Video: Seven migrant workers catapulted onto the road but all live

snoop1130

Guest Jerry787

how many deaths before politicians will enforce the law that will forbid people seating on the rear of the pick up ?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The video shows one receiving CPR - incredible if they saved her life. 

This definitely brings back to the forefront the issues and recent news regarding the 'lifted' bans on people riding in the backs of pick-up trucks. 

Its often those who's opportunity for choice is removed based on their financial and social status who are placed in harms way. 

always choosing the cheapest is not the same thing as not being able to upgrade if needed.

not always about ability, its the culture, cheapest is always first choice regardless other options.

For those of you belly-aching about tire shops not inflating tires to their correct pressure, do something about it. Buy a proper pressure gauge and a hand pump like I did from HomePro. I had to pump up my scooter tires every 7-10 days. Most tires lose air over a short period but the small scooter tires deflate even faster. 

3 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

For those of you belly-aching about tire shops not inflating tires to their correct pressure, do something about it. Buy a proper pressure gauge and a hand pump like I did from HomePro. I had to pump up my scooter tires every 7-10 days. Most tires lose air over a short period but the small scooter tires deflate even faster. 

yes, they have tubes inside, and they deflate quickly compared to tubeless versions.

And the government, wringing its collective hands in horror, will now enforce the long ignored prohibition on riding in the cargo bed of pick-ups? Some hope! They'll do what they did last year: threaten it, hold off until after Songkran - another annual road carnage celebration - then forget all about it until the end of the year. And on it will go ...

In this Video both drivers doing the wrong thing, its a 50/50 responsability case.
If only one of them did not do wrong, the accident would have simply not happen.

- The pick driver change lane as soon his tire explode and without look if a car is coming. => this cancel the "you need keep your distance rule" concerning the truck driver as this rule is only for car who follow each other, and not apply at car who drive on different lane.

- The truck driver : he speed for pass other car on the slow lane of the road that is his real wrong action.
People who blame the accident on lack of braking from the truck driver, they bame the wrong thing. (Its an agravating circonstance but not the cause of the accident) Only 3 seconds happen bettewen the exploding tire and the impact, most people would need the first 2 seconds to react (one for understand what happen and one for physicaly push the brake) at best he could have break in the last second, unfortunatly its look like his reflex was to ring the horn instend of push the brake (witch happen exaclty at the last second before impact, its mean he wasnt sleeping but he did a wrong choise).
At the end even if he would have brake at the third second, in one second they was no way to avoid the impact as a truck dont slow fast like a car, only he could have make it less strong.

The other elements, like the car stationed on the left line, havent help for sure, but are only secondary factor.

Edited by French mate

17 hours ago, mercman24 said:

just a quickie on tyre pressures, i had a slow puncture on my scooter last week had it checked by 3 tyre bays, not one had a pressure gauge. must have been 50 psi in there, steering wandering all over the road, every bump like riding on a solid tyre (which it was ) so my take on it, they just guess tyre pressures,

And  do them when HOT also, Like at some gas  stations when they offer to do your tyre  pressures, no thanks Ill do them early  in the morning before they have been used.

6 hours ago, wcoast said:

My only comment is if the government is going to allow pickups to carry a boxload of people, they should be restricted to inside lanes and reduced speeds.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Thai drivers can NEVER EVER  keep  left.

Don't  waste  time saying how the roads are in a bad  way on the left as often they really aren't its really very simple ,they are too selfish/idle/ignorant to keep left.

17 minutes ago, French mate said:

In this Video both drivers doing the wrong thing, its a 50/50 responsability case.
If only one of them did not do wrong, the accident would have simply not happen.

- The pick driver change lane as soon his tire explode and without look if a car is coming. => this cancel the "you need keep your distance rule" concerning the truck driver as this rule is only for car who follow each other, and not apply at car who drive on different lane.

1) Where in the video would you see enough to know whether or not the pickup driver had looked? 

2) Perhaps he was experienced enough to be situationally aware.  When I drive, I am regularly checking the status of traffic around me, and when something happens which requires an immediate response, I do not need to waste time checking again.

3) The truck was moving into the lane where the pickup was, therefore your "cancel" concept does not apply.  They were following each other.

21 minutes ago, French mate said:

- The truck driver : he speed for pass other car on the slow lane of the road that is his real wrong action.
People who blame the accident on lack of braking from the truck driver, they bame the wrong thing. (Its an agravating circonstance but not the cause of the accident) Only 3 seconds happen bettewen the exploding tire and the impact, most people would need the first 2 seconds to react (one for understand what happen and one for physicaly push the brake) at best he could have break in the last second, unfortunatly its look like his reflex was to ring the horn instend of push the brake (witch happen exaclty at the last second before impact, its mean he wasnt sleeping but he did a wrong choise).

The truck was simply going too fast for the traffic conditions.  There is nothing in the video to support the claim that he was trying to pass slow traffic, in any lane, save, perhaps, for the parked car at the left.

24 minutes ago, French mate said:

At the end even if he would have brake at the third second, in one second they was no way to avoid the impact as a truck dont slow fast like a car, only he could have make it less strong.

The other elements, like the car stationed on the left line, havent help for sure, but are only secondary factor.

It hardly matters when one brakes in a situation like that--it will always help except when requiring precise steering control.  By the time of the "third second" the steering was too late to remedy, so the brakes should have been applied full force.  Even a 5 km/hr decrease in speed would have reduced the collision impact.

Multiple individuals posting in this topic have demonstrated a lack of having read the article.  The pickup driver was the 75-year-old, NOT the truck driver.  The pickup driver did the best he could under the circumstances.  Keep in mind that with the right rear tyre having blown, moving left too quickly could have resulted in a rollover.  The news article improperly labels the driver's action as if it were a mere result of the tyre.  As I watch the video, it appears a deliberate course correction in order to clear the disabled vehicle from the roadway.

4 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

And  do them when HOT also, Like at some gas  stations when they offer to do your tyre  pressures, no thanks Ill do them early  in the morning before they have been used.

If your tyres are so hot, why?  If they are warm with use, that's normal.  When they are warm the tyre pressure is higher than when they are cold.  So if you fill your tyres in the morning when they are cold, they will be more likely to reach excessively high pressures while you are driving.  In this case, when they are "hot" is a good time to check their pressure and/or fill them in order to avoid over-inflation.

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Nice deflection. 

You recommended a vehicular manslaughter charge.  There were no deaths.  Then you claimed that Thai drivers' brains cannot quickly assess a situation.  Which is a pretty blatant Thai bash.  I've found that Thai's have to be good at assessing and reacting to dangerous conditions, because they encounter so many more than we do back home.  Which is not an endorsement of traffic safety in Thailand.

On the CPR thing (which, BTW wasn't even mentioned until you needed a deflection), I think you'll find that worldwide, CPR has a minuscule success rate.   Whether the EMT is Thai or another nationality doesn't really play into that.  Unless you're just bashing Thais again.  

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/10/health/cpr-lifesaving-stats/index.html

http://www.jems.com/articles/2011/02/cpr-exercise-futility.html

Judging by the amount of fatalities  here Thais  do a pretty good  job of "bashing" themselves without any help from those feeeeelthy foreigners.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The truck was certainly undertaking traffic and the quality of the following truck drivers driving made him complicit when undertaking while there was a parked truck on the left. Perhaps he wasn't concentrating given the 'rabbiting' conversation on the video.

However, the root cause of the accident - poor vehicle maintenance (low tyre pressure or badly worn tires) resulting in the blow out combined with unrestrained passengers. 

I'd like to think that had many of us been driving this accident could have been avoided with quicker reactions and certainly not attempting to *undertake when the road was already blocked to the left. 

[*someone is bound to come on here and question 'undertaking' but in reality, in Thailand its sometimes the only way of passing some slow moving traffic in the right most lanes]

undertaking IS ILLEGAL in Thailand......but all drivers still do it 

10 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

1) Where in the video would you see enough to know whether or not the pickup driver had looked? 

2) Perhaps he was experienced enough to be situationally aware.  When I drive, I am regularly checking the status of traffic around me, and when something happens which requires an immediate response, I do not need to waste time checking again.

3) The truck was moving into the lane where the pickup was, therefore your "cancel" concept does not apply.  They were following each other.

The truck was simply going too fast for the traffic conditions.  There is nothing in the video to support the claim that he was trying to pass slow traffic, in any lane, save, perhaps, for the parked car at the left.

It hardly matters when one brakes in a situation like that--it will always help except when requiring precise steering control.  By the time of the "third second" the steering was too late to remedy, so the brakes should have been applied full force.  Even a 5 km/hr decrease in speed would have reduced the collision impact.

Multiple individuals posting in this topic have demonstrated a lack of having read the article.  The pickup driver was the 75-year-old, NOT the truck driver.  The pickup driver did the best he could under the circumstances.  Keep in mind that with the right rear tyre having blown, moving left too quickly could have resulted in a rollover.  The news article improperly labels the driver's action as if it were a mere result of the tyre.  As I watch the video, it appears a deliberate course correction in order to clear the disabled vehicle from the roadway.

If your tyres are so hot, why?  If they are warm with use, that's normal.  When they are warm the tyre pressure is higher than when they are cold.  So if you fill your tyres in the morning when they are cold, they will be more likely to reach excessively high pressures while you are driving.  In this case, when they are "hot" is a good time to check their pressure and/or fill them in order to avoid over-inflation.

Mr Michelin disagrees  with you and I guess they know a  thing or two about pressures, states  check pressures  when cold or 2  hours of non use https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/guide-for-tyre-pressure 

Mr Bridgestone also says the same https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/how-to-check-tire-pressure

Edited by gunderhill

3 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Mr Michelin disagrees  with you and I guess they know a  thing or two about pressures, states  check pressures  when cold or 2  hours of non use https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/guide-for-tyre-pressure 

If you read carefully, "Mr Michelin" is agreeing with me.  That page says to add even more air if the tyre is hot.  That is for the express reason that the air will contract as it cools, reducing the pressure.  If you are worried about "over-inflation" at a typical tyre shop in Thailand, therefore, having them fill them while hot will give you a small buffer of protection, because the tyre will have slightly less pressure once cooled.  If, on the other hand, they were to overfill them while cool, you would have an even greater problem once they had warmed up.

I'll admit I had not looked this up.  This is common sense for chemistry-savvy folk like me.  It follows Boyle's laws.  I went to read the page you linked thinking that it was possible I had missed something with the properties of the rubber itself--but I did not see any evidence of it softening or relaxing significantly when heated. 

Absolute bull. Tires should be checked and filled to the appropriate pressure when cool before driving. This is standard industry knowledge, read your manual.

1 minute ago, wcoast said:

Absolute bull. Tires should be checked and filled to the appropriate pressure when cool before driving. This is standard industry knowledge, read your manual.

Sure. If doing this professionally, you would be correct.  But where in Thailand do people use a gauge?  What I was addressing was the comment regarding the local tyre shops inflating until the tire was "hard" and not using a gauge.  For my part, I stand by my comment: it would be safest to do it in this manner while the tyres are hot.

15 hours ago, gerritkaew said:

people in the back, driving in the middle lane, som nom nah.

for sure no driver license.

1: A quick change into the left lane ignoring any traffic in that lane.  (happens all the time)

2: Truck on its way to overtake  at a speed where he is incapable of dealing with object doing lane change (happens all the time)

2 bad drivers at the same place = crash.

<Thai language removed as this is the English language side of the forum>

Som-nam-hna

Edited by metisdead

15 hours ago, dotpoom said:

What are you on about?

The truck driver was correctly in the inside lane with nothing in front of him (not tailgateing or up close to anything) the pick up was on his outside lane. The pick up, through no fault of it's own ( a puncture) veered over in front of the truck, leaving same truck with no time to stop before hitting it.

This is a real example of an "accident"... nobody's fault.

The truck didn't even slow sown or brake until the pickup was in front of it. As someone else commented, he truck driver hit his horn button which for some reason is always prioritized over the brake pedal (or even just taking one's foot off the gas pedal) in LOS.

14 hours ago, r136dg said:

Have to agree with AsianAtHeart. The commercial vehicle should have easily been able to read what was unfolding there & slowed the **** down.

Absolutely correct,. The truck was undertaking the pickup and wasn't even cognizant of a vehicle parked on the hard shoulder on his left that meant he was shooting an even narrower gap (as they do here). He drove into the situation.

9 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

If you read carefully, "Mr Michelin" is agreeing with me.  That page says to add even more air if the tyre is hot.  That is for the express reason that the air will contract as it cools, reducing the pressure.  If you are worried about "over-inflation" at a typical tyre shop in Thailand, therefore, having them fill them while hot will give you a small buffer of protection, because the tyre will have slightly less pressure once cooled.  If, on the other hand, they were to overfill them while cool, you would have an even greater problem once they had warmed up.

I'll admit I had not looked this up.  This is common sense for chemistry-savvy folk like me.  It follows Boyle's laws.  I went to read the page you linked thinking that it was possible I had missed something with the properties of the rubber itself--but I did not see any evidence of it softening or relaxing significantly when heated. 

you  need  to  look more  carefully, they all recommend filling when cold only saying  "if " you have to fill when hot add more by 4-5psi they dont say  "fill when hot", none   recommend  filling when hot. See  below copied and pasted  off Mr Michelins  site and Mr Bridgestone says exactly the same, also note underneath my highlighted  text to "recheck" when cold.

• Check pressures when the tyres are cold (tyres which have not been used in the last 2 hours or have covered less than 2 miles (3 km) at low speed). 

Untitled.jpg

Edited by gunderhill

19 hours ago, r136dg said:

Another note on tire pressure; I check my tire pressure at stations quite often. I've witnessed these pick up conversion commercial vehicles putting 60 psi in tires rated 42/44 psi max. This will improve gas mileage a lot, but destroys control over the vehicle and braking abilities. Totally insane!

No,it's not (insane that is).

A loaded pick-up truck is recommended to have a rear tyre pressure of 60 psi.

As the driver probably is loading and unloading his truck throughout the day will he keep the max tyre pressure all day.

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

you  need  to  look more  carefully, they all recommend filling when cold only saying  "if " you have to fill when hot add more by 4-5psi they dont say  "fill when hot", none   recommend  filling when hot. See  below copied and pasted  off Mr Michelins  site and Mr Bridgestone says exactly the same, also note underneath my highlighted  text to "recheck" when cold.

• Check pressures when the tyres are cold (tyres which have not been used in the last 2 hours or have covered less than 2 miles (3 km) at low speed). 

Untitled.jpg

Mr. Gunderhill,

Until you understand Boyle's laws it will appear to you as though I am giving bad advice.  Only when you understand them will what I have posted begin to make sense to you and you will find that I am in perfect agreement with "Mr Michelin" and "Mr Bridgestone."

20 hours ago, impulse said:

Still safer than pushing them out of pickup beds and onto scooters.

And I'm sure there are billionaires that stand in complete disgust that we don't all have armored limos with military trained drivers.  We'd be so much safer...

Of course, the real solution is to improve the economic conditions that deny people the wherewithal to choose the safest mode of transport.  But that's more than a traffic issue.

If this really was a pick-up full of migrant workers as mentioned, they themselves have little choice.

A minivan would fulfil that purpose.

Actually rules against riding this way and enforcement may eventually make them change their ways, it will take time. I particularly think it should not be permitted on express ways and motorways.

Edited by jacko45k

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If this really was a pick-up full of migrant workers as mentioned, they themselves have little choice.

A minivan would fulfil that purpose.

Actually rules against riding this way and enforcement may eventually make them change their ways, it will take time. I particularly think it should not be permitted on express ways and motorways.

A look at the sadistic statistics indicates that before riding in the back of pickups is outlawed, riding on motorcycles should be.  Perhaps a campaign against "suicycles" should take first place--starting with prohibiting them on roads with a posted  speed limit above 60 kph.  If that is accomplished, the fatality rate should drop by at least half.

General road etiquette, however, needs to be taught.  In this particular case, neither the pickup driver nor riders appear to have been at fault--can we outlaw inattentive truck drivers?  What about that car parked at the side of the busy highway?  Can we outlaw stopping except in an emergency (e.g. a disabled vehicle, as the pickup was)? 

I once got written up for a 200 baht ticket (could have just put 100 baht into the policeman's pocket, but refused to do so) for driving in the wrong lane because I had deliberately stayed in the passing lane after passing a vehicle and seeing that there were multiple cars parked at the side of the road ahead of me.  In my country, giving a wide berth to such vehicles is considered courteous.  I found out, however, that the police were causing the mess by pulling people over for doing what I had done in response--and I also got to park on the side of the road with the other victims of their search for more pocket money.  This sort of police "enforcement" actually contributes to the unsafe driving culture to be found in Thailand.

Edited by AsianAtHeart

On 03/01/2018 at 1:15 AM, AsianAtHeart said:

You think it just might be the fault, not of those in the pickup, but of that ill-mannered truck driver?  In some countries, you don't get to rule the road just because you're the biggest bozo on it.  In fact, you might lose your commercial license for good over an incident like that.

Glad the victims all survived.  They probably would not have had they been on a motorcycle instead.

Did you watch the video or read the story? The pickup blew a tyre and veered into the path of the truck. Are you sure who the bozo is? 

4 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Did you watch the video or read the story? The pickup blew a tyre and veered into the path of the truck. Are you sure who the bozo is? 

At 09:43:59, the pickup truck starts indicating and moving left.

At 09:44:00 the pickup tire blows.

At 09:44:01 the pickup hits the brakes.

At 09:44:02 the truck sounds his horn... just after impact with the pickup.

Pretty sure that in a similar way as the truck driver disregarded what was in front of him, the pickup driver wasn't aware of what was behind him.