Road safety measures now strictly enforced to curb road fatalities by 5%

webfact

By Thai PBS

breathalyzer-tests.jpg

As up to 8.4 million automobiles are expected to be leaving and passing Bangkok for upcountry on four major highways during this long New Year holidays, starting today, the Ministry of Transport and the Ministry of Public Health have jointly rolled out several road safety measures in their bids to lower road fatalities and accidents.

They aimed to cut death toll from road accidents by 5% from last year’s 478 deaths to 463 deaths during the 7-day period described as dangerous week from December 28 to January 3 next year.

According to the Road Safety Centre, 3,919 accidents occurred during the 7-day dangerous week from December 29, 2016 and January 4, 2017.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/road-safety-measures-now-strictly-enforced-curb-road-fatalities-5/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-28

"They aimed to cut death toll from road accidents by 5% from last year’s 478 deaths to 463 deaths during the 7-day period described as dangerous week from December 28 to January 3 next year".

Sack the lot of them, bring in the Aussie cop force to show them how its done.

Percentages over lives, just goes to show they have no idea, 15 less deaths in 7 days, considered to be a success, its all about the soft approach, i.e. we don't want to upset anybody, but please, we happy if less 15 people die this year, and you can have your cake and eat it too, then we can do same same Songkran 555.

Give me a break, pathetic !

Edited by 4MyEgo

On my way to immigration today I went through two police checkpoints where they were having words with people in pick up trucks and cars. They had also closed several U-turns along Phet Kasem. At least the police and local council look like they are trying in my area.

18 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

No doubt the Govt. will fudge the numbers.... would't look good if the fatalities increased after all the public preventative measures... :hit-the-fan:

They have started even before this heroic effort.

463 deaths, down from last year's 478 (a reduction of just 15 deaths over 7 days) actually equates to a 3.1% reduction, not the lofty goal of 5%!

That's a margin of error of a little over 37% on their target.

Now I guess we can see how they manage to <deleted> up all their road death stats!

Seriously, what hope do the public have here?

:saai:

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

On my way to immigration today I went through two police checkpoints where they were having words with people in pick up trucks and cars. They had also closed several U-turns along Phet Kasem. At least the police and local council look like they are trying in my area.

i will say one good thing about the police in ubon There is one big cop here and he looks like he dont mind booking a few motorists He will have to be careful  if he goes overboard he will be re-educated

50 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

lets do the math here

5% of an estimated 27,000 deaths annually = 1,350

This will reduce the overall estimated to a mere 25,650 poor sods.

A reduction to be really proud about - NOT

Dont forget Monster they only count the ones that die at the scene not the ones who die in hospital or going to hospital as a result of the accidents Also what about the ones who are crippled for life are they counted in the overall picture

No they're not!  I went through a checkpoint, about 2 hours ago; motorcyclists without helmets were just waved threw.

I suppose the headline must make somebody feel good!

3 hours ago, alien365 said:

I expect I said much the same last year at this time.  On AH 2 today there were 3 U turns closed . There was no warning that they had been closed so there we were on our bikes , about to turn right but no where to turn , now what , cars coming up behind doing 100kph .

If U turns are that bad they have to be closed shut them permanantly , install roundabouts. Rant over .......'till tomorrow.

4 hours ago, tompelli said:

Aim low, when you fail it doesn't look so bad.

But they won't fail ... they'll simply fudge the numbers to make it seem a successful "effort" while in reallity the numbers will exceed even last years.

4 hours ago, tompelli said:

Aim low, when you fail it doesn't look so bad.

Yes be very careful out there folks!. 

I went through two checkpoints today near our village.  The first one they were all asleep in their hammocks and deckchairs, and as I cruised through the second one they all cheered "farang!, farang! without stopping me! .

47 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I expect I said much the same last year at this time.  On AH 2 today there were 3 U turns closed . There was no warning that they had been closed so there we were on our bikes , about to turn right but no where to turn , now what , cars coming up behind doing 100kph .

If U turns are that bad they have to be closed shut them permanantly , install roundabouts. Rant over .......'till tomorrow.

The ones I passed had warning signs around nakhon chaisri. I didn't have time to read the big signs as they were in Thai but when I got to the u turns and it was clear what they were for.

I hope they keep these U-turns shut permanently, but we'll see.