back in the showroom . They use to sit outside all day and take all the parking.He has opened parking near our bus station by removing illegal vendors. He has closed down 2 hillside girlslave brothels that I know were here maybe more.

I go to Pattaya now it is not a bunch of drunk european men walking around with no shirts.

These are just things that are easily visible and are major changes on how things are done in Thailand.

It would be nice if others could mention things he has done you see regularly that appears to be for the better..

Removal of essential rights, arbitrary detention and unfair laws are a small price to pay for the pleasure of parking easily  one's motorbike!  :cheesy:

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Do they want to have an election to find someone else to replace him?

Let them choose

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Most important was creating a better quality of life for all people, and this was the ultimate goal of the national strategy, he said

Stop making rhetoric and lead by example, send Prawit packing to show a true anti corruption stance otherwise it's just all nonsense

2 hours ago, candide said:

Removal of essential rights, arbitrary detention and unfair laws are a small price to pay for the pleasure of parking easily  one's motorbike!  :cheesy:

Yes he is heavy handed. But how well is the rest of the world doing with their hugs and soft touchy feeling doing?

Some times to get your point across you need to hit hard and unforgiving.

Thailand is not a democracy for sure but it appears to be on its way to creating a better life for most. More money is going to the old and poor..  

If you were Thai and had a choice between Prayut or Merkel (German chancellor)who would you chose.

Edited by lovelomsak

I'm fortunate, I got a good education and became a doer and not a teacher (although I have always taught apprentices and latterly uni graduates). 

However I must acknowledge the many teachers who responded to this thread.

Don't blame the system...blame yourselves for a piss poor outcome.

How many decades of English teaching experience are on this forum...all whining about the low level of English literacy amongst the Thai people?

Don't blame the student.

3 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

No...you will always get the bad news...no more than 5 people meeting in a political meeting........like that was a problem before.

And a lot of other stuff....so irrelevant I can't remember what is was!

There will be many posters knocking both you and me for these comments.......but what the heck....

10 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I'm fortunate, I got a good education and became a doer and not a teacher (although I have always taught apprentices and latterly uni graduates). 

However I must acknowledge the many teachers who responded to this thread.

Don't blame the system...blame yourselves for a piss poor outcome.

How many decades of English teaching experience are on this forum...all whining about the low level of English literacy amongst the Thai people?

Don't blame the student.

I can understand the Thais low level of english but what I do not understand is how so many British cannot speak understandable english.

34 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Yes he is heavy handed. But how well is the rest of the world doing with their hugs and soft touchy feeling doing?

Some times to get your point across you need to hit hard and unforgiving.

Thailand is not a democracy for sure but it appears to be on its way to creating a better life for most. More money is going to the old and poor..  

If you were Thai and had a choice between Prayut or Merkel (German chancellor)who would you chose.

Merkel, by a country mile.

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:
4 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Soldiers belong in barracks and tents, not offices

until they are needed. Then we all give thanks.

The only time a soldier is needed is to defend the country, never to govern it, and I would never be thankful for them doing that.

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

If you were Thai and had a choice between Prayut or Merkel (German chancellor)who would you chose

This is a purely hypothetical question as the Thai did not have the right to choose between Prayuth and anyone else.

4 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

There are no improvements visible in Pattaya. People (Thai) are sourer than ever... but I live IN Pattaya, so what would I know. I certainly don't make assumptions about other places I don't know anything about. I don't understand why Thai people in Pattaya are becoming less pleasant than usual, but it could well be because there are fewer drunk "european" tourists walking around. LOL

The comment about "drunk European men walking around with no shirts" is absurd. Apart from the fact it's a beach resort, the military government hasn't made walking around Pattaya with no shirts and/or drunk illegal, so the only reason you'll see less of them is that there are fewer tourists of nationalities you obviously dislike. There are certainly far fewer Russians around these days, but that has nothing to do with Prayut. Perhaps you included Russians in your "european men walking around with no shirts" group? Fortunately for you, there has been a major increase in Chinese, Indian and Middle Eastern tourists to compensate for the fewer "european ' tourists. They don't normally walk around shirtless, so you will probably enjoy their company more.

New Immigration hassles are no improvement for thousands of perfectly legal expats. By increasing the number of ridiculous "hoops" they have to jump through, all they are doing is making them feel unwelcome and many are leaving. That could be another reason why people like you notice fewer shirtless Farang around Pattaya. I haven't noticed much difference as the change has been gradual and ongoing for many years, starting well before the 2014 coup.

I have noticed more rogue cops after cash payments on the streets. This wasn't expected as we all thought police corruption was going to be stamped out. It was all talk.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

The only time a soldier is needed is to defend the country, never to govern it, and I would never be thankful for them doing that.

Yes, exactly. Every time there is a military coup we set the clock back to 1932, when the first military group successfully overthrew the absolute monarchy. Thailand has been experimenting with democracy ever since. The current military regime probably has the strongest foothold in 85 years. These experiments just cost a lot of money and aggravation. Why not call a spade a spade and stop pretending.

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Prayut installed himself, so the question is irrelevant. The Thai people had no choice. I don't know what Merkel has to do with this?

The only way for democracy to work in Thailand is for the military to be under the control of the government. That has never been the case in Thailand, so political parties (prime ministers) have always served at the pleasure of the military commanders. Now we see a case of a military leader working hard to ensure that any elected leader will be a puppet on a very short string.

You asked the question, so here's my answer. Any genuinely elected leader is preferable to a general, no matter how bad they may be. There are democratic ways to change leadership. Tanks are not necessary. It amazes me that the current leadership has a huge expat fan club on here.

7 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

He took Yamaha bikes off the streets??

Hot damn, how could I have missed that! Yet another item to add to the list of grand achievements by the junta leader!!!!

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Prayut installed himself, so the question is irrelevant. The Thai people had no choice. I don't know what Merkel has to do with this?

The only way for democracy to work in Thailand is for the military to be under the control of the government. That has never been the case in Thailand, so political parties (prime ministers) have always served at the pleasure of the military commanders. Now we see a case of a military leader working hard to ensure that any elected leader will be a puppet on a very short string.

You asked the question, so here's my answer. Any genuinely elected leader is preferable to a general, no matter how bad they may be. There are democratic ways to change leadership. Tanks are not necessary. It amazes me that the current leadership has a huge expat fan club on here.

I agree with everything you say except the assertion the junta leader has a huge expat fan base. More than 3 years after the coup the small fan club he has left are people who are so far gone it's really a total waste of time debating with them.

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha is doing a good job in stopping voilence, maintaining economic stability, and keeping Thailand ticking over with various agricultural rural programs in place to assist farmers, something that the previous failed to do.

Many tv keyboard warriors just sit behind their pc's and complain, whinge, whine and carry on, well maybe it's time to stop your constant whinging and move. Yes go to Cambodia or Laos where the sun shines and you can enjoy 2018.

Another great year ahead for the Junta and Thailand ... !!    happy xmas to the TV members who like Thailand and the governance,  and the rest ...well they can gth. lol

5779bc48ab64962d9fb5e3d5464d5268-sld.jpg

6 hours ago, tropo said:

There are no improvements visible in Pattaya. People (Thai) are sourer than ever... but I live IN Pattaya, so what would I know. I certainly don't make assumptions about other places I don't know anything about. I don't understand why Thai people in Pattaya are becoming less pleasant than usual, but it could well be because there are fewer drunk "european" tourists walking around. LOL

The comment about "drunk European men walking around with no shirts" is absurd. Apart from the fact it's a beach resort, the military government hasn't made walking around Pattaya with no shirts and/or drunk illegal, so the only reason you'll see less of them is that there are fewer tourists of nationalities you obviously dislike. There are certainly far fewer Russians around these days, but that has nothing to do with Prayut. Perhaps you included Russians in your "european men walking around with no shirts" group? Fortunately for you, there has been a major increase in Chinese, Indian and Middle Eastern tourists to compensate for the fewer "european ' tourists. They don't normally walk around shirtless, so you will probably enjoy their company more.

New Immigration hassles are no improvement for thousands of perfectly legal expats. By increasing the number of ridiculous "hoops" they have to jump through, all they are doing is making them feel unwelcome and many are leaving. That could be another reason why people like you notice fewer shirtless Farang around Pattaya. I haven't noticed much difference as the change has been gradual and ongoing for many years, starting well before the 2014 coup.

I have noticed more rogue cops after cash payments on the streets. This wasn't expected as we all thought police corruption was going to be stamped out. It was all talk.

Well said!

As stated many times before the present rulers have only enriched themselves and their cronies, they have done the sum total of fucj all to sort out the country or heal any rifts

Amusing to hear the anti democracy people on here (Steven I am speaking about you and a few other cretins...) try to justify a blatant power grab at the end of a barrel of a gun when the instigators have failed massively in their stated aims, gets clearer every time they speak as to what they really think....

Edited by mark131v