How did Bitcoin send Password/sign in info when they started ?

oldcarguy

Hi

I was talking to a computer guy I know that was into mining Bitcoins at the beginning , 

He said  it got boring as there was little you could do with them , 

But like many people after 10-20 bitcoins he forgot about it , 

Punchline is he probably recycled the computer for scrap......

So how did they send your log in info back then ?  Was it by email ?  if so any idea what the subject line might be ?

I  know nothing about Bitcoins ,  but if I could help this guy "find" his bitcoins  I am sure he would buy me a few lunches......on Tahiti :)

On 04/01/2018 at 9:14 AM, oldcarguy said:

but was the private key emailed to him 

or only after signing into some website  then it showed up ?

I guess the real question is does he try and dig back to emails  8-9 years ago  that might have the private key ?

It doesn't require email registration

If you mined the coins that far back they would be in blocks of 50 and in a file on your computer called wallet.dat

If you find that you've got the gold! 

On 1/7/2018 at 10:24 AM, speedtripler said:

It doesn't require email registration

If you mined the coins that far back they would be in blocks of 50 and in a file on your computer called wallet.dat

If you find that you've got the gold! 

You'd still need the private key to be able to use the wallet.dat file.

I threw away a HDD in around 2013/14 that had the private key to maybe 20 coins.  

Just over 9 million baht at today's price.   

25 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I threw away a HDD in around 2013/14 that had the private key to maybe 20 coins.  

yeah I think my friend is in the same boat.....

if it was in an email "maybe" he could find it , 

bye bye millions

1 minute ago, oldcarguy said:

yeah I think my friend is in the same boat.....

if it was in an email "maybe" he could find it , 

bye bye millions

100% not in an email, unless he emailed the private key to himself for safekeeping.

He hasn't lost millions.  He's lost what he paid for the coins in the first place and as he mined them, that was nothing back then.

31 minutes ago, seancbk said:

He hasn't lost millions.  He's lost what he paid for the coins in the first place and as he mined them, that was nothing back then.

I agree , and people with millions in bitcoins also might have a problem getting $$$$ if there is a run on the "bitcoin"  and everyone wants to cash out.

back when he was mining bitcoins it was just "fun"  but not any real money......

ohh well  , 

13 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:
49 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I agree , and people with millions in bitcoins also might have a problem getting $$$$ if there is a run on the "bitcoin"  and everyone wants to cash out.

Given the market cap of Bitcoin is US$ 250 billion and the Total market cap of all crypto is US$ 742 billion, I don't think we are going to see any run on Bitcoin.   

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

Encryption prompt wasn't standard on the first few clients, coins were worth nothing anyway so a wallet that old could well be unencrypted 

3 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Encryption prompt wasn't standard on the first few clients, coins were worth nothing anyway so a wallet that old could well be unencrypted 

I think you'll find that all wallets from day 1 were encrypted.   Otherwise you'd be able to access them.   

Don't forget a wallet is just a UI to the record on the blockchain.   Wallets are a virtual construct to make people feel like they are holding their assets.   

4 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I think you'll find that all wallets from day 1 were encrypted.   Otherwise you'd be able to access them.   

Don't forget a wallet is just a UI to the record on the blockchain.   Wallets are a virtual construct to make people feel like they are holding their assets.   

your wrong ,encryption was and still is optional in the core client ......

7 hours ago, speedtripler said:

your wrong ,encryption was and still is optional in the core client ......

I've always had a public and private key which to my mind means its encrypted.  

I only use Linux, so maybe Linux wallets are different.

Archived