A medical extension can be done as early as possible even with a TR visa ? ( pregnancy )

Hello, my girlfriend, she had a TR visa, entered today  (stay until 23 FEB) she had a medical certificate from the doctor from 2 weeks ago, from Bangkok Christian Hospital, that she stating she willing to give birth in Bangkok, and she should be allowed for 90 days. ( she's on her 33-34 weeks pregnancy actually ) she have plan to give birth around end January - Middle February

Because I know if it's just for tourism extension, they will deny her extension and said it's too earlier.. 

I would like to know if it's already possible to apply the "medical extension" for pregnancy ASAP, as to avoid any complications and travel to Immigration later, and would like to go to Chaweng Wattana as even tomorrow, so that she can be peace of mind as because after her pregnancy she cannot leave Thailand, as we need make the birth certificate and passport of the baby first. She's not Thai, not either the father.

I doubt it. If your girlfriend can't travel when she needs to apply for an extension you/the hospital could apply on her behalf with a letter from the doctor confirming she can't attend immigration herself.

She will only get a medical extension if a doctor confirms she cannot travel.

Edited by elviajero

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

She will only get a medical extension if a doctor confirms she cannot travel.

And I believe most immigrations offices will only accept a doctor's confirmation from certain hospitals. She or you should probably first check with the immigration liaison office at the hospital she intends to use and at the immigration office that serves your residential area.

There might be some questions raised as to why she chose to travel this late in the pregnancy, knowing that she would be giving birth here.

14 hours ago, Danielsiam said:

Bangkok Christian Hospital, that she stating she willing to give birth in Bangkok, and she should be allowed for 90 days.

Ultimately the decision will be made by an immigrations officer, but I would think a 90 day extension beyond the probable birth date is unlikely.

Edited by Suradit69

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

And I believe most immigrations offices will only accept a doctor's confirmation from certain hospitals. She or you should probably first check with the immigration liaison office at the hospital she intends to use and at the immigration office that serves your residential area.

"And I believe most immigrations offices will only accept a doctor's confirmation from certain hospitals".

That's not the case.

Edited by Just Weird

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"And I believe most immigrations offices will only accept a doctor's confirmation from certain hospitals".

That's not the case.

How could you possibly know what every immigrations office in Thailand requires when assessing a request for a medical extension? Certainly such requests are often rejected and/or the amount of time requested by some doctors is ignored. For some forms of medical certification they do specify where they can be obtained.

Surprisingly, some doctors operating out of store front "clinics" or even those in larger operations have been known to issue certification for just about anything depending on the remuneration they receive. Immigrations officer are not blind to this and have the discretion to reject an application regardless of a note from some random doctor.

One posted example of when doctor's request was totally ignored and a doctor used by immigration denied the extension.

A few details:

A few details:

-US passport
-flying TG
-4 Thai visas, in chronological order:

1) 30 day, standard arrival visa
2) 3 week extension, medical visa (doctor asked for 2 months)
3) 1 month extension, medical visa
4) 7 day extension, medical visa 
(why 7 ? )

The last extension, 7 days, was the judgment of Thai immigration doctor. My documentation was in order ("medical certificate" PLUS scheduled appointment beyond the 7th day.) The immigration doctor asked me no questions, did no examination and refused to contact my doctor. He knew I would overstay to have a D-J stent removed. My doctor/Hospital, of course, could not explain immigration's logic.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

How could you possibly know what every immigrations office in Thailand requires when assessing a request for a medical extension? Certainly such requests are often rejected and/or the amount of time requested by some doctors is ignored. For some forms of medical certification they do specify where they can be obtained.

Surprisingly, some doctors operating out of store front "clinics" or even those in larger operations have been known to issue certification for just about anything depending on the remuneration they receive. Immigrations officer are not blind to this and have the discretion to reject an application regardless of a note from some random doctor.

One posted example of when doctor's request was totally ignored and a doctor used by immigration denied the extension.

"How could you possibly know what every immigrations office in Thailand requires..."

I can't possibly know but you can, is that what you're saying?

If a patient is in hospital genuinely unable to travel or get to Immigration to extend a permission to stay, the patient's doctor's confirmation of that will normally be accepted from any hospital.

The person in the example that you quoted was clearly not confined to a hospital bed and obviously was mobile.  The extensions granted under medical circumstances are not intended to be used to allow ongoing medical treatment for those without a suitable visa, they are emergency extensions. 

Medical extensions are usually only issued to cover periods of illness where travel isn't possible.

Pregnancy is a condition, not an illness and unless there were complications in birth that prevented your g/f from travelling, I doubt they would entertain such an application.

Hello, my girlfriend, she had a TR visa, entered today  (stay until 23 FEB)

She can apply for a 30 day extension to her TV, which would allow her to stay until 24/3/18.

Edited by Tanoshi

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Pregnancy is a condition, not an illness and unless there were complications in birth that prevented your g/f from travelling, I doubt they would entertain such an application.

Immigration will do an extension for medical treatment if a doctor states she cannot travel. That can easily be said after the 8th month or sooner. Check a few airlines to find out what their cutoff is for boarding a flight without a letter from a doctor stating it is OK.

Immigration will issue the extension for a few weeks after the birth also.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration will do an extension for medical treatment if a doctor states she cannot travel. That can easily be said after the 8th month or sooner. Check a few airlines to find out what their cutoff is for boarding a flight without a letter from a doctor stating it is OK.

Immigration will issue the extension for a few weeks after the birth also.

Expected date of birth, end of Jan - middle Feb.

A 30 day extension to her TV would give her permission to stay until 24th March.

As stated, unless there were complications, no reason for Mother or baby not to be fit for travel by that date.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Expected date of birth, end of Jan - middle Feb.

A 30 day extension to her TV would give her permission to stay until 24th March.

As stated, unless there were complications, no reason for Mother or baby not to be fit for travel by that date.

Can you explain a mother from Philippines who had not right to travel because almost all airlines doesn't allow start 35th weeks to fly even with a medical certificate that states she can travel 

how she can travel to Philippines from Thailand ? without airplane, tell me any company who provide boat or ferry from Thailand to Philippines ?

Even she gave birth of the 15-20 February, need to get the birth certificate Thai, then need to make this authentified/legalizes by the MFA, then need go to Embassy to make it recorded, then need to apply the passport so that the kid can travel.. and Philippines Embassy took 6 weeks to get a passport

Edited by Danielsiam
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Danielsiam said:

Can you explain a mother from Philippines who had not right to travel because almost all airlines doesn't allow start 35th weeks to fly even with a medical certificate that states she can travel 

how she can travel to Philippines from Thailand ? without airplane, tell me any company who provide boat or ferry from Thailand to Philippines ?

Even she gave birth of the 15-20 February, need to get the birth certificate Thai, then need to make this authentified/legalizes by the MFA, then need go to Embassy to make it recorded, then need to apply the passport so that the kid can travel.. and Philippines Embassy took 6 weeks to get a passport

She shouldn't have come to Thailand in the first place. You don't liking her country is a not good reason to come here. Unless you find proper work here you have no chance to stay here a long time as you both don't qualify for a valid long term visa.

Edited by FritsSikkink

23 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

She shouldn't have come to Thailand in the first place. You don't liking her country is a not good reason to come here. Unless you find proper work here you have no chance to stay here a long time as you both don't qualify for a valid long term visa.

I qualify for a non-O visa in Thailand, FYI

8 hours ago, Danielsiam said:

I qualify for a non-O visa in Thailand, FYI

Hello, my girlfriend, she had a TR visa, entered today  (stay until 23 FEB) she had a medical certificate from the doctor from 2 weeks ago, from Bangkok Christian Hospital, that she stating she willing to give birth in Bangkok, and she should be allowed for 90 days. ( she's on her 33-34 weeks pregnancy actually ) she have plan to give birth around end January - Middle February

OP, I'm afraid that your plan isn't working well. You seem to believe that a baby born on Thai soil would automatically have the right to be a Thai citizen?

A hospital stating that "she's willing to give birth in Bangkok" and her plan "when she'll give birth" might not work out the way you'd like to. Are you really planning to use a baby as a reason to stay longer in Thailand? 

If you really believe that this will qualify you for a Non-O visa, you are wrong. 

Edited by jenny2017

41 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

OP, I'm afraid that your plan isn't working well. You seem to believe that a baby born on Thai soil would automatically have the right to be a Thai citizen?

The OP has given no indication whatsoever that he believes his baby would automatically have the right to be a Thsi citizen!

12 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

If you really believe that this will qualify you for a Non-O visa, you are wrong. 

No, I am not wrong, I ever had that visa as I've Thai kid Vientiane issued it. 

The Phnom Penh Embassy doesn't answer my mail when I request the requirements.

1 hour ago, Danielsiam said:

No, I am not wrong, I ever had that visa as I've Thai kid Vientiane issued it. 

The Phnom Penh Embassy doesn't answer my mail when I request the requirements.

I assume when you say Thai kid the mother was Thai.

Your new baby will not be Thai.