Best music is from last century?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, malibukid said:

good music is good music and will past the test of time.  i doubt if any of  

current drek will be around a hundred years from now.  l are.  

most of  today's generation have as serious ADD problem.  they simply know nothing about music history

Or you could even say: they don't know anything about music...stop!

To be part of a major band, in the good old days, one needed to be an accomplished musician, first and foremost...not a pretty boy...

Some of these guys, such as Paul Mc Cartney or Mike Oldfield, for example, were able to compose the music and lyrics of a whole album, and play all the required instruments themselves!

Who can do that nowadays?

More generally, many posts above miss the tree for the fruits.

All these bands they name were fruits that grew from seeds that had been planted by the "founders", the great bluesman upon whose blues music all the rock music, and its different branches, grew.

Major musicians, such as Eric Clapton, Gregg Allman, Johnny Winter and others readily acknowledge that they got all their training and inspiration from these elderly bluesmen, like Sonny Boy Williamson, Muddy Waters, BB King and others.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Would you mind providing some names?

The rock music I like most usually gets classified as “indie rock,” or “independent-label,” meaning the artists maintain some control over their music, although these artists/bands all have wide followings, among sixty-somethings as well as young adults, and get good marketing. My Morning Jacket, the Drive-By Truckers, Dinosaur Jr., and Sleater-Kinney pretty much play straight-up rock and roll; Arcade Fire, Okkervil River, and the Decemberists go off in other directions. The Walkmen and Parquet Courts have done some brilliant work in the past five years or so. LCD Soundsystem is more dance oriented. Then there are people like Nick Cave and Robyn Hitchcock, who have been around for almost as long as Bob Dylan or Neil Young (or Richard Thompson, another of the “greats”). Sonic Youth did their best work in the 1990s but I’m listening more to them now; if their song “Youth against Fascism” (1992) doesn’t make you jump up and down, you’ve got broken legs!

Last century has the best music? Nope. Not if longevity is the deciding factor. 18th and 19th centuries is the best. Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin and a bunch of others.

I doubt very much if any sizable portion of the music of the 20th century will be played in the 21st and 22nd century.

2 hours ago, AJBangkok said:

The godfather of reggae Jimmy Cliff

you like those black singers? They are the same kind of people UK doesn't want to have. Emigrants from? We should be tolerant in our days to let them in our country. They are a bonus for poor culture in UK.

Last century has the best music? Nope. Not if longevity is the deciding factor. 18th and 19th centuries is the best. Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin and a bunch of others.
I doubt very much if any sizable portion of the music of the 20th century will be played in the 21st and 22nd century.

I get your drift. I think Pink Floyd, Led Zepp etc. will be played for years to come.

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Or you could even say: they don't know anything about music...stop!

To be part of a major band, in the good old days, one needed to be an accomplished musician, first and foremost...not a pretty boy...

Some of these guys, such as Paul Mc Cartney or Mike Oldfield, for example, were able to compose the music and lyrics of a whole album, and play all the required instruments themselves!

Who can do that nowadays?

More generally, many posts above miss the tree for the fruits.

All these bands they name were fruits that grew from seeds that had been planted by the "founders", the great bluesman upon whose blues music all the rock music, and its different branches, grew.

Major musicians, such as Eric Clapton, Gregg Allman, Johnny Winter and others readily acknowledge that they got all their training and inspiration from these elderly bluesmen, like Sonny Boy Williamson, Muddy Waters, BB King and others.

right on, groups like the Yardbirds, Beatles, Stones all covered the old Black guy's from the Delta and respected them and learned from them..same with some of the old Country/Folkie guys like Woody Guthrie whom Dylan admired. this was what could be called American music music of  before America before America could produce it's own  "Classical" early in the 20th with composers like Copland.  American Classical music had it roots in the American Folk movement in the 19th Century so you could say that American Jazz, Classical, Rock, Country, Folk all have a common ancestor in a sense.

10 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

The rock music I like most usually gets classified as “indie rock,” or “independent-label,” meaning the artists maintain some control over their music, although these artists/bands all have wide followings, among sixty-somethings as well as young adults, and get good marketing. My Morning Jacket, the Drive-By Truckers, Dinosaur Jr., and Sleater-Kinney pretty much play straight-up rock and roll; Arcade Fire, Okkervil River, and the Decemberists go off in other directions. The Walkmen and Parquet Courts have done some brilliant work in the past five years or so. LCD Soundsystem is more dance oriented. Then there are people like Nick Cave and Robyn Hitchcock, who have been around for almost as long as Bob Dylan or Neil Young (or Richard Thompson, another of the “greats”). Sonic Youth did their best work in the 1990s but I’m listening more to them now; if their song “Youth against Fascism” (1992) doesn’t make you jump up and down, you’ve got broken legs!

you can still find some great music in small clubs around the world, it just never gets played or goes mainstream.  most of the time you have to buy the CD at the door which is cool.  all cost go directly to the band. i kinda like that.  i remember execs at Warners throwing a fit when the Dead stated to let Tapers into their shows. finally the "suits" realized that it was a great marketing tool.  lol

2 minutes ago, malibukid said:

you can still find some great music in small clubs around the world, it just never gets played or goes mainstream.  most of the time you have to buy the CD at the door which is cool.  all cost go directly to the band. i kinda like that.  i remember execs at Warners throwing a fit when the Dead stated to let Tapers into their shows. finally the "suits" realized that it was a great marketing tool.  lol

And you can get the band members to sign your copy of the CD! I remember having a conversation with Jon Langford of the Mekons after one of their shows, when some band members mingled with the crowd after the show. The Mekons are not "mainstream" but they've been around forever and have put out a few dozen albums.

22 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Obviously music created in the 1960s and 1970s cannot have the same proven longevity as the one created one or two hundred years before.

Having said that, we are in the 21st century and rock music is still here...it is even adopted by the huge Supeheroes movie industry, as shown recently in Thor Ragnarok with the major input of Led Zep.

Looking further than that, one might wonder if, beyond music, anything will survive...not very likely considering the path we are on...

13 minutes ago, malibukid said:

Richard Thompson formerly of Fairport Convention great guitarist, can play just about any musical genre. completely under rated.  saw him in SB a few years ago, the whole English folk rock scene that blended elements of traditional English music read, renaissance, with Jazz and Rock.  late 60's early 70's, thinking Pentangle

22 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

You're probably right; what's most likely to last from the twentieth century is jazz and perhaps blues and some forms of indigenous music. Although we'll never know, will we! Given how easily music can be preserved, people may well continue to return to it. Karen Dalton, a Greenwich Village folkie from the 1960s, dropped off the face of the earth, but her music has recently been resurrected to wide acclaim, fifty years later. This may continue to happen. Comparing her to Chopin is not really useful.

Back in the sixties, everything was new and untried. The Beatles, Stones, Kinks and on and on were the first and original. Experimentation was everywhere. The beginning of Rock'n'Roll is still well within living memory. 

Nowadays, much, much harder to be original as so much has already been done.

Far too early to guess what will last. I think in a hundred years time, much of this music will be re-designated as Classical music and I doubt very much if the young will actually listen to it.

6 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Back in the sixties, everything was new and untried. The Beatles, Stones, Kinks and on and on were the first and original. Experimentation was everywhere. The beginning of Rock'n'Roll is still well within living memory. 

Nowadays, much, much harder to be original as so much has already been done.

Far too early to guess what will last. I think in a hundred years time, much of this music will be re-designated as Classical music and I doubt very much if the young will actually listen to it.

It's harder to be original, but many musicians still manage; there are micro-scenes everywhere. Most innovation these days under the very broad heading of "rock music" seems to be in various iterations of hip-hop and electronic dance music. I know very little about these forms, but I appreciate that they provide forums in which younger musicians can be just as inventive and creative as the earlier rock-and-rollers were. (And these forms of course have themselves been around for at least a generation already.) I would guess though that in a hundred years at least as many people will still listen to various "rock and roll" musicians from our era as today listen to classical music.

Thank you Karen...you beat me to it.
I would would also like to add Ed Sheeran.
Music is my life and at 63 years old i still
appreciate good music old and NEW

Have a Nice Day

I agree. Great vocals. Is she still going though?

Way back when there was just a little help from sound tech, they had to produce their own sound, today, many would be lost without sound tech...

I just love the '60's stuff, but l also love a lot of stuff helped along with tech....