UBER Taxi's from Don Muang to city

Johnice

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Licensing, Training , drug tests, insurance. None of these things mean anything here. At least UBER cuts through the racist pricing schemes and you don’t waste time with scams and fare refusals.

"Licensing, Training , drug tests, insurance".

All the things that no Uber car/driver has!

"At least UBER cuts through the racist pricing schemes..."

Thailand's taxis have a two tier meter pricing scheme?  Really?  At least they have meters not like Uber who do charge what they like.

"...and you don’t waste time with scams and fare refusals."

Uber cuts through all those and provides it's passengers with scam-free, insurance-free rides whereas a taxi on the meter provides an insured, scam-free ride.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Thailand's taxis have a two tier meter pricing scheme?  Really?  At least they have meters not like Uber who do charge what they like.

Uber cuts through all those and provides it's passengers with scam-free, insurance-free rides whereas a taxi on the meter provides an insured, scam-free ride.

Uber don't charge what they like, they charge according to a rate that is totally transparent. 

As for being insured in a taxi, what kind of insurance do you really think you're going to get? In the event that the driver falls asleep and crashes and you break your spine, who do you think pays? At least in an Uber you can wear the seatbelt.

Of course they don’t have two- tier meters they have racist drivers. Being deflective and using straw-men arguments makes already poor arguments pathetic.

How many BKK taxis must one hail until a destination is accepted? Among those who accept how many will use the meter with out starting with the “you pay 500” rubbish. How many will be a ridden without enduring offers of shopping and sex services? How many have seatbelts?

Before you issue another apologia for BKK taxi drivers understand I do not actually care an individual Uber ARE INSURED OR NOT. If they are not、Better luck getting a payout from UBER’s policy anyway than some Taxi cooperative.

As far as I am concerned Uber drivers are just friends giving me rides. The UBER APP is an excellent information exchange and billing platform.

If a Thai friend gives me a ride I don’t check their insurance policy before getting in the car.

Was at DM yesterday what a cluster F.  90 minute wait for taxi.  I waited 30 minutes for A1 bus never came.

Finally decided to walk over the road to Amari and grabbed a taxi.  About 250b to Sukhumvit.

Never liked Uber but I guess I should have tried it.

5 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Uber don't charge what they like, they charge according to a rate that is totally transparent. 

As for being insured in a taxi, what kind of insurance do you really think you're going to get? In the event that the driver falls asleep and crashes and you break your spine, who do you think pays? At least in an Uber you can wear the seatbelt.

Yes, you can wear the seatbelt exactly as you can if you select your taxi and not accept the first heap of junk that comes along.   In the event that the Uber driver "falls asleep and crashes and you break your spine" (?) who do you think pays then?  Yes you, guaranteed, because the illegal Uber driver has no insurance when he is carrying fare-paying passengers!  The taxi will be insured.

By the way, what makes you think that the taxi co-operatives that own most of the taxis on the road do not have sufficient insurance that would cover them for claims for hospital costs and damages in the event of an accident?  Do you really think that the owners want to pay for everything out of their own pockets when they are renting the taxis out to thousands of possibly unknown drivers of unknown driving ability?   Some of the very old junkers that probably shouldn't be taxis because of their age and are now privately owned may not be insured, apart from the basic compulsory cover, but then you do not have to use those taxis, there are hundreds of brand new ones around now.  The choice is yours, insured taxi or uninsured Uber.

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Of course they don’t have two- tier meters they have racist drivers. Being deflective and using straw-men arguments makes already poor arguments pathetic.

How many BKK taxis must one hail until a destination is accepted? Among those who accept how many will use the meter with out starting with the “you pay 500” rubbish. How many will be a ridden without enduring offers of shopping and sex services? How many have seatbelts?

Before you issue another apologia for BKK taxi drivers understand I do not actually care an individual Uber ARE INSURED OR NOT. If they are not、Better luck getting a payout from UBER’s policy anyway than some Taxi cooperative.

As far as I am concerned Uber drivers are just friends giving me rides. The UBER APP is an excellent information exchange and billing platform.

If a Thai friend gives me a ride I don’t check their insurance policy before getting in the car.

"Of course they don’t have two- tier meters they have racist drivers".

What?  Taxi drivers are racist?  What experience do you have of blatant racism directed to you from a driver that you're going to be giving money to at the end of the ride?

Being deflective and using straw-men arguments makes already poor arguments pathetic".

What?  You'll have to explain that, I've no idea what it means.

"How many BKK taxis must one hail until a destination is accepted? Among those who accept how many will use the meter with out starting with the “you pay 500” rubbish..."

How many?  Probably 3 or 4 if you're unlucky and you're not daft enough to try to get one in one of the 2 or 3 notorious areas in Bangkok.  Walk a little away from them, it's not difficult. 

"You pay 500..."

Never heard that in 23 years of using Bangkok taxis, 100 or 200, yes, never 500, suppose it depends where you're going.  All you do is close the door and get the next one, accepting a taxi is not compulsory.

"How many will be a ridden without enduring offers of shopping and sex services?

Very few but what if they do, what's the big deal?  All you'd have to do is say "no thanks".

"How many have seatbelts?"

Select a newish taxi out of the hundreds that are available and you'll get seat belts, some of them even have signs telling passengers to use them.

'I do not actually care an individual Uber ARE INSURED OR NOT. If they are not、Better luck getting a payout from UBER’s policy anyway than some Taxi cooperative.

Rubbish.  Taxi co-operatives do not pay any claims, their insurance companies do that.

Re Uber's "policy", do you know of any insurance company that will pay a claim from an illegal, uninsured, unregistered driver or company?  Name one.

"As far as I am concerned Uber drivers are just friends giving me rides".

Enjoy your naivete, insurers aren't stupid.

"If a Thai friend gives me a ride I don’t check their insurance policy before getting in the car".

Of course you don't, you don't need to, that's because they're not carrying fare-paying passengers for a living so their insurance policy will not be invalidated by giving you a ride.

Yes, you can wear the seatbelt exactly as you can if you select your taxi and not accept the first heap of junk that comes along.   In the event that the Uber driver "falls asleep and crashes and you break your spine" (?) who do you think pays then?  Yes you, guaranteed, because the illegal Uber driver has no insurance when he is carrying fare-paying passengers!  The taxi will be insured.

By the way, what makes you think that the taxi co-operatives that own most of the taxis on the road do not have sufficient insurance that would cover them for claims for hospital costs and damages in the event of an accident?  Do you really think that the owners want to pay for everything out of their own pockets when they are renting the taxis out to thousands of possibly unknown drivers of unknown driving ability?   Some of the very old junkers that probably shouldn't be taxis because of their age and are now privately owned may not be insured, apart from the basic compulsory cover, but then you do not have to use those taxis, there are hundreds of brand new ones around now.  The choice is yours, insured taxi or uninsured Uber.

You seem to live in your own fantasy world. Yes I suppose it's possible to wander round from taxi to taxi looking for one with a seatbelt and then hope that that one is actually prepared to accept your fare. It would probably be quicker and easier to catch a bus though. As for insurance, the maximum seems to be 30,000 baht, not enough to treat your broken spine for long.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Just-how-safe-are-Bangkok-taxis-30279525.html

But what kind of fool relies on that rather than proper travel or medical insurance coverage?

"Of course they don’t have two- tier meters they have racist drivers".

What?  Taxi drivers are racist?  What experience do you have of blatant racism directed to you from a driver that you're going to be giving money to at the end of the ride?

Being deflective and using straw-men arguments makes already poor arguments pathetic".

What?  You'll have to explain that, I've no idea what it means.

"How many BKK taxis must one hail until a destination is accepted? Among those who accept how many will use the meter with out starting with the “you pay 500” rubbish..."

How many?  Probably 3 or 4 if you're unlucky and you're not daft enough to try to get one in one of the 2 or 3 notorious areas in Bangkok.  Walk a little away from them, it's not difficult. 

"You pay 500..."

Never heard that in 23 years of using Bangkok taxis, 100 or 200, yes, never 500, suppose it depends where you're going.  All you do is close the door and get the next one, accepting a taxi is not compulsory.

"How many will be a ridden without enduring offers of shopping and sex services?

Very few but what if they do, what's the big deal?  All you'd have to do is say "no thanks".

"How many have seatbelts?"

Select a newish taxi out of the hundreds that are available and you'll get seat belts, some of them even have signs telling passengers to use them.

'I do not actually care an individual Uber ARE INSURED OR NOT. If they are not、Better luck getting a payout from UBER’s policy anyway than some Taxi cooperative.

Rubbish.  Taxi co-operatives do not pay any claims, their insurance companies do that.

Re Uber's "policy", do you know of any insurance company that will pay a claim from an illegal, uninsured, unregistered driver or company?  Name one.

"As far as I am concerned Uber drivers are just friends giving me rides".

Enjoy your naivete, insurers aren't stupid.

"If a Thai friend gives me a ride I don’t check their insurance policy before getting in the car".

Of course you don't, you don't need to, that's because they're not carrying fare-paying passengers for a living so their insurance policy will not be invalidated by giving you a ride.

UBER drivers are required by the company to carry various insurances. UBERs policy protects riders against uninsured UBER drivers. Of course UBER  drivers in Thailand are uninsured and the whole scheme is illegal.  In the US it is multi-million dollar policy, I don't know what UBER Thailand promises but as I said I don't care. Maybe you can ring them up?

• I have medical insurance that fully covers me Globally.
  • There are no exclusions.
  • I do not carry "travel insurance" as that would be redundant.
  • I don't have life insurance even though I am very wealthy as I despise most of my relatives.
  • When I die in an UBER they can go sue UBER the driver, the third party, while fighting over my estate which is pointless as I only have a Thai will. And as most of my assets (offshore in US banks and brokerages) will be distributed fairly as prescribed under law by a probate judge

The rest of what you wrote is more deflective drivel. Not to get off topic but I am based in Chiang Mai and UBER and Grab has been a godsend. I pop by BKK several times a year and the taxi drivers, except from BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport, are getting harder and harder to deal with. I do think ride sharing pisses them off, I don't give a fig. Standing on the street hailing multiple cabs to be denied destinations (illegally) and quoted absurd off-meter fares is a waste of time.  I'd rather sit inside in an air-conditioned space until my phone vibrates. 

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143

37 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You seem to live in your own fantasy world. Yes I suppose it's possible to wander round from taxi to taxi looking for one with a seatbelt and then hope that that one is actually prepared to accept your fare. It would probably be quicker and easier to catch a bus though. As for insurance, the maximum seems to be 30,000 baht, not enough to treat your broken spine for long.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Just-how-safe-are-Bangkok-taxis-30279525.html

But what kind of fool relies on that rather than proper travel or medical insurance coverage?

No one, of course, but then what you said about the maximum being B30,000 is just nonsense.  Where did you get that gem from?  That's the minimum amount covered by compulsory insurance that everyone has if they tax their vehicles.  

I don't live in a fantasy world, sorry to disappoint you.  I use Bangkok taxis most days, and nights around the lower Sukhumvit area, so I'm talking from experience, it's not necessary to "wander round from taxi to taxi" if you want a seat belt, all you have to do is stop a newish one and they're very east to recognize, the chances are that they will have a usable belt. 

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No one, of course, but then what you said about the maximum being B30,000 is just nonsense.  Where did you get that gem from?  That's the minimum amount covered by compulsory insurance that everyone has if they tax their vehicles.  

If you'd read the link you would know where I got it from. But you're the one claiming anyone travelling in a Bangkok taxi is fully insured. So where's your evidence for that? And if nobody except a fool actually relies on it, why did you mention it anyway?

Edited by edwardandtubs

7 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

UBER drivers are required by the company to carry various insurances. UBERs policy protects riders against uninsured UBER drivers. Of course UBER  drivers in Thailand are uninsured and the whole scheme is illegal.  In the US it is multi-million dollar policy, I don't know what UBER Thailand promises but as I said I don't care. Maybe you can ring them up?

The rest of what you wrote is more deflective drivel. Not to get off topic but I am based in Chiang Mai and UBER and Grab has been a godsend. I pop by BKK several times a year and the taxi drivers, except from BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport, are getting harder and harder to deal with. I do think ride sharing pisses them off, I don't give a fig. Standing on the street hailing multiple cabs to be denied destinations (illegally) and quoted absurd off-meter fares is a waste of time.  I'd rather sit inside in an air-conditioned space until my phone vibrates. 

Why would I have any interest in calling Uber, you're the one who uses their cars, not me?  It would probably be a good idea to remember that this is Thailand not the US and whatever the US requires is irrelevant here.

What I commented was not deflective drivel.  I'm in Bangkok all the time, have been for 23 years and the problem with Bangkok taxis drivers is exaggerated massively by the likes of you and other  Thaivisa posters.  Some drivers will not want to use the meter and will be picky about where they go but they are the minority, not the majority.  There's around 100,000 of them registered in Bangkok, if a taxi isn't keen to take you just shut the door and get the next one, it's so easy.

" I'd rather sit inside in an air-conditioned space until my phone vibrates".

Safe in the knowledge that an illegal, unregistered, uninsured car is waiting for you.  You're welcome to that but then Chiang Mai may still be a lot different to Bangkok. 

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Safe in the knowledge that an illegal, unregistered, uninsured car is waiting for you.  You're welcome to that but then Chiang Mai may still be a lot different to Bangkok. 

Why are you still drivelling on about insurance when we've already established it's completely irrelevant? And you still haven't put forward any evidence supporting your claim that passengers in taxis are fully insured. 

Edited by edwardandtubs

27 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

If you'd read the link you would know where I got it from. But you're the one claiming anyone travelling in a Bangkok taxi is fully insured. So where's your evidence for that? And if nobody except a fool actually relies on it, why did you mention it anyway?

I didn't claim that every taxi is insured.  My suggestion was that it is unlikely that taxis owned by the big co-operatives, which would face huge liability for thousands of taxis if not insured i.e. most of the taxis, are not insured properly.   I did claim that every Uber is illegal and therefore uninsured.

By the way, you missed the part of your own link that stated that B30,000 was a 'contractual obligation' which suggests that the particular taxi in that one incident only had the minimum cover.  Nowhere was the phrase "B30,000 is the maximum amount" used in that article.

Edited by Just Weird

38 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Why are you still drivelling on about insurance when we've already established it's completely irrelevant? And you still haven't put forward any evidence supporting your claim that passengers in taxis are fully insured. 

In whose mind is it completely irrelevant?  Yours? I am responding to comments about it so clearly it is not irrelevant. And one of those posters that keeps commenting is you!  Irrelevant, eh?

As the likelihood is that the majority of taxis (which are mainly owned by large co-operatives and would, therefore, have huge potential liability if they carried no insurance) are insured the onus isn't on me to prove it, the onus is on those that are disputing it to prove their claim.  My claim about lack of insurance is that Uber cars are the culprits there and I don't see much argument about that.

Why would I have any interest in calling Uber, you're the one who uses their cars, not me?  It would probably be a good idea to remember that this is Thailand not the US and whatever the US requires is irrelevant here.

What I commented was not deflective drivel.  I'm in Bangkok all the time, have been for 23 years and the problem with Bangkok taxis drivers is exaggerated massively by the likes of you and other  Thaivisa posters.  Some drivers will not want to use the meter and will be picky about where they go but they are the minority, not the majority.  There's around 100,000 of them registered in Bangkok, if a taxi isn't keen to take you just shut the door and get the next one, it's so easy.

" I'd rather sit inside in an air-conditioned space until my phone vibrates".

i did not say the UBER US policy matters. I said I do not know what the UBER Thailand policy promises. Does it make you feel better about yourself to misrepresent other posters comments? Please keep up the foolishness.

You have been thoroughly P-owned here.

33 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

In whose mind is it completely irrelevant?  Yours? I am responding to comments about it so clearly it is not irrelevant. And one of those posters that keeps commenting is you!  Irrelevant, eh?

As the likelihood is that the majority of taxis (which are mainly owned by large co-operatives and would, therefore, have huge potential liability if they carried no insurance) are insured the onus isn't on me to prove it, the onus is on those that are disputing it to prove their claim.  My claim about lack of insurance is that Uber cars are the culprits there and I don't see much argument about that.

You're just making a fool of yourself now. You've admitted that only a fool would rely on taxi insurance so it's only relevant to fools. Yet you have no information or evidence regarding the extent of this insurance. Everyone just needs to rely on the 'likelihood' of it. Do you really think anybody is going to take you seriously?

13 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

i did not say the UBER US policy matters. I said I do not know what the UBER Thailand policy promises. Does it make you feel better about yourself to misrepresent other posters comments? Please keep up the foolishness.

You have been thoroughly P-owned here.

"i did not say the UBER US policy matters. I said I do not know what the UBER Thailand policy promises".

So why did you mention it then if it didn't matter to the thread?

"You have been thoroughly P-owned here".

Another incomprehensible remark but I'm betting it is something vulgar and, of course, untrue.

13 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

You're just making a fool of yourself now. You've admitted that only a fool would rely on taxi insurance so it's only relevant to fools. Yet you have no information or evidence regarding the extent of this insurance. Everyone just needs to rely on the 'likelihood' of it. Do you really think anybody is going to take you seriously?

Things like this have to be taken on balance as no one else has any evidence that the majority of Taxis are uninsured.  Realistically, the majority of taxis will be insured, it makes no sense for them not to be. 

"Do you really think anybody is going to take you seriously?"

Well, you tell me, how many people, apart from you, are disputing what I say?

Edited by Just Weird

nobody is forced to use them.

You are welcome to continue using a "regular" cab, with a rude ill-behaved driver on a 36-hrs-non-stop-shift, helped by tons of YABAA pills, who charges you five times the going rate in his smelly run down vehicle after finishing the ride speeding and breaking traffic laws at any occasion.
SAWASDEE KRAB  ;-)

The Taxi drivers won’t be happy until the UBER app has a box to check for “Farang Price” then they will launch their own apps also.