Numbing cold wave grips U.S., heralding a frigid New Year's Eve

rooster59

800x800 (3).jpg

Tourist Ava Black of West Palm Beach in Florida walks through Times Square as a cold weather front hits the region in Manhattan, in New York, U.S., December 29, 2017. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly

(Reuters) - The torrent of arctic air that poured into many parts of the United States this week tightened its grip on Friday and brought record cold to some spots, as forecasters warned revellers from Memphis to Maine to expect numbing conditions on New Year's Eve.

As far south as Charleston, South Carolina, freezing rain coated the city's landmark church steeples, while a shroud of ice blanketed rock faces next to Niagara Falls as mist from the thundering falls on New York's border with Canada froze in the bitterly cold air.

For the second day in a row, North Dakota and northern Minnesota were among the coldest spots in the country on one of the coldest days of the year, prompting the National Weather Service to issue a winter chill advisory for the region.

Temperatures in northern North Dakota are expected to plunge to around -30 F (-34.4 C) on Saturday with a wind chill of about -50 F (-45.5 C), said Ken Simosko, a meteorologist with the weather service in North Dakota.

The hundreds of thousands of people heading to New York's Times Square for the New Year's Eve celebration on Sunday may witness the giant ball drop on the second-coldest evening on record for the night, forecasters say. Temperatures are expected to be at about 10 F (-12 C) or colder in midtown Manhattan, forecasters said.

A few miles north, in New York's Bronx borough, nurse Libia Veliz entered a pastry shop, shivering even though she wore a thick winter coat.

"It's horrible," Veliz said, adding that she luckily does not have to work this weekend, when it is expected to snow.

"I'm staying home, staying with family and staying warm," she said.

In Memphis, the music hotspot known for its New Year's celebration featuring a countdown drop with an oversized guitar, temperatures are expected to be around 15 degrees Fahrenheit (-9.4 C), far below normal.

Maine Governor Paul LePage declared a state of emergency to allow heating oil truck drivers to work beyond the limit of hours set by federal transportation rules. While most U.S. homes are heated with natural gas, much of the northeast relies on heating oil that is delivered to homes by truck.

With temperatures in Boston forecast in the single digits for Sunday evening, a free ice skating show was cancelled, an online schedule for the city's Boston First Night showed on Friday evening.

Canada has also issued extreme weather alerts and scaled back some of its New Year's Eve celebrations.

The cold weather pattern is expected to persist through the weekend, the NWS said, adding that a reinforcing shot of arctic air is currently taking shape over northwestern Canada.

On Friday, it issued winter storm warnings and advisories for an area stretching from Washington State, across the Midwest and into New York state.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-30

In a tweet, President Trump blames Canada for pushing the frigid weather into the states. He wrote, "This is a direct provication that will be met with severe sanctions against Canadian beer, TimBits and Justin Beiber. No one should be allowed to interfere with the perfect climate I have created."

Edited by DukSiam1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

brought record cold to some spots, as forecasters warned revellers from Memphis to Maine to expect numbing conditions on New Year's Eve.

Oh surely not, we've been told repeatedly that Global Warming, Climate Change or whatever you will was going to have the farthest north basking in tropical heat by now. Shouldn't the headlines be about being careful not to get sunstroke ?

:cheesy:

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh surely not, we've been told repeatedly that Global Warming, Climate Change or whatever you will was going to have the farthest north basking in tropical heat by now. Shouldn't the headlines be about being careful not to get sunstroke ?

:cheesy:

On the contrary, this is a perfect example of one of the phenomena of climate change: that weather extremes will become more extreme. You see it happening everywhere around the world, heat waves get hotter, cold spells get colder, storms get bigger, droughts get worse, rainstorms dump more rain, and so on and so forth. But all of that is probably just nonsense to you, right?

3 hours ago, DukSiam1 said:

In a tweet, President Trump blames Canada for pushing the frigid weather into the states. He wrote, "This is a direct provication that will be met with severe sanctions against Canadian beer, TimBits and Justin Beiber. No one should be allowed to interfere with the perfect climate I have created."

The reality is even worse than that:

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

The reality is even worse than that:

It’s sad, really, that the most powerful man in the world doesn’t know his ass from his elbow when it comes to nature and/or physics. Just google ‘Trump’ and ‘hairspray’ and you will see how ignorant that man really is.

10 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

On the contrary, this is a perfect example of one of the phenomena of climate change: that weather extremes will become more extreme. You see it happening everywhere around the world, heat waves get hotter, cold spells get colder, storms get bigger, droughts get worse, rainstorms dump more rain, and so on and so forth. But all of that is probably just nonsense to you, right?

Wow, that CO2 sure is a miracle gas --  a slight increase to 0.04% of the atmosphere and the entire planet's climate just goes plum crazy.

I bet Dr Evil wishes he had some of that stuff to play with.

16 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Wow, that CO2 sure is a miracle gas --  a slight increase to 0.04% of the atmosphere and the entire planet's climate just goes plum crazy.

I bet Dr Evil wishes he had some of that stuff to play with.

A lot more than CO2 is skewing world weather patterns.  Methane is another factor.  So are trillions of specks of ash (emitted from fossil fuel burning) falling on snowpacks - particularly Greenland.  

7 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

It’s sad, really, that the most powerful man in the world doesn’t know his ass from his elbow when it comes to nature and/or physics. Just google ‘Trump’ and ‘hairspray’ and you will see how ignorant that man really is.

Thanks! I missed this nugget !

"Let's see, I'm in my room in New York City and I want to put on a little spray, right? Right?  But I hear where they don't want me to use hair spray. They want me to use the pump! "bing, bing, bing".. And then it comes out in big globs, right, and it's stuck in your hair. I want to use hair spray. They say, 'Don't use hair spray, it's bad for the ozone. So I'm sitting in this concealed apartment, this concealed — I really do live in a very nice apartment, right? — but it's sealed! It's beautiful. I don't think anything gets out. And I'm not supposed to be using hair spray."   

Edited by Opl

16 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

A lot more than CO2 is skewing world weather patterns.  Methane is another factor.  So are trillions of specks of ash (emitted from fossil fuel burning) falling on snowpacks - particularly Greenland.  

Well, don't say it too loud, or the SJW types will start calling you a "denier".

First, the war on CO2 must be paramount; that's where Big Oil can be attacked.

And whatever you do, don't mention particulates, since half of them are generated in China and India alone, versus a measly 3% for the USA and 2% from Western Europe. Even Indonesia puts out more particulates than the US, you know, burning down Borneo and so on.

You need to keep ragging on perfidious Western capitalists, not harassing the noble developing world.

Where is your solidarity?

41 minutes ago, Opl said:

Thanks! I missed this nugget !

"Let's see, I'm in my room in New York City and I want to put on a little spray, right? Right?  But I hear where they don't want me to use hair spray. They want me to use the pump! "bing, bing, bing".. And then it comes out in big globs, right, and it's stuck in your hair. I want to use hair spray. They say, 'Don't use hair spray, it's bad for the ozone. So I'm sitting in this concealed apartment, this concealed — I really do live in a very nice apartment, right? — but it's sealed! It's beautiful. I don't think anything gets out. And I'm not supposed to be using hair spray."   

Our grandchildren, reading verbatum excerpts of Trumpisms, 70 years from now, won't believe a man in a top position of power said such things.  Nixon went down in history as the semi-hunchback saying, "I'm not a crook!"   Trump will eclipse that sour image tenfold.

6 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Well, don't say it too loud, or the SJW types will start calling you a "denier".

First, the war on CO2 must be paramount; that's where Big Oil can be attacked.

And whatever you do, don't mention particulates, since half of them are generated in China and India alone, versus a measly 3% for the USA and 2% from Western Europe. Even Indonesia puts out more particulates than the US, you know, burning down Borneo and so on.

You need to keep ragging on perfidious Western capitalists, not harassing the noble developing world.

Where is your solidarity?

Well, thanks for putting words in SJW's mouths. Words which I haven't seen anywhere in reality. I guess since you've got nothing, it's time to make things up.

In fact, the point about methane and particulates have long been raised by climate scientists.

And the role of methane is repeatedly denied by global warming denialists.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/04/11/methane-the-irrelevant-greenhouse-gas/

And you see, I didn't even have to make it up. I used something called evidence.

And the role of methane is repeatedly denied by global warming denialists.

Denialists deny things? Well, thanks for that piece of scholarship.

And you haven't provided any "evidence", even by your own reduced standards. You have simply pointed to a commentary by a well-credentialled scientist which argues that worries about methane are unfounded. Just because you don't like what he says, that doesn't make him a "denialist".

That's not evidence, or science, of any sort.

It's simply repeating tired SJW arguments as an automatic response, something that Jim the Wonder Dog could be trained to do.

1 hour ago, RickBradford said:

Denialists deny things? Well, thanks for that piece of scholarship.

And you haven't provided any "evidence", even by your own reduced standards. You have simply pointed to a commentary by a well-credentialled scientist which argues that worries about methane are unfounded. Just because you don't like what he says, that doesn't make him a "denialist".

That's not evidence, or science, of any sort.

It's simply repeating tired SJW arguments as an automatic response, something that Jim the Wonder Dog could be trained to do.

So tell me where are SJW denying the role of methane and particulate matter in global warming? You made the claim - now justify it.

And as for that well-credentialed scientist, he may be well credentialled for whatever branch of physics he got his phd in, but as for climate science, no.

I read his argument and it was ludicrous. He claims that water vapor in air soaks up all the infrared radiation that methane otherwise would and leaves none for the methane. Given. among other things, the immense variablity of atmospheric humidity, this argument is clearly nonsense.

8 hours ago, nausea said:

What?

Join the club.

Er, what has a cold wave in the US got to do with Thailand? Right now in Chiang Mai I'm sitting with the ranch slider open beside me as it's too warm to stay inside with the window closed and the AC off. If it wasn't cloudy I could sunbathe on the balcony.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, rooster59 said:

A few miles north, in New York's Bronx borough, nurse Libia Veliz entered a pastry shop, shivering even though she wore a thick winter coat.

"It's horrible," Veliz said, adding that she luckily does not have to work this weekend, when it is expected to snow.

"I'm staying home, staying with family and staying warm," she said.

She should emigrate to Mexico. I hear it stays nice and warm all year round. :sleep:

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Er, what has a cold wave in the US got to do with Thailand? Right now in Chiang Mai I'm sitting with the ranch slider open beside me as it's too warm to stay inside with the window closed and the AC off. If it wasn't cloudy I could sunbathe on the balcony.

You've got it backwards. What has Thailand got to do with a cold wave in North America? As you may recall the top is something about a cold wave gripping the USA.

So tell me where are SJW denying the role of methane and particulate matter in global warming? You made the claim - now justify it.

I made no such claim, as you will see if you read my post. I know it's a favourite SJW tactic to just make stuff up and use that as a basis for argument, but it won't wash on this occasion.

Having said that, one of the biggest, most vocal, and best-funded of the SJW-type organisations involved in climate is 350.org, named after the level of CO2 they think will enable us to save the planet, whatever that's supposed to mean. "We're here [400ppm]; we need to be here [350ppm]."

All their rhetoric is the usual stuff about evil CO2, nothing at all about particulates, and only a passing mention of methane in a single sentence.

3 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

I made no such claim, as you will see if you read my post. I know it's a favourite SJW tactic to just make stuff up and use that as a basis for argument, but it won't wash on this occasion.

Having said that, one of the biggest, most vocal, and best-funded of the SJW-type organisations involved in climate is 350.org, named after the level of CO2 they think will enable us to save the planet, whatever that's supposed to mean. "We're here [400ppm]; we need to be here [350ppm]."

All their rhetoric is the usual stuff about evil CO2, nothing at all about particulates, and only a passing mention of methane in a single sentence.

Somebody else must have hacked into your account and written this:

"And whatever you do, don't mention particulates, since half of them are generated in China and India alone, versus a measly 3% for the USA and 2% from Western Europe. Even Indonesia puts out more particulates than the US, you know, burning down Borneo and so on.

Where is your solidarity?"

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Well you alleged that the SJWs don't mention it. Which is nonsense.

I alleged nothing of the sort, as you will see if you read my post.

I said that if you take the primary focus away from CO2 as the evil-doer, you are likely to find yourself being called a "denier".

There's nonsense round here, but it's not coming from me.

Edited by RickBradford

5 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

I alleged nothing of the sort, as you will see if you read my post.

I said that if you take the primary focus away from CO2 as the evil-doer, you are likely to find yourself being called a "denier".

There's nonsense round here, but it's not coming from me.

So you're claiming that there is anthropogenic global warming but it's mainly due to particulates?  Well, that's progress of a sort. It's still nonsense, but nonsense of a better quality.

12 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

So you're claiming that there is anthropogenic global warming but it's mainly due to particulates?  Well, that's progress of a sort. It's still nonsense, but nonsense of a better quality.

*sigh*

Just read what I posted. I'm not going to say it yet again. And stop making up stuff for me which I didn't write.