Cost of living?

Ruffian Dick

In the ten years I've been here it's been steadily rising, and no doubt, will continue until the next 1997 moment where you may get a deflationary recession/depression.

Edited by connda

There's a lot of things in Thailand where the price of them has changed very little for years, most basic foodstuff, household goods and utilities, mostly the type of items contained in the CPI basket which the government watches like a hawk - anything outside that basket is of a different story. The message is I think that basic subsistence living costs are largely flat, discretionary spending costs however have increased, some by quite a large margin. Here's the structure of the CPI basket:

Thai CPI in Thailand is constructed based on the Classification of Individual Consumption According to Purpose (COICOP) of United Nations. The goods and services (total of 417 items) in CPI calculation are weighed differently and arranged into 7 major groups. Major groups and examples of categories in each are as follows:

1. Food and Beverages - rice, flour, meat, duck, chicken, egg, vegetable, fruit, seasoning, and condiments, etc.

2. Apparel and Footwear - men's shirts, women's dresses, shoes, etc.

3. Housing and Furnishing - shelter, electricity charges, water supply charges, bedroom furniture, etc.

4. Medical and Personal Care - drugs and medical supplies, soap, shampoo, moisturizer, toilet paper, etc.

5. Transportation and Communication - vehicles, gasoline, vehicle insurance, communication equipment etc.

6. Recreation and Educational - toys, sports equipment, books, education admissions, etc.

7. Tobacco and Alcoholic Beverages - tobacco and smoking products, alcoholic beverage

https://www.managerial-economics-club.com/cpi-in-thailand.html

Edited by simoh1490

Laundry detergent still the same price .... but only 400 ml when it used to be 500 ml. :sad:

You can bet Uranus the cost of living has gone up for the things you NEED , not always for the things you want but don't really need.

29 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

when i came here you could take a girl from the bar for 500 baht all night , now i hear they want you to buy them a drink as well .

Latest is they don't want drinks anymore, just the latest smart phone.

Interesting post in that this morning a release that the Chonburi- Bangkok Tollway (Route 7 )

increase in tolls from 60 Bht to 105 Bht in April.

You have to be well connected to get the Government to approve a 75% increase.

Yes, cost of living is rising

There are three answers to what you say.

Yes it is cos the Thai's just love new year new price and the flaming exchange rate........

at best in my 13 years here it was 74.9 baht to the UK Pound but now it 43.1 baht to the UK pound. 

Two tier pricing system, Thai price / forienger price.

Said 100 times but true enough, our cash burn here increases when we dine out Western, visit our Locals and imbibe (only me, wife doesn't drink alcohol), and purchase import items, wine, Villa Market splurges, etc. 

Otherwise, day to day "normal" life, just hanging out around the house/local neighborhood areas, using the local Thai markets, crazy low monthly rent and absence of a few high California taxes..... Thailand comes out ahead for us.  

On the other hand, those savings and cost avoidances get torpedoed right out the water when we fly to the US for holiday.   Tracked all expenditures, beginning to end, on spreadsheets each time;  ranged from $9,000, to $12,700 for the last trip we made.  So it's probably a wash, or pretty close to it.

Edited by 55Jay

Just now, 55Jay said:

Said 100 times but true enough, our cash burn here increases when we dine out Western, visit our Locals and imbibe (only me, wife doesn't drink alcohol), and purchase import items, wine, Villa Market splurges, etc. 

Otherwise, day to day "normal" life, just hanging out around the house/local neighborhood areas, using the local Thai markets, crazy low monthly rent and absence of a few high California taxes..... Thailand comes out ahead for us.  

On the other hand, those savings and cost avoidances get torpedoed right out the water when we fly to the US for holiday.   Tracked all expenditures, beginning to end, on spreadsheets each time;  ranged from $9,000, to $12,700 for the last trip we made.  So it's probably a wash, or pretty close to it.

..and air fares  have gone up by 50% on some routes I have been following just in last few months

Just now, altcar bob said:

..and air fares  have gone up by 50% on some routes I have been following just in last few months

I noticed that, but there are still some good fares if you scrounge around and/or get lucky.  Besides China Southern, which I'm still a bit gun shy about, wasn't able to find a low business class fare, despite it being low season, so we're going Premium Eco on Cathay Pacific this time.  Did that a few years ago, this time was about 10,000 Baht more, even with a "promotion" rate. 

27 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

Happens almost every year before the holidays and the high season (assuming flights to Thailand).   

A fair comparison would need a longer time window than a few months.

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Interesting post in that this morning a release that the Chonburi- Bangkok Tollway (Route 7 )

increase in tolls from 60 Bht to 105 Bht in April.

You have to be well connected to get the Government to approve a 75% increase.

Yes, cost of living is rising

That 5 Baht trailer is going to be a mess.  100 Baht would of been better.