Environmental concerns raised with Koh Maphrao bridge proposal

rooster59

Environmental concerns raised with Koh Maphrao bridge proposal

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1514626778_1-org.jpg

The mangroves off Koh Maphrao Pier could be damaged it the proposed bridge goes ahead. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) voiced their concern to The Phuket News this week (Dec 28) about the likely negative environmental effects that would result if a proposed bridge from Phuket to Koh Maphrao (Coconut Island) went ahead.

Watcharin Thintalang, Director of the DMCR’s Phuket office said, “If this project negatively effects the environment and leads to causing harm to the mangroves, than I am very concerned, and I will take serious steps to make sure the law is strictly followed.

“We will arrange to meet with the officials involved in this project. Then, we will bring to their attention the environmental laws involved, especially if the bridge will affect mangroves in the area,” he added.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/environmental-concerns-raised-with-koh-maphrao-bridge-proposal-65357.php#EOGBOYZ1qSk4p0do.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-12-30

5 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

A car ferry would seem a reasonable alternative.

Minimal impact on mangroves and able to monitor/control how many cars enter the island.

Redundant equipment from Lanta could be utilized.

Koh Maprao doesn't need cars. It doesn't need a bridge. It's very small.

The concept probably comes at the behest of some VIP that happens to own land there.

23 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Koh Maprao doesn't need cars. It doesn't need a bridge. It's very small.

The concept probably comes at the behest of some VIP that happens to own land there.

Haven't been there myself so I did research the place before posting.

I noted the Island is nearly 2 1/2 kms west to east and the road from the jetty to the village is approx. 1km.  The road continues to the east end of the island to what is presumably a private business venture. Many are probably unable to walk these distances.

It certainly doesn't warrant a bridge paid for with government money, but the villagers may have a case for a ferry. Possibly for residents only?

Perhaps a regular bus service across the Island (supplemented by the ubiquitous motorbikes) would be suitable for local transport 

20 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Haven't been there myself so I did research the place before posting.

I noted the Island is nearly 2 1/2 kms west to east and the road from the jetty to the village is approx. 1km.  The road continues to the east end of the island to what is presumably a private business venture. Many are probably unable to walk these distances.

It certainly doesn't warrant a bridge paid for with government money, but the villagers may have a case for a ferry. Possibly for residents only?

Perhaps a regular bus service across the Island (supplemented by the ubiquitous motorbikes) would be suitable for local transport 

I've been a few times and I believe there are two ferries (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), one of which caters for locals and staff at the Village Coconut Island, the other just for guests at the aforementioned resort.

There's basic transportation there; some trucks and motorbikes. It really doesn't warrant an expensive, environmentally disastrous bridge. 

Oh ,oh  don't hurt the poor Mangroves, they must be an endangered plant right?

Yes, lets make that fake news the truth , for Gods sake do not build a bridge to

improve the situation. keep the ferry that can only run in good weather and

not worry about those Islanders. They are happy  Happy I tell you!

Geezer