A Few Years On....

bwpage3

On 12/28/2017 at 1:30 AM, bwpage3 said:

few things here

I know from the past you have a way of negatively commenting on anything you read, however, I will enlighten you.

I was not a school teacher in Thailand and I was not poor.

In fact, living in Isaan, Nong Rua, I am pretty sure I didn't miss the essence of Thailand by much if any. 

Having a new truck, I drove all over the country from North to South and East to West. 

How many temples or waterfalls or elephants or street vendors does a person need to see? 

Not sure what essence you are referring to? Monks playing with IPADS, shopping for electronics at Tesco Lotus, smoking weed?

Or maybe missed the Essence of Walking Street, Nana and Soi Cowboy?

Or maybe missed the essence of wacked out speed boat drivers in Phi Phi, Koh Chang, others?

Or maybe even missed the essence of Thai food when I decided to go to KFC or Pizza Company?

I know I missed the essence of never understanding one word of my wife's family Isaan dialect.

What you don't get is not everyone that lived in Thailand is in the same boat man.

Not everyone was uneducated, burned bridges and had no where to return to if their dream of Thailand ever worked out. When I moved to Thailand it did not take me long to figure out I wouldn't live there forever and I stayed many more years than I previously thought I ever would.

You don't have to be hating on me, you don't even know me. I am just telling you my story. If it is no interest to you don't read it, plenty of other interesting things to read.

It is a shame when the only good comments get sent in a PM because people don't want to get bitched at or railed for posting a true story.

It's my life, you don't need to fret and worry that I missed anything. 

I am not on here balling that I am divorced, teaching school or have no where to go. 

Just told the truth and yes, some people still do that.

Experience and lesson learned are a powerful tool. You never know when those and good personal contacts can come in handy in life

Don't be hating, it is just one man's story

You sound like you need to see a therapist to deal with all the resentment, pain, anger and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Edited by torrzent

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:30 AM, bwpage3 said:

few things here

I know from the past you have a way of negatively commenting on anything you read, however, I will enlighten you.

I was not a school teacher in Thailand and I was not poor.

In fact, living in Isaan, Nong Rua, I am pretty sure I didn't miss the essence of Thailand by much if any. 

Having a new truck, I drove all over the country from North to South and East to West. 

How many temples or waterfalls or elephants or street vendors does a person need to see? 

Not sure what essence you are referring to? Monks playing with IPADS, shopping for electronics at Tesco Lotus, smoking weed?

Or maybe missed the Essence of Walking Street, Nana and Soi Cowboy?

Or maybe missed the essence of wacked out speed boat drivers in Phi Phi, Koh Chang, others?

Or maybe even missed the essence of Thai food when I decided to go to KFC or Pizza Company?

I know I missed the essence of never understanding one word of my wife's family Isaan dialect.

What you don't get is not everyone that lived in Thailand is in the same boat man.

Not everyone was uneducated, burned bridges and had no where to return to if their dream of Thailand ever worked out. When I moved to Thailand it did not take me long to figure out I wouldn't live there forever and I stayed many more years than I previously thought I ever would.

You don't have to be hating on me, you don't even know me. I am just telling you my story. If it is no interest to you don't read it, plenty of other interesting things to read.

It is a shame when the only good comments get sent in a PM because people don't want to get bitched at or railed for posting a true story.

It's my life, you don't need to fret and worry that I missed anything. 

I am not on here balling that I am divorced, teaching school or have no where to go. 

Just told the truth and yes, some people still do that.

Experience and lesson learned are a powerful tool. You never know when those and good personal contacts can come in handy in life

Don't be hating, it is just one man's story

Hmmmmm. You seem to be completely missing the point of what I said, which was 

While not an attempt to disparage you in any way,

Yet you take it as an attack on you.

I said

Good luck to you that you appear incredibly rich by ?most expat standards,

Yet you accuse me of saying you are poor

I said

but I wonder if you missed the essence of Thailand, which is not to be found, IMO, where rich people live. Perhaps that is why you think you "saw it all" when obviously you didn't. 

but you prove from your own words that you saw little of the essence of Thai life.

Here's a hint- you won't find it driving around in a truck.

How many trains did you travel in, how many local buses did you use, how many 300 baht resorts did you stay in, how many miles did you walk through the back roads, and the city back alleys?

Have you travelled by long tails to remote beaches, explored jungle wats, sought out the roads seldom travelled through virgin jungle?

That's where a lot of the essence of Thailand is found.

Every temples or waterfall or elephant or street vendor has a new story to tell, a new experience to share. One has never seen them all.

You don't have to be hating on me, you don't even know me. I am just telling you my story

Indeed, yet I don't hate you, and like you say, you don't know me, so why make assumptions from a few lines on a page, so why accuse me of hating you?

I know from the past you have a way of negatively commenting on anything you read,

Read all my nearly 19,000 posts have you then? You know what they say about assumptions, don't you?

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I said

I said

but I wonder if you missed the essence of Thailand, which is not to be found, IMO, where rich people live. Perhaps that is why you think you "saw it all" when obviously you didn't. 

but you prove from your own words that you saw little of the essence of Thai life.

How many trains did you travel in, how many local buses did you use, how many 300 baht resorts did you stay in, how many miles did you walk through the back roads, and the city back alleys?

Have you travelled by long tails to remote beaches, explored jungle wats, sought out the roads seldom travelled through virgin jungle?

Every temples or waterfall or elephant or street vendor has a new story to tell, a new experience to share. One has never seen them all.

You don't have to be hating on me, you don't even know me. I am just telling you my story

Indeed, yet I don't hate you, and like you say, you don't know me, so why make assumptions from a few lines on a page, so why accuse me of hating you?

I know from the past you have a way of negatively commenting on anything you read,

Read all my nearly 19,000 posts have you then? You know what they say about assumptions, don't you?

Well put...don't forget to add "seeing Lindsey Lohan bit by a snake in Phuket" to the must-see experiences

Jokes aside, we mustn't be too hard on this fellow as it sound like this was his "Vietnam" with PTSD symptoms all over the map

You cannot accept some people control their own destiny by being educated and having a plan?

If you trapped yourself there, it is your own fault.

Now P.O.

I have to go to the beach where you won't see 100 tons of plastic washing up 

6 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

You cannot accept some people control their own destiny by being educated and having a plan?

If you trapped yourself there, it is your own fault.

Now P.O.

I have to go to the beach where you won't see 100 tons of plastic washing up 

I hope you are not heading to the Ft Lauderdale toxic tire reef!  Same same but different!

image.png.c76578b3024ef7773d85495f9446fe35.png

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I said

I said

How many trains did you travel in, how many local buses did you use, how many 300 baht resorts did you stay in, how many miles did you walk through the back roads, and the city back alleys

Are you mad claiming that in order to understand the essence of Thailand you needed to live like a pauper? Or are you a teacher/weekend warrior that has to walk everywhere, ride the bus and can only afford 300 baht hotels?

If you chose to live your life 300 baht at a time because that is all you can afford, good for you. Not the life I chose for my family.

My life, my post, don't like it? Sounds like you are jealous? Don't be, I did my time getting an advanced education where I can afford to live where I want to at a salary you can't obviously comprehend with your 300 baht hotels.

I don't want to be creeping around in 300 baht hotels with my family thank you

You can save all those jewels for yourself

Admin OK to close this post

3 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

You must be smarter than all the PhD Biologists and Oceanographers we have here?

Definitely smarter than whoever thought up this idiotic idea!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_Reef

The project ultimately failed, and the "reef" has come to be considered an environmental disaster—ultimately doing more harm than good in the coastal Florida waters.

Maybe your high falutin education that you keep trying to convince everyone of was not so falutin after all!

On 12/27/2017 at 8:55 AM, bwpage3 said:

As I mentioned, this is not Miami, Not Orlando or Jacksonville. There is nothing to worry about. Maybe some parts of Fort Pierce. However these are not cities and have ample police force everywhere.  Worrying about something that is not there is just plain worrying.  I worried about my safety in quite a few places in Thailand, however where we live in Florida, I think we can disarm the shuffle board players. Plus it is easy to get a concealed weapons permit, which many have. Extremely safe where we live, very few minorities. Majority are senior citizens.

I'm curious who your young Thai wife socializes with? You've made disparaging comments about the Thais you've encountered at the local temple and elsewhere in Florida, and now you're telling us that there are very few minorities of any type in your community (as if this was a good thing) and that you live in a retirement community. I'm asking myself how at home can your wife really feel in this environment? Make sure she doesn't start self-medicating when she gets that pharmacy technician's certificate. Signed, genuinely concerned.

Edited by Gecko123

OP - I'm glad you posted this.  Your previous post on this topic served as a model for how I wanted my wife to behave when she came to the States.  So I spent a couple of years slowly talking her down from the typical loser mindset you describe and so far the groundwork has paid off and we're enjoying a normal life in a good community with no input whatsoever from the local Isaaner clique.  Like your wife, this is a lifestyle choice she now sees the value of herself.  Thanks again.

Maybe I am just mildly confused but the first sentence in the OP was on why people post on TV after they leave Thailand. All I got from the rest was a not so thinly veiled attempt to put Thailand down and how far superior the American way of life it. Followed by attacking people who were for all purposes comparing (some in good ways) where you live now and where you lived.  

So after getting all of that let me be the first to say. Find a Florida forum as no one will miss you. 

8 minutes ago, john_bkk919 said:

OP - I'm glad you posted this.  Your previous post on this topic served as a model for how I wanted my wife to behave when she came to the States.  So I spent a couple of years slowly talking her down from the typical loser mindset you describe and so far the groundwork has paid off and we're enjoying a normal life in a good community with no input whatsoever from the local Isaaner clique.  Like your wife, this is a lifestyle choice she now sees the value of herself.  Thanks again.

You sound like a control freak. 

If the OP believes being in the USA is best for him and his family, more power to him.  But I'm not sure if I'd choose Florida....especially close to the ocean.

[A state built on real estate speculation, whose chief attribute was proximity to the water, now faces a whole new problem: There’s not enough land, high enough above the water, for its residents to pull back from the rising seas. By the end of the century, database company Zillow Group estimates, almost a half-million Miami homes could be — literally — underwater. That’s more than anywhere else in the country.]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/floridas-real-estate-reckoning-could-be-closer-than-you-think/ar-BBHtiex?li=BBnbfcL

I've read this guy's posts before, maybe 2 or so years ago, and found them insightful in that I was considering a move back, and Florida was/is a state under consideration.  Mrs and I flew there last year just to have a look around for a month.

Otherwise, and similar to his War and Peace missives 2-odd years ago, he does come off as a narcissistic A-hole with these unsolicited streams of consciousness, dripping with smarmy, false humility, self-promotion and boasting. 

If you did this face to face in Thailand, you wouldn't have many friends and eventually, one of the old blue collar ex-plumbers from East London is gunna smash you in the face for being a dikc.  Safer to troll them on ThaiVisa from thousands of miles away.  LOL.

On 12/31/2017 at 7:45 AM, Berkshire said:

If the OP believes being in the USA is best for him and his family, more power to him.  But I'm not sure if I'd choose Florida....especially close to the ocean.

[A state built on real estate speculation, whose chief attribute was proximity to the water, now faces a whole new problem: There’s not enough land, high enough above the water, for its residents to pull back from the rising seas. By the end of the century, database company Zillow Group estimates, almost a half-million Miami homes could be — literally — underwater. That’s more than anywhere else in the country.]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/floridas-real-estate-reckoning-could-be-closer-than-you-think/ar-BBHtiex?li=BBnbfcL

Interesting article, thanks.  I've cooled on Florida after we went and had a look around.  I could afford a modest house near the shore in some areas, but I reviewed municipal storm surge maps against the real estate listings, and it gave me pause.  Found some nicer, newer home developments on a patch of higher ground a few miles in from the beaches/lagoons, and they were more California prices.  Folks willing to pay a premium for that location.

Drove over to Pensacola for the day, stopped at a waterside municipal park and noticed a tall stanchion with a red line way above my head, at the 18' mark, with a sign indicating that was the high water mark during some previous hurricane.  

We drove up and down the middle on the turn pike, very rural.  Somewhere before, during and after Ocala, the oversized billboards along the highway were all Jesus all the time, every couple miles.  Kept hearing the banjo from Deliverance in my head, so we kept on driving.  :laugh:

On 12/31/2017 at 2:08 PM, 55Jay said:

I've read this guy's posts before, maybe 2 or so years ago, and found them insightful in that I was considering a move back, and Florida was/is a state under consideration.  Mrs and I flew there last year just to have a look around for a month.

Otherwise, and similar to his War and Peace missives 2-odd years ago, he does come off as a narcissistic A-hole with these unsolicited streams of consciousness, dripping with smarmy, false humility, self-promotion and boasting. 

If you did this face to face in Thailand, you wouldn't have many friends and eventually, one of the old blue collar ex-plumbers from East London is gunna smash you in the face for being a dikc.  Safer to troll them on ThaiVisa from thousands of miles away.  LOL.

I agree with your 2nd paragraph. I am not certain why he keeps coming back on TV to tell of his story ( again) and constantly speaks of his advanced education like that has any bearing on it. It appears he is looking for some sort of validation from TV members that his decision was right. The OPs later defensive responses speak of what I think was his hidden message that if you live or stay in Thailand you are ignorant or foolish. 

In the end both countries have Pros and Cons defending each is like pissing into the wind and there is no point. One does what one does for themselves and their own personal needs. 

I am glad it worked out for the OP but............

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, bwpage3 said:

How many trains did you travel in, how many local buses did you use, how many 300 baht resorts did you stay in, how many miles did you walk through the back roads, and the city back alleys

Are you mad claiming that in order to understand the essence of Thailand you needed to live like a pauper? Or are you a teacher/weekend warrior that has to walk everywhere, ride the bus and can only afford 300 baht hotels?

If you chose to live your life 300 baht at a time because that is all you can afford, good for you. Not the life I chose for my family.

My life, my post, don't like it? Sounds like you are jealous? Don't be, I did my time getting an advanced education where I can afford to live where I want to at a salary you can't obviously comprehend with your 300 baht hotels.

I don't want to be creeping around in 300 baht hotels with my family thank you

You can save all those jewels for yourself

Admin OK to close this post

OK, now I know that you missed the point I was making, and sadly, you seemed to have missed the really good things about Thailand. Nothing to do with what I can or can't afford, but you don't seem to understand that.

For example, the best beaches don't have resorts on them. Unless you want to sleep on the sand a cheap hut is all there is.

I'll leave you with a very valuable Thai saying that would do us all a world of good if we lived by it.

Jai yen, jai yen.

Bye.