94% reduction in download speed when using a VPN

oporhatch

Dear Members

I have just did some tests and found that when I activate my VPN software and connect through their fastest UK Server !! (Cyberghost)  that I get a 94% reduction in download speed

50 mbps to 3 Mbps

Please could anybody give me some info about the software they use as a VPN and the reduction in Mbps they are getting when connecting through the UK

I know this question also crops regularly  -  is there a stable VPN software service to get BBC iplayer, or at least a half decent one , as Cyberghost stopped doing this as thier servers kept getting

blocked

regards

Richard 

While you may have speed loss in the 'tunneling and encryption' portion of your VPN process, you may also suffer speed loss due to poor peer-to-peer agreement throttling or time-of-day congestion.

I can directly connect or VPN to services based in SF or LA at almost the full speed of my 50/30 TOT Fiber connection, but then also have a connection that's 3 mbps at best to a location 25 km away hosted on a 'neighboring' ISP.  But then I connect through Texas, Georgia or Florida and wind up with a faster connection. 

So try using different VPN endpoints and see what changes.

OP,

What VPN protocol were you using.  That is OpenVPN TCP, OpenVPN UDP, PPTP, L2TP, etc.   Assuming you were using your VPN service providers app it is probably set to default to a certain protocol....certain protocols are faster than others....can be big time differences in speed on some connections/devices.   And some VPN providers just provide faster VPN servers than other VPN providers.

If set to OpenVPN "UDP" (a.k.a, UDP) (which is a common default on some VPN apps) then maybe your connection just don't like UDP.  Or maybe it set to OpenVPN "TCP" (a.k.a., TCP) and a similar "no-like" thing is occurring. 

Try several protocols to see if speed increases and also try more than just one VPN server in the UK....hopefully Cyberghost offers multiple VPN servers in the UK.

In closing, it's common for a VPN connection to give you lower speed that the full speed of  your plan.  Like on a 50Mb speed plan you may only get a one-fifth (or less) of that speed on a VPN connection due to many possible reasons.  But in some cases VPN can actually give you faster speed than a non-VPN connection to an international site.  But once again that will depend on various factors with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) probably being the biggest factor in terms of how his network is setup to control data flow. 

All VPN service providers advertise use of their service allows you to get around ISP throttling/data shaping---that is mostly advertising hype....sometimes a VPN connection does allow you to get around data shaping, but in most cases it does not with modern ISP networks of today.   

Several years ago when my ISP was True by using VPN in many cases I got faster speed to an international site that if on a non-VPN connection.  But now that I'm on AIS Fibre a VPN connection does not give me faster speed to an international site versus a non-VPN connection....basically the VPN connection is only giving me an IP address in the country I'm connecting to and encryption but not faster speed. 

Summary:  try different VPN protocols and servers.

This is what the service provider stated

Regarding your connection speed issues, I must point out that connection speed is dependent on quite a number of factors. Some of the factors influencing connection speed are: 
- your internet connection speed
- the hardware used
- the ISP infrastructure (some cables are not very good for UDP)
- the Speedtest service
- the location of the speed test service
- the VPN servers location 

You can also change your dns , that makes it way faster.

1. Click START > Type in "view network connections" (without the quotes);
2. Right-click on your main network connection (not the TAP-Adapter) > choose Properties;
3. Double-Click on "Internet Protocol Version 4" > Click "Use the Following DNS server addresses" and enter the following:
Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS Server: 8.8.4.4
> Click OK

I will give this a go -  but you normally get a trial with these VPN companies , therefore maybe I will give a few a trail, thanks for your responses 

regards

Richard 

On 12/27/2017 at 9:13 PM, altcar bob said:

I use Nordvpn,cheap,then their p2p service to buy UK lotto tickets....actually on bbc i player right now

The UK lottery people say that you need to physically be in the UK to buy tickets or else if you win you will not be paid out. However, I don't know how they could tell that you were using a VPN.

I use Pure as my VPN, it's fast and reliable with great online chat support. It can be had for around $2 a month using one of their promos.

8 hours ago, coppywriter said:

However, I don't know how they could tell that you were using a VPN.

Many online services that want or need to geo-restrict their connections are capable of excluding IP ranges that are known to be used by public or commercial VPN/Proxies/Socks or other pass-through tunneling services. Though, to combat this 'mapping', some commercial VPN services have turned to using their own in-country customer connections as available tunnels and exit points (scary as that is).

On 12/28/2017 at 10:15 AM, samsensam said:

i'm not a techie, i use ipvanish and have no problems, though speeds here are a fraction of what i get back home (as standard) but that just seems to be par for the course

I do too and sometimes have to switch between servers in the UK, be it London, Manchester, Liverpool etc. Occasionally I get one that seems to be slower, or keeps disconnecting, and I have to try another to see if I can get a satisfactory connection, I have also detected some IPvanish servers, who are in the UK list, that are detected as not being so, even Yahoo or Google think I am in Brussels or Holland (good heavens forbid!)

It can all be a a bit of messing about to get to rubbishy TV programs!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rbpeters said:

Just with regard downloading on iplayer (rather than watching) once my downloads get to about 15/18mb I turn off the vpn and then they continue downloading at more lightening speeds. 

This is always an interesting trick to play with some online services. Once an authenticating 'token' is stored as a site cookie in your browser of client software you can usually switch IP addresses and continue to receive the service.  This is required to accommodate mobile Internet users who switch from service tower to service tower as they practice their distracted driving.