90 Day Wife? Reality TV Thai wife offered $10,000 to leave U.S. by broke husband’s BFF

snoop1130

90 Day Wife? Reality TV Thai wife offered $10,000 to leave U.S. by broke husband’s BFF

By Coconuts Bangkok

jkjhkjl.JPG

Photos: Chanoknat Suwan Toborowsky/Facebook (left) and Chanoknatsuwan/ Instagram (right).

A few months ago, we brought you the news that a U.S. reality TV show was featuring a broke older American man that couldn’t afford to marry his young Thai girlfriend. The show, “90 Day Fiancé,” and the couple, Chanoknat “Annie” Suwan, 24, and David Toborowsky, 48, passed many hurdles during the show’s season and married in Kentucky during the final episode about a month ago.

However, David was still broke — he could barely afford the Thai wedding gold, buffalos, and a tiny dowry — and they were still unhappily living with David’s best friend, Chris Thienemen, his wife, and their baby.

However, on the recent reunion tell-all episode, it was revealed that all was still not well and Thienemen stepped in to offer Annie the sum of US$10,000 to leave and go back to Thailand.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/lifestyle/90-day-wife-reality-tv-thai-wife-offered-10000-leave-u-s-broke-husbands-bff/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-1-4

“However, David was still broke — he could barely afford the Thai wedding gold, buffalos, and a tiny dowry — and they were still unhappily living with David’s best friend, Chris Thienemen, his wife, and their baby. 

However, on the recent reunion tell-all episode, it was revealed that all was still not well and Thienemen stepped in to offer Annie the sum of US$10,000 to leave and go back to Thailand.

There were allegations of her using David for a green card and of David being a cheater, deadbeat, and alcoholic.”

Ah, love is a many splendid thing. 

Edited by Bluespunk

7 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

However, on the recent reunion tell-all episode, it was revealed that all was still not well and Thienemen stepped in to offer Annie the sum of US$10,000 to leave and go back to Thailand

The problem was that the best friend had agreed to sponsor her, and was legally tied into it for ten years. 

18 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The problem was that the best friend had agreed to sponsor her, and was legally tied into it for ten years. 

The problem with what you said .....Is there is NO such thing as a sponsorship for American immigration

Maybe Britain or Australia but NOT American

7 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

The problem with what you said .....Is there is NO such thing as a sponsorship for American immigration

Maybe Britain or Australia but NOT American

No idea of the workings of the K-1 visa, but this is exactly how the programme described the situation. 

http://www.allaboutthetea.com/2017/12/04/90-day-fiance-recap/

Edited by lamyai3

“Nikki reveals that Chris has been paying David to be his friend since 2009. Chris financially cuts David off, sharing the news under Nikki’s do-it-or-die glare. He offers Annie $10k to vamoose, but she turns him down. 

David leaves viewers hanging, when he reveals his employment plan, or lack thereof. Antonio pops in for a visit, and blasts David as an unapologetic drunk, and Annie as an alleged gold digger. Annie finally admits that if David stays broke, she’s out.”

http://www.allaboutthetea.com/2017/12/19/90dayfiance-season-5-tell-all/

Edited by Bluespunk

Meanwhile, in the real world -------------------------------------

You fill in the rest.

For me, it's that my dog has been cleared of ticks.

??

Don't people realise all this tat in the news is there to keep them occupied reading it so they don't pay any attention to real news, that's not openly broadcast until you look for it, and will actually have an effect on their lives and futures. It's just a different version of the Sun page 3.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, beachproperty said:

WOW!!!!.....Had I known:shock1:

But you said earlier that the friend had sponsored her (Wrong) and was on the hook for 10 years (wrong again)

From the link I posted which you apparently didn't bother to read:

"Nikki busts David in a lie about where the water buffalo cash came from, before Annie drops her own  bomb. Chris is co-sponsoring Annie’svisa process, and if David can no longer fulfill his deadbeat role, Chris will have to step in and take responsibility — for ten years"

Whether this is true or not I have no idea, but it's certainly the way the TV programme presented the facts. 

8 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

From the link I posted which you apparently didn't bother to read:

"Nikki busts David in a lie about where the water buffalo cash came from, before Annie drops her own  bomb. Chris is co-sponsoring Annie’svisa process, and if David can no longer fulfill his deadbeat role, Chris will have to step in and take responsibility — for ten years"

Whether this is true or not I have no idea, but it's certainly the way the TV programme presented the facts. 

And you believe everything you see on TV????:shock1:

Edited by beachproperty

6 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

And you believe everything you see on TV????:shock1:

Not sure why you're getting so jittery. I just made it quite clear that I have no idea if it's true. I'm quoting what the programme said, I have no interest whatsoever in whether they're twisting the facts or not. 

1 hour ago, beachproperty said:

But you said earlier that the friend had sponsored her (Wrong) and was on the hook for 10 years (wrong again)

When you get a K-1 visa, the applicant must meet certain financial requirements, (not much).   If the applicant can't meet the financial requirements, you can use a sponsor, who is equally financially responsible for ten years.

An affidavit of support is valid and enforceable against the sponsor until the person they sponsored either: 
• Becomes a U.S. citizen; or
• Is credited with 40 quarters of work in the United States (usually
10 years); or
• Leaves the United States permanently; or
• Dies.

https://my.uscis.gov/helpcenter/search?page=2&q=sponsor&tag=tag_search

My understanding of the affidavit of support stuff is the sponsor is potentially liable for repayment of the costs of government services the bride uses, not automatic support payments to the 'bride' for ten years.   (although I have heard this has been used incorrectly in divorce proceedings)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/254622-i-134-when-does-sponsors-resp-end/

I've been through this, after a Divorce from a K-1 bimbo, who had conditional green card status at the time of divorce.    She actually filed for divorce in nevada, after we separated and I was using the divorce procedure of my home state.  (Which meant we had to be separated for one year before filing for divorce.    At the time we separated she had an upcoming Adjustment of Status to get the 'permanent' green card.   I did not participate in filing the paperwork, and she could not submit for the AOS without me, unless she could prove or claim Abuse.  (which she could not)

She let her conditional green card expire after we divorced, and floated around the US 'out of status' for 5-6 months.

I had always promised her a one way ticket back to her home country, no questions asked.   

At the time we separated,  I offered her a ticket home, and one year of financial support at a level slightly higher than the money she was earning when we met, while we waited for the divorce in my home state.

This was not strictly being fair or generous, I was off the hook at the point she left the US.    (as far as the ten year liability crap goes)

I don't think under normal circumstances the sponsor is under much realistic threat of financial responsibility, but this 'TV' marriage would be looked at a little closer......I hope.

FWIW, the K-1 process is pretty sloppy,  and quite a few deadbeats of all types use the system,   US people, and foreign.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

There were allegations of her using David for a green card and of David being a cheater, deadbeat, and alcoholic.”

And immigration offices in Thailand have seen an increase in foreigners changing their reason for extension of stay from "retirement" to "Thai Wife".

I have no empirical evidence to back up this statement, it is pure conjecture. However a "friend" and netizen said so on Fbook. So it must be true.

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

Meanwhile, in the real world -------------------------------------

You fill in the rest.

For me, it's that my dog has been cleared of ticks.

??

Don't people realise all this tat in the news is there to keep them occupied reading it so they don't pay any attention to real news, that's not openly broadcast until you look for it, and will actually have an effect on their lives and futures. It's just a different version of the Sun page 3.

Yours too. Got the three month tablet from the vet. Looks like I need a new washing machine.  Have to replace some pvc piping later today. If only the surveyor would get off his a**e and finish his job so I can get the new fence done. Pretty ordinary stuff. I miss living in the "real" world.

14 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

American reality TV.  And people wonder how a conman could get elected President.

And he still thinks it's his show and therefore he can say anything he chooses.

And he still thinks he owns the camera...

15 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Someone always has to bring politics into it . Zzzz

Besides, it was scripted American TV (The Sopranos, 1999-2007) that brought us out of the stupid reality shows--which originally came from Holland with that egregious "Brother" show) and into the light, and soon TV fans from Commonwealth countries were worried they couldn't match The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Ray Donovan, Chance, and I could go on and on...and today it's the enthralling "The Handmaid's Tale."

1 hour ago, newatthis said:

Yours too. Got the three month tablet from the vet. Looks like I need a new washing machine.  Have to replace some pvc piping later today. If only the surveyor would get off his a**e and finish his job so I can get the new fence done. Pretty ordinary stuff. I miss living in the "real" world.

Don't forget to pick up the bread and milk when your out doing the chores, and rake the leaves.

1 hour ago, newatthis said:

Just bought new washing machine so now have to build a new concrete pad for it.