Best music is from last century?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought of an apt comparison for music from this side of 2000 and that from before.

It's like the craze for the latest "smartphones". In the past people used phones for communication with other people, and the message was more important than the machine.

Now though, it's all about the machine and having loads of "aps" and how many imaginary friends one has on the internet. In other words, changed from something real, to something faux.

IMO, music companies make a product for consumers, not "music".

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Bowie was very much a niche market. Only song he ever made I liked was Little China Girl. Most of his stuff I'd change the channel.

Seriously ?! ...  Space Oddity  ? No?..this man one of the greatest gift for human race  i think..

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well Cory1848 I gave you recommendation 7 minutes and 27 seconds of my time !!
It did start off slow and I was a little bored with the uninteresting lyrics ( except for the Floyd quote ) .
BUT , it did build up to a nice crescendo and certainly got the crowd going. The singer reminded me of Morrissey ( that’s a good thing IMO ).
I imagine being in that crowd with that rising music would be a pretty cool experience.
Not knocking it, or saying it’s the best music from last century either.

Here’s the video:
Interested to see what others make of it .

As you know most posters on this thread prefer stuff from the 60’s and 70’s, like myself. But I’m always open to new ideas !!
My idea of modern music is Muse and Foo Fighters !!

Thanks for checking it out! The crowd at Madison Square Garden was certainly into it; looks like a fun concert. It's been a while since I've seen a rock band in a packed arena like that, although I went to plenty of Dead shows back in the day ...

Seriously ?! ...  Space Oddity  ? No?..this man one of the greatest gift for human race  i think..

Have to agree, Bowie did change a nation !!

Loved the early Bowie ( Aladdin Sane, Ziggy and the immortal Hunky Dory ), I kinda lost interest after China Girl, Let’s Dance etc

This is one of my favourites.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Heavy metal- hated by way more people than like it. Same with genres like punk, rap, hip hop etc.

To be included it would have to be loved by all, or at least not hated.

Are Elvis, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits etc hated by anyone?

NOTHING is loved by all. Yes Elvis, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits are hated. Even the Beatles are hated by some people, which I don't understand at all. I am not crazy about the heavy metal genre in general, but Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands of all time and a hell-of-a-lot of people agree. See the Wiki blurb below with professional opinions. 

My favorite LP is Led Zeppelin III which has mostly acoustic stuff. I still play it often today.

Led Zeppelin are widely considered one of the most successful, innovative, and influential rock groups in history. They are one of the best-selling music artists in the history of audio recording; various sources estimate the group's record sales at 200 to 300 million units worldwide. With RIAA-certified sales of 111.5 million units, they are the second-best-selling band in the US. Each of their nine studio albums placed in the top 10 of the Billboard album chart and six reached the number-one spot. They achieved eight consecutive UK number-one albums. Rolling Stone magazine described them as "the heaviest band of all time", "the biggest band of the Seventies", and "unquestionably one of the most enduring bands in rock history". They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995; the museum's biography of the band states that they were "as influential" during the 1970s as the Beatles were during the 1960s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Bowie was very much a niche market. Only song he ever made I liked was Little China Girl. Most of his stuff I'd change the channel.

Bowie is one of the most popular, innovative artists of the rock era. He is not a favorite of mine, but there is no refuting his talent and contribution to music.

David Robert Jones (8 January 1947 – 10 January 2016), known professionally as David Bowie (/ˈbi/),[2] was an English singer, songwriter and actor. He was a leading figure in popular music for over five decades, acclaimed by critics and other musicians for his innovative work. His career was marked by reinvention and visual presentation, his music and stagecraft significantly influencing popular music. During his lifetime, his record sales, estimated at 140 million albums worldwide, made him one of the world's best-selling music artists. In the UK, he was awarded nine platinum album certifications, eleven gold and eight silver, releasing eleven number-one albums. In the US, he received five platinum and nine gold certifications. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bowie

23 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

NOTHING is loved by all. Yes Elvis, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits are hated. Even the Beatles are hated by some people, which I don't understand at all. I am not crazy about the heavy metal genre in general, but Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands of all time and a hell-of-a-lot of people agree. See the Wiki blurb below with professional opinions. 

My favorite LP is Led Zeppelin III which has mostly acoustic stuff. I still play it often today.

Led Zeppelin are widely considered one of the most successful, innovative, and influential rock groups in history. They are one of the best-selling music artists in the history of audio recording; various sources estimate the group's record sales at 200 to 300 million units worldwide. With RIAA-certified sales of 111.5 million units, they are the second-best-selling band in the US. Each of their nine studio albums placed in the top 10 of the Billboard album chart and six reached the number-one spot. They achieved eight consecutive UK number-one albums. Rolling Stone magazine described them as "the heaviest band of all time", "the biggest band of the Seventies", and "unquestionably one of the most enduring bands in rock history". They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995; the museum's biography of the band states that they were "as influential" during the 1970s as the Beatles were during the 1960s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin

An interesting first glimpse of Jimmy Page.

2 hours ago, Justfine said:

I only like half a dozen Beatle songs. I think the Stones had more good songs but they took their ideas from Muddy, Buddy, Hooker etc

Half a dozen ? Harsh, for me 2 dozen more likely.

But you are spot on about the Stones, and i dare to say most, if not all the great names of pop music , including the Beatles, were copying the music of the American Black community.

imo, all the great pop music of the fabulous 60s owe a lot to the American Blacks.. Just my impression.

One of the best songs that hit me like a ton of bricks when I first heard it coming out of the jukebox was Bad Moon Rising. The guitar twang was out of this world, CCR still one of my favourite bands.

[/url]  

CCR backstage watching one of the greats. Classic live performance of a band really enjoying themselves on stage!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Half a dozen ? Harsh, for me 2 dozen more likely.

But you are spot on about the Stones, and i dare to say most, if not all the great names of pop music , including the Beatles, were copying the music of the American Black community.

imo, all the great pop music of the fabulous 60s owe a lot to the American Blacks.. Just my impression.

I dare say that all the R & R, Blues and Elvis music was derived, or copied, from black musicians, but they were not played on white music stations in the US. White musicians playing "black" music made it acceptable for whites to listen to.