Colorado deputy killed in barrage of gunfire at apartment complex

webfact

Colorado deputy killed in barrage of gunfire at apartment complex

By Keith Coffman

2017-12-31T185514Z_1_LYNXMPEDBU0IU_RTROPTP_3_COLORADO-SHOOTING.JPG

A vehicle leaves the Copper Canyon apartments, the scene of the incident where deputies and civilians were shot in Highlands Ranch, Colorado, U.S. December 31, 2017. REUTERS/Rick Wilking

DENVER (Reuters) - A gunman opened fire on sheriff's deputies responding to a report of a loud disturbance at an apartment complex near Denver on Sunday morning, killing one officer before the suspect was shot and killed, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said.

Four other deputies and two civilians were shot and wounded by the unidentified suspect, who had had numerous run-ins with law enforcement, according to Sheriff Tony Spurlock. It was not immediately clear why the incident had escalated, Spurlock said.

"All of them were shot very, very quickly and they all went down almost within seconds of each other," Spurlock told reporters at a news conference, calling it an "ambush-type" attack.

President Donald Trump said on Twitter: "My deepest condolences to the victims of the terrible shooting in Douglas County @dcsheriff, and their families."

The deputies responded to a complaint at a suburban apartment complex in Douglas County, about 16 miles south of Denver, shortly after 5 a.m. MST (noon GMT), Spurlock said.

Immediately after the five officers entered the apartment, the suspect, who was in a bedroom, began firing, killing Deputy Zackari Parrish, 29, and injuring the four others.

"When he was shot and went down, the other officers went down right around him and they tried to pull him out, but were unable to because of their injuries," Spurlock said. Parrish had been on the force for only seven months.

Police initially thought the call was about domestic violence but it turned out to be complaint of a loud disturbance in the apartment, the sheriff said.

The suspect, who Spurlock believed was in the apartment with at least one other person, fired more than 100 rounds before he was shot by police.

The other injured officers were identified as Mike Doyle, 28; Taylor Davis, 30; Jeffrey Pelle, 32, and Tom O'Donnell 31. They were taken to local hospitals and were in stable condition.

Pelle, who underwent emergency surgery, is the son of Boulder County Sheriff Joe Pelle, according to an online statement from the family.

The identities of the two injured civilians were not immediately disclosed, but Spurlock said he believed they are residents from other apartments. Their injuries were not life- threatening, he said.

The apartment complex, in Highlands Ranch, an affluent suburban community near Littleton, is described on its website as "one of the friendliest apartments" in the area.

(Additional reporting by Gina Cherelus and Frank McGurty in New York and Roberta Rampton in Washington D.C.; Writing by Gina Cherelus and Frank McGurty; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-01

RIP, another police officer shot in the line of duty, when a police officer in any country starts his/her days work, they never know if they will make it home at the end of the shift, more worrying for the family at home than the police officer, but always in the back of your mind while at work. my thoughts are with the families of the deceased and injured, and i praise the police for the work they do.

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

RIP, another police officer shot in the line of duty, when a police officer in any country starts his/her days work, they never know if they will make it home at the end of the shift, more worrying for the family at home than the police officer, but always in the back of your mind while at work. my thoughts are with the families of the deceased and injured, and i praise the police for the work they do.

Much more likely in a country with a gun culture like the USA. My city in Canada of about 800k last had an officer killed in 1970. 

While it's disheartening that some depraved psychopath laid an ambush to murder some people this thin blue line hero-isation of the police is ridiculous. 

In the States (and I assume elsewhere) more are killed in traffic accidents than as a result of their jobs.

In fact they don't even rank in the top ten most dangerous professions!

I.E. if they don't want to have the risks associated with the job (obesity from too many doughnuts and high cholesterol from sitting on their butts all day) they should get themselves a Playstation or Xbox and play Call of Duty where they can get their kicks shooting people...

I hope this thread does not turn into another USA has too many arms thingy.  RIP to that young officer.:sad:

When I was a cop over there, calls on a family issue was always the most worrisome because of emotions flying high at that address. 

Traffic stops being a close second.:violin:

What makes it worse in Thailand is the inexperience of a cop dealing with emotions, lack of proper firearm training and the ever present FACE saving crap that is dragging this nation down for centuries. :thumbsup:

Oh, and handcuffing suspects with wrists to the front as opposed to the back. That drives me nuts every time I see it. :1zgarz5:

15 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

I hope this thread does not turn into another USA has too many arms thingy.  RIP to that young officer.:sad:

When I was a cop over there, calls on a family issue was always the most worrisome because of emotions flying high at that address. 

Traffic stops being a close second.:violin:

What makes it worse in Thailand is the inexperience of a cop dealing with emotions, lack of proper firearm training and the ever present FACE saving crap that is dragging this nation down for centuries. :thumbsup:

Oh, and handcuffing suspects with wrists to the front as opposed to the back. That drives me nuts every time I see it. :1zgarz5:

So you don't want this to turn into a discussion about arms in the USA, even though it is related to arms in the USA, but are turning it into a discussion on police in Thailand, even though there is no connection with police in Thailand.

4 hours ago, dave_boo said:

While it's disheartening that some depraved psychopath laid an ambush to murder some people this thin blue line hero-isation of the police is ridiculous. 

In the States (and I assume elsewhere) more are killed in traffic accidents than as a result of their jobs.

In fact they don't even rank in the top ten most dangerous professions!

I.E. if they don't want to have the risks associated with the job (obesity from too many doughnuts and high cholesterol from sitting on their butts all day) they should get themselves a Playstation or Xbox and play Call of Duty where they can get their kicks shooting people...

in the west, who will you call when you get home and your house has been  broken into, not dunkin doughnuts i assume.

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

in the west, who will you call when you get home and your house has been  broken into, not dunkin doughnuts i assume.

The same thing Americans have been doing since the beginning. 

Everyone knows the sound of a shotgun slide being worked. Especially those who are breaking into houses.

If the audio cue isn't enough to discourage them then things will be escalated as necessary.

Note that I don't feel the need for a CCW and don't even own a pistol. Never thought I had to be a badass and flaunt weapons around. Used to shoot woodchucks for population control but otherwise I'll just go trap shooting once every few years.

So no I am not a nutter either way. Just part of the mostly silent, hopefully mostly sane, majority.