Clampdown on bad driving made roads safer: NCPO

snoop1130

By The Nation

499de0c91102882f69249010f1f98e81.jpeg

File photo

The number of people cited for violating traffic laws spiked over this year’s holiday season, but the arrest if the law-breakers made the roads safer, said the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) on Thursday.

NCPO spokesperson Col Sirichan Ngathong said the road accident prevention measures for the New Year period resulted in officers nabbing dangerous drivers and traffic law violators for a total of 300,365 infractions – higher than last year’s apprehensions. 

The higher arrest rate contributed to drivers adjusting their behaviours as it encouraged them to be more careful and respect traffic laws when behind the wheel.

She noted the operation resulted in 245,356 people prosecuted for driving dangerously, 141,327 of which were motorcycles riders with the remainder 104,209 car drivers.

The officers temporarily seized 6,326 vehicles – 4,823 motorcycles and 1,503 cars. A total 38,190 driving licences were also confiscated.

Sirichan said all seized vehicles have been properly stored and some drivers have already contacted officers to collect them. If the vehicle owners were involved in a lawsuit, they would have to wait until the case is concluded to get their vehicles back, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30335413

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-1-4

Hmm, 'the roads were safer' is it? While over 400 persons (declared dead on the spot of the accident) lost their life on the roads in one week time...

Has a former representative of the North Korean state press agency been hired to run the communication?

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I just saw a headline that they'd counted 375 dead in 6 days = 62.5 per day, which = 22,812 a year at that rate.

Isn't this just about par for the course?

Over 400 killed and a 50% increase in drunk drivers- hardly safer but there will be plenty of backslapping and self-congratulation as the carnage continues. Probation as a reward (sorry- punishment)- it's a disgrace

Oh hang on- it doesn't count now as the 'campaign ' is over, does it?

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A total 38,190 driving licences were also confiscated.

Don't expect those people will take the buss for all future time. They will probably be forced to watch a movie about road safety and then they'll have their licence back.

This BS propaganda is the same as some dick saying:

"500 murders were committed last year, and we arrested 1000 people for assault. This year there were 1000 murders committed, but we arrested 5000 people for assault, so the world is a safer place.":saai:

Edited by SABloke

The number of people cited for violating traffic laws spiked over this year’s holiday season, but the arrest if the law-breakers made the roads safer,

The numbers have decreased?  But the grammar is worse  " but the arrest if the law-breakers made the roads safer"???????????????????????????

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The higher arrest rate contributed to drivers adjusting their behaviours as it encouraged them to be more careful and respect traffic laws when behind the wheel.

A little premature conclusion isn't it as it remains to be seen whether the higher arrest rate does lead to future compliance, ie., in 2018?

If the government was actually serious and not just trying to appease foreign media, the "clampdown" would become the norm...and they can reduce fatalities, so maybe a RTP foot shooting event....but we won't see hoards of cops on the roads now....until Songkram!

15 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

Those are impressive numbers, but I 'm wondering if it's true? I still see a lot of bad and dangerous driving on the roads.

:cheesy::cheesy: Ok  Well i saw 2 cars going down the wrong side of the road before Message must of not got through to them

15 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

Those are impressive numbers, but I 'm wondering if it's true? I still see a lot of bad and dangerous driving on the roads.

I live near a main road: 24/7 I hear screeching tires, speeding (esp. at night), and no traffic cops in sight (at any time of day)... No change so far; certainly not to the better!

14 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I just saw a headline that they'd counted 375 dead in 6 days = 62.5 per day, which = 22,812 a year at that rate.

Isn't this just about par for the course?

Apparently.... but not the same same.

Thai reports stand at 60 per day average deaths over the NY (2017/18)

Thai reports stand at 27 per day average over the year (2016)

international agencies report 67 per day average over that year (2016)

so..... arguably, at that rate of proportional reporting, the international agencies may return with a number as high as 120plus per day over the NY (holiday road deaths are more than 2X normal rate)

the NCPO has very little to be proud of, as road deaths and incidents are increasing under their reign..... shameful shameful rice scheme... someone should be prosecuted for this failure.