727 arrested for drunk driving

rooster59

727 arrested for drunk driving

By The Nation

272b3fa71618e659d580770ce1170c30.jpeg

A total of 727 people have been arrested for drunk driving on Thursday and Friday, the first two days of the seven-day monitoring period of drunk driving, a senior official said.

Thawatchai Thaikhiew, deputy permanent secretary at the Justice Ministry, said the statistic was collected by the Corrections Department.

The department has been informed that 1,107 motorists had been arrested and would be given social service punishment because of bad driving during the first two days. Of this, 727 were arrested for drunk driving, 43 for reckless driving, one for road racing, and 336 for testing positive for drug use while driving.

He said 70 of the cases happened in Bangkok, 48 in Surin, 45 in Mahasarakham, 36 in Nonthaburi, and 24 in Chachoengsao.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30335099

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-30

So; what about the rest of the country ?    If the numbers right across the country keep stacking up like this it just shows how much the people take notice of warnings and advice about drink driving.  However; far more will be drink driving than will ever be caught !

38 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

1,107 motorists had been arrested and would be given social service punishment because of bad driving during the first two days.

Laughable punishment, but I suppose it beats the usual wai and 500 baht fine

If that's the punishment I'll start going out for a drink again and driving home after!    I assume that's the Thai punishment though, farangs will no doubt be thrown in the slammer and fined 20k+, and possibly deported!

If that's the punishment I'll start going out for a drink again and driving home after!    I assume that's the Thai punishment though, farangs will no doubt be thrown in the slammer and fined 20k+, and possibly deported!
I hope so because farangs should at least know better.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

" social service punishment" Not good enough,all this talk about been tough

on DUI drivers means nothing,just goes to show the Government is afraid to

implement measures to could put a stop driving under the influence of alcohol

and drugs.

regards worgeordie

The dui program in pattaya and likely other tourist areas is only money driven.  It is a joke and the biggest windfall for police in their history.  One farang dui bust constitutes the equivalent of about 50 helmet fines which do you think they will go after?  Additionally drunk motorbike taxis and most cars and even reckless bus drivers are not pulled over.  I understand many corrupt officers are taking bribes of 20000 after threatening to throw the foreign driver in the clink.  Wake up people.

Over the last three days while driving around Phuket, I have seen more than 20 motorists driving with a mobilephone stuck to their ear. Not stationery but in moving traffic at 60 to 80 kmph.

Plenty of police lined the streets yesterday, but I only saw bikes being pulled over on Thepkasatri and the road leading towards Laguna.

Cant these cops pull over cars or are they too scared who might be in them?

3 hours ago, losworld said:

The dui program in pattaya and likely other tourist areas is only money driven.  It is a joke and the biggest windfall for police in their history.  One farang dui bust constitutes the equivalent of about 50 helmet fines which do you think they will go after?  Additionally drunk motorbike taxis and most cars and even reckless bus drivers are not pulled over.  I understand many corrupt officers are taking bribes of 20000 after threatening to throw the foreign driver in the clink.  Wake up people.

Then don’t drink and drive. 

It’s fairly simple. 

1 hour ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Over the last three days while driving around Phuket, I have seen more than 20 motorists driving with a mobilephone stuck to their ear. Not stationery but in moving traffic at 60 to 80 kmph.

Plenty of police lined the streets yesterday, but I only saw bikes being pulled over on Thepkasatri and the road leading towards Laguna.

Cant these cops pull over cars or are they too scared who might be in them?

Mobiles stuck to ears?

Bloody superglue...

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

" social service punishment" Not good enough,all this talk about been tough

on DUI drivers means nothing,just goes to show the Government is afraid to

implement measures to could put a stop driving under the influence of alcohol

and drugs.

regards worgeordie

The typical governmental response will be that punishment fits as they are poor and have no money. 

At the very end: nothing will change in driving drunk, younger or older drivers not care and not scared as they not loose anthing: still can go on with their cars or motorbikes, the fines are just to laugh and the pribes can make it easy to go without beeing hurt or punished by law or justice or whatever

So thailand love to be a hub: they won and will win ever the hub to be 1st in death on the roads!!!!!!!!!!

congratulation!

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

Are they a superior race??

Nope, but in their home countries there have been huge campaigns about drunk driving, for far longer as in Thailand. So they should know better because they have been confronted with the dangers of drunk driving longer.

On 12/30/2017 at 1:04 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Laughable punishment, but I suppose it beats the usual wai and 500 baht fine

I think it means: 1,107 motorists had been arrested and would be given social service punishment (if they don't have 500 baht and are too pissed to wai) because of bad driving during the first two days.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Nope, but in their home countries there have been huge campaigns about drunk driving, for far longer as in Thailand. So they should know better because they have been confronted with the dangers of drunk driving longer.

I have only one homecountry. So i don't know if all the other farang had to see the same warnings on tv whereever they were born and if they had the same strict police there.

31 minutes ago, Thian said:

I have only one homecountry. So i don't know if all the other farang had to see the same warnings on tv whereever they were born and if they had the same strict police there.

You would know that if you talk with other foreigners from other countries and breach the subject. Its pretty much the same all over Europe and in the US that these warnings were displayed.