UBER Taxi's from Don Muang to city

Johnice

5 minutes ago, Johnice said:

Not familiar with BKK, how far is soi 11 from Wireless Rd where the Embassies are?

15 minute brisk walk, or 1 stop on the BTS (elevated light rail).  (30 minute walk if you walk like a local- but that's a whole 'nother topic)

Assuming you mean Sukhumvit Soi 11.

Edited by impulse

17 minutes ago, Johnice said:

Thanks, for that @impulse, so a metered taxi from DMK to Wireless Rd is fine?

That's how I'd go.  I've lived off Soi 16 for 6+ years.  Unfortunately, the metered taxi line at DMK can be long or it can be short.  Luck of the draw, really.  I rarely fly into DMK, but 3-20 minutes has been my experience in that line.  It usually looks worse than it is.

Ploen Chit is your BTS stop if you go to Wireless Road that way.  Nana is your stop from Soi 11.  But getting to the BTS from DMK is a taxi ride anyway.

Edit:  BTW, Chit Lom is okay for the BTS, and if you happen to find yourself on the Silom Line of the BTS (instead of the Sukhumvit Line), Rachadamri is good, too.  But that's way over-complicating it.

Edited by impulse

Uber is the trash-tier taxi-service.

Do not use them, they put honest and time-served taxi-drivers out of a job.

If you don't like the taxi-drivers that aren't Uber consider that there are zero-background checks on uber drivers and Uber has just had their license pulled in the UK as well.

3 hours ago, mitsubishi said:

If you don't like the taxi-drivers that aren't Uber consider that there are zero-background checks on uber drivers and Uber has just had their license pulled in the UK as well.

Uber in the UK was great but their great service was a challenge to Traditional London Cabbies who are mafia extortioners. I have heard nothing but praise for Uber here in Thailand but taxis from the main Bangkok airports are fair and cheap so no need to bother with Uber.

7 hours ago, mitsubishi said:

If there would be only honest taxi-drivers in BKK (or elsewhere in Asia), UBER wouldn't even operate here.

Thai people love Uber and GRAB too, it is not only the foreigners.

As for DMK airport: As has been mentioned, the lines can be very long, but if you don't have a lot of luggage, it is easy to walk out to Vibhavadi road, where usually several taxis are waiting ( and you don't have to ay the 50 Baht airport fee). Just make sure not to use someone who is barking "where you go" towards you, as those usually are out to rip you off. Choose one of the taxis, open the door, tell your destination (and do NOT ask "how much"!!!) and if the driver nods, get in. He then should switch on the meter without asking, if he doesn't or starts discussions, just get out and use the next one waiting there. Don't put your luggage in the trunk, as this could prove unfortunate in the rare cases something goes wrong with the driver

4 hours ago, siam2007 said:

If there would be only honest taxi-drivers in BKK (or elsewhere in Asia), UBER wouldn't even operate here.

Thai people love Uber and GRAB too, it is not only the foreigners.

As for DMK airport: As has been mentioned, the lines can be very long, but if you don't have a lot of luggage, it is easy to walk out to Vibhavadi road, where usually several taxis are waiting ( and you don't have to ay the 50 Baht airport fee). Just make sure not to use someone who is barking "where you go" towards you, as those usually are out to rip you off. Choose one of the taxis, open the door, tell your destination (and do NOT ask "how much"!!!) and if the driver nods, get in. He then should switch on the meter without asking, if he doesn't or starts discussions, just get out and use the next one waiting there. Don't put your luggage in the trunk, as this could prove unfortunate in the rare cases something goes wrong with the driver

Spoken like a true Bangkokian.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, The manic said:

I have heard nothing but praise for Uber here in Thailand but taxis from the main Bangkok airports are fair and cheap so no need to bother with Uber.

How can anyone in their right mind praise an illegal, uninsured service here?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, The manic said:

Uber in the UK was great but their great service was a challenge to Traditional London Cabbies who are mafia extortioners. I have heard nothing but praise for Uber here in Thailand but taxis from the main Bangkok airports are fair and cheap so no need to bother with Uber.

So why have uber not been able to renew their license in London then?

I think they are cheap....not "great" as you say.

On 1/4/2018 at 5:35 PM, Just Weird said:

How can anyone in their right mind praise an illegal, uninsured service here?

nobody is forced to use them.

You are welcome to continue using a "regular" cab, with a rude ill-behaved driver on a 36-hrs-non-stop-shift, helped by tons of YABAA pills, who charges you five times the going rate in his smelly run down vehicle after finishing the ride speeding and breaking traffic laws at any occasion.

SAWASDEE KRAB  ;-)

On 1/3/2018 at 10:11 AM, Johnice said:

Thanks, for that @impulse, so a metered taxi from DMK to Wireless Rd is fine?

Taxi's outside Don Mueang don't use the metre.

You have to go in the (very long sometimes) qeueu, pay 50 or 100? baht and wait for your turn to get a taxi.

If you can get one i would use Uber...

4 hours ago, siam2007 said:

You are welcome to continue using a "regular" cab, with a rude ill-behaved driver on a 36-hrs-non-stop-shift, helped by tons of YABAA pills, who charges you five times the going rate in his smelly run down vehicle after finishing the ride speeding and breaking traffic laws at any occasion.

"You are welcome to continue using a "regular" cab, with a rude ill-behaved driver on a 36-hrs-non-stop-shift, helped by tons of YABAA pills, who charges you five times the going rate in his smelly run down vehicle after finishing the ride speeding and breaking traffic laws at any occasion".

That's never happened to me once in 24 years in Bangkok and I'd bet that all of that has never happened to you either.  Unless... you've asked all the drivers if they've been on for 36 hours, you ask them all if they're on yaba, you accept non-metered rides, you agree to go in a smelly, run-down taxi (why would you when there are hundreds of new taxis on the roads?) and you think that Uber drivers don't ever speed or, ironically, break traffic laws when every single one of them is breaking the law just by taking a passenger!

By the way, I didn't claim that anyone is forced to use Uber, I suggested that anyone willingly using an uninsured, illegal service was not being rational.

6 hours ago, siam2007 said:

SAWASDEE KRAB  ;-)

And why do you think uber drivers / cars aren't the same? Plenty of horror stories about uber drivers and cars.

15 hours ago, Just Weird said:

you accept non-metered rides, you agree to go in a smelly, run-down taxi (why would you when there are hundreds of new taxis on the roads?)

If you go in the qeueu at Don Mueang you also get a very run-down taxi which has many failures, a driver who can't speak english at all and he even doesn't know the roadmap too well.

They always use the metre though and bring you to the destination. If the taxi is very crappy i just ask for another one which is no problem for them.

14 hours ago, strewth mick said:

And why do you think uber drivers / cars aren't the same? Plenty of horror stories about uber drivers and cars.

where are those horror stories in Thailand or nearby countries? I have maybe 150 rides now with both Uber and Grab, and did not experience one single "horror story". Not all rides were 100% perfect and in general Uber offers better quality than Grab, but if I have the chance between a regular cab and an Uber/Grab, I would always choose the latter if available. while most of my 1.000+ rides in BKK were uneventful (it helped that I lived in the suburbs and rarely ventured into tourist areas)  I had quite a few TRUE horror stories with regular cabs where I shit my pants, with drivers almost falling asleep (even on the Tollway from the airport), fighting with other drivers, irresponsible driving style or tampered meters. Night time is a lot lot worse, as I believe at least 70-80% of the cab drivers take amphetamines (watch their body language as they don't know what to do with their extremities when under influence of Yabaa).

And don't forget in some popular areas regular cabs with honest drivers that are willing to use the meter are simply NON-EXISTENT

19 hours ago, Thian said:

Taxi's outside Don Mueang don't use the metre.

Of course they do. At least they did in the approx. 30 cases I landed at DMK and walked out to Vibhavadee road.

And if one doesn't - fear not, the next cab you can hail down will usually pass by within the next ten seconds

25 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

where are those horror stories in Thailand or nearby countries? I have maybe 150 rides now with both Uber and Grab, and did not experience one single "horror story". Not all rides were 100% perfect and in general Uber offers better quality than Grab, but if I have the chance between a regular cab and an Uber/Grab, I would always choose the latter if available. while most of my 1.000+ rides in BKK were uneventful (it helped that I lived in the suburbs and rarely ventured into tourist areas)  I had quite a few TRUE horror stories with regular cabs where I shit my pants, with drivers almost falling asleep (even on the Tollway from the airport), fighting with other drivers, irresponsible driving style or tampered meters. Night time is a lot lot worse, as I believe at least 70-80% of the cab drivers take amphetamines (watch their body language as they don't know what to do with their extremities when under influence of Yabaa).

And don't forget in some popular areas regular cabs with honest drivers that are willing to use the meter are simply NON-EXISTENT

I just don't know why you think the problems you mentioned like drugs or bad driving are less likely to happen with uber. The uber drivers are not trained or regulated in any way. But you seem to know it all so I'll leave this conversation now.

56 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

Of course they do. At least they did in the approx. 30 cases I landed at DMK and walked out to Vibhavadee road.

And if one doesn't - fear not, the next cab you can hail down will usually pass by within the next ten seconds

Welcome to thailand, you walk to the very busy road infront of the airport (with your luggage) and go hailing taxi's there because the ones behind the exitdoors won't use the metre....

Also i've seen the army stopping/checking taxi's at the exitlane onto Viphawadee Rd....better not do that me thinks or expect a fine/accident.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

Welcome to thailand, you walk to the very busy road infront of the airport (with your luggage) and go hailing taxi's there because the ones behind the exitdoors won't use the metre....

Also i've seen the army stopping/checking taxi's at the exitlane onto Viphawadee Rd....better not do that me thinks or expect a fine/accident.

I actually cannot comment on the Taxi queue INSIDE the airport as the waiting time is usually unacceptable so I never used them.

If the army checks the exit lane ONTO Vibhavadee, this is irrelevant regarding cabs waiting OUTSIDE at Vibhavadee main road, this would only be relevant in case Cabs accept passengers from the departure level upstairs.

But you are right, the sad thing is that we actually have to discuss such topics at all....

1 minute ago, siam2007 said:

I actually cannot comment on the Taxi queue INSIDE the airport as the waiting time is usually unacceptable so I never used them.

If the army checks the exit lane ONTO Vibhavadee, this is irrelevant regarding cabs waiting OUTSIDE at Vibhavadee main road, this would only be relevant in case Cabs accept passengers from the departure level upstairs.

But you are right, the sad thing is that we actually have to discuss such topics at all....

Yes i agree, it's a big big shame that we have to use all kind of tricks to use a taxi from BKK-airport Don Mueang.

But the taxi's who drop off passengers won't use the metre, and they do it right infront of the group of security (without guns) sitting there at a table next to the entrancedoors. I asked those security why the taxi's don't use the metre and they pointed me to the huge qeueu to get an airport cab.  They didn't give a duck about the taxi's trying to get passengers without metre.

This is the situation after many crackdowns on the taxi's....but i don't understand why those taxi's which dropped their passengers at the airport can't go get new passengers from that qeueu...maybe they need to pay for that or don't have a license?

Also one day i took taxi from Swampy airport, at my home he said he would go back to swampy for the next passenger...that's 1 hour from here...why can't he stop at the closest mall and find a passenger there? Again he needs a license for that i think...

50 minutes ago, strewth mick said:

I just don't know why you think the problems you mentioned like drugs or bad driving are less likely to happen with uber. The uber drivers are not trained or regulated in any way. But you seem to know it all so I'll leave this conversation now.

Good. Please leave the conversations. 

not sure, but checking grab and ubder app quotes it looks to me like they are far more expensive than regular taxis.

havent used either here partly cos of the above observation, but based on other places where i hated and stopped using uber but liked grab a lot, im surprised that both grab and uber seem to be rips offs here.

On 26/01/2018 at 6:12 PM, bkk6060 said:

Why waste time with any of this nonsense.

Take the A1 bus from Dmx to Morchit.  Take skytrain to city.

Faster and cheaper.

I agree. That bus runs very frequently now so typically just a few minutes wait and it's safer and more comfortable too.