Best music is from last century?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some bands changed people's lives and their subsequent lifestyles.

Various bands were part of underground scenes from the 50's through to the 90's, yet within the past 20 years, no new youth movements have arose.

The Teddy boys from the 50's.

The Mods & Rockers of the 60's.

The Hippies & Punks of the 70's.

The Mod Revival 70's/80's.

The New Romantics of the 80's.

The Ravers from the 80's/90's.

Also don't forget Motown, Northern Soul, Ska, Disco, Oi, Grunge etc etc.

All these styles of music created underground scenes away from popular music. Each youth movement had their own particular style of music, their own clothes, their own hair style, their own transport, their own drugs and their own way of life.

Edited by LammyTS1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, firefox999uk said:

Music is timeless because of memories....you can always associate music or a song

with an event in your life...you know where you were, and what you were doing, and who with

(well i can anyway)....so the older you are the more memories.

Here's one that reminds me of my mates wedding....played when his wife was walking down the aisle.

A bit different this one though as it is played on a guitar synth.

Have a Nice Day.

Indeed. I heard Chris Rea's Josephine today and it took me right back to the early 90s when I used to play his music all the time while going to work on the bus. Bliss. Made me melancholy though, sad.

Frightening to think that it's been over 25 years since though.

6 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

Some bands changed people's lives and their subsequent lifestyles.

Various bands were part of underground scenes from the 50's through to the 90's, yet within the past 20 years, no new youth movements have arose.

The Teddy boys from the 50's.

The Mods & Rockers of the 60's.

The Hippies & Punks of the 70's.

The Mod Revival 70's/80's.

The New Romantics of the 80's.

The Ravers from the 80's/90's.

Also don't forget Motown, Northern Soul, Ska, Disco, Oi, Grunge etc etc.

All these styles of music created underground scenes away from popular music. Each youth movement had their own particular style of music, their own clothes, their own hair style, their own transport, their own drugs and their own way of life.

LOL. Youths these days are sheeple that spend all their time texting their imaginary friends. They don't have enough interest in anything in the real world to create a "movement".

I remember my mom   (a Singaporean Chinese student) use to tell me about her younger days in 70s London, consume with drugs ,drinks and parties  .. listening to Rolling Stone, The Who,Deep Purple,Led Zeppellin, Elton John, ABBA, ..etc . Theres a time when  she watch Rolling Stone and Mick  take a pee on a bottle and throw it to the audience... i don't think thats gonna happen anymore in this century... 

Edited by NonthaburiBear

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, Jools said:

It's worth mentioning, that while America invented rock music, the UK PERFECTED it. Rock and roll had gone down the tubes when the Beatles and the Rolling Stones lifted it back up and made it better than it was. I'm a Yank, but the best music always seems to come from Great Britain.

Um, the Beatles and the Stones didn't play R & R predominantly ( though there were probably a few rockers in their play lists. The Beatles played great pop music till drugs melted their brains, and the Stones were more rhythm-and-blues than R & R.

"Rock" isn't R & R either. If you can't dance R & R to it, it ain't R & R.

For great R & R listen to Chuck Berry.

On 1/3/2018 at 3:09 AM, transam said:

To be honest I can't think of any singer or band where l can say l like all their stuff, perhaps Roy Orbison may be the exception..He has loads of stuff that folk have probably never heard, though l have heard the lot..:stoner:

The Beatles for me. I liked everything they did as a group other than a few experimental songs (Number Nine).

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Most of Dylan's stuff was poetic protest, not innovative music.

He struggled to play guitar and harmonica and had a lousy voice.

His stuff has given us some of the all time best cover versions, and I do not dismiss his talent.

Try this:

The funny thing is that Hendrick's voice was almost as bad as Dylan's. Yet somehow, the music works.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed. I heard Chris Rea's Josephine today and it took me right back to the early 90s when I used to play his music all the time while going to work on the bus. Bliss. Made me melancholy though, sad.

Frightening to think that it's been over 25 years since though.

Funny you should mention Chris Rea....he came from the same town as me in the UK.

He's in a bad way at the moment, just recently collapsed on stage.

He has had a long battle with pancreatic cancer.

Road to hell is my favorite of his...In fact the whole album...a master of slide guitar.

Road Songs For Lovers, his new album, ain't that bad either.

Have a Nice Day

Funny you should mention Chris Rea....he came from the same town as me in the UK.
Road to hell is my favorite of his...In fact the whole album...a master of slide guitar.

Have a Nice Day

I saw Chris years ago with Clapton in Birmingham ( I think ) he was excellent, particularly a version of Stainsby Girls was tremendous !!.
Road to hell is an excellent album ( IMO ) and a firm favourite .

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Most of Dylan's stuff was poetic protest, not innovative music.

He struggled to play guitar and harmonica and had a lousy voice.

His stuff has given us some of the all time best cover versions, and I do not dismiss his talent.

Try this:

Right, but let's not forget that he composed hundreds of stunningly beautiful songs, which have been covered by lots of great musicians.

The thing is when you grew up as I did on Hendrix, Led Zep, The Dead, Pink Floyd, Fairport, Nick Drake, Roy Harper, Rory Gallagher, Neil Young,  CSN&Y, CCR, The Doors, Quicksilver, Jefferson Airplane, etc then the bar has been set so high nothing seems to compare.

14 years old and listening to The PIper at the Gates of Dawn. on headphones, The End by The Doors, Led Zep 1, etc.- riches after riches after riches.

It's like arriving in Thailand and eating Tom Yam Kung , steamed snake head fish ( pla chon) served with sliced lemon, a really crispy pork and chinese cabbage dish, a  tasty papaya salad and grilled chicken, every dish delighting the taste buds in different ways.

Then after a while you're only served up fried rice with chicken, noodles with fish balls, rice soup with tiny flecks of pork.

It just ain't the same!

20 hours ago, firefox999uk said:

Have a Nice Day

Mark Knopfeler was his mentor. Ice cream was the funds!

North East has produced some great musicians.

Brian Ferry, Gordon Sumner and Eric Burdon are a start, how many can you get?

A Boro boy eh?

:burp:

I wish Chris gets well soon.

There is a lot of debate around who was No2 but I don't think anyone could reasonable dispute who was No1 on the electric guitar, there was a lot of amazing guitarists around in the late 60s ....but Hendrix was simply a force of nature, he was playing some kind of advanced space jazz from the future.

Have a listen to this this live performance from 1969 at The L.A. Forum, everything that happens after 2:35mins is from another world musically, no other electric guitarist came close before or since...

Edited by Air Smiles

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:02 AM, Ulysses G. said:

The funny thing is that Hendrick's voice was almost as bad as Dylan's. Yet somehow, the music works.

Music being a very personal thing, to the individual one musician is a music hero while another is even despised.

I always loved Dylan ( along with untold millions ) and still play him, while I hated listening to Hendrix. I think it is because Dylan speaks to me on a personal level with his songs.

Unfortunately, Hendrix was so popular that it was hard not to hear him being played on the radio at that time.