Avoiding BKK Pattaya - Chiang Mai - Pattaya

OneZero

Going North , I wouldn't take the 11 untill Phitsanulok . 117 is better but not much to see. Highway 1 gets worse on the left lane going to Kamphaeng Phet and further . Don't do the ringway around Nakhon Sawan ( quite the detour and nothing to see , going through the city is easy).

If you don't want to do siteseeing , driving by night is better , less trafic and no aweful heat especially coming back from the north .

Finally someone that agrees on the benefits of driving during the night...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But check the user name - and your user photo.  Are they trying to tell us something?:smile:

I’ve already stated it’s not for everyone, if you’re not confident enough to do so, then don’t - simple enough, no?

As for the avatar, i think we’d all admit to being a little crazy to live here otherwise we’d be all remain in the boring rat race of our home countries.

2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Going North , I wouldn't take the 11 untill Phitsanulok . 117 is better but not much to see. Highway 1 gets worse on the left lane going to Kamphaeng Phet and further . Don't do the ringway around Nakhon Sawan ( quite the detour and nothing to see , going through the city is easy).

If you don't want to do siteseeing , driving by night is better , less trafic and no aweful heat especially coming back from the north .

Yes OP go through the town N/Sawan and put on at least another 20 minutes travel time, full of traffic lights and traffic. Great suggestion.

Also what are you doing going through Phitso rubbish roads/traffic and will also put at least 1/2 hours on your journey time.

I would like to ask has anyone done that trip to C/M. Or are you just using guess work???

The 1 road to K/P/Phet is fine now they have been sorting it for the last several months. Although not finished it's miles better than it was. For your information the roads are good all the way to C/M they have all been widened and resurfaced in the last year or so. Nakon Sawan is the only dodgy bit but only last a few KM.

Suggest you draw a line from BKK to C/M you will all see the 1/32 is the only way to go. Next we'll hear that you should go via Isan.

Edited by fredob43

My last post.

Use all the other suggesting on TV if you want. But please let me reiterate the only way to go.

7 from Patts then 9 then 32/1 north via Ayutthaya. Ang Tong, Lop Buri, Uthai Thani, The 32 is mainly 3/4 lane duel carriageway. Taking the bypass past N/Sawan, then on to K.P.Phet, Tak, then on to Lampang, thought the mountains to C/M. After N/Sawan it's 2/3 lane duel carriageway. 

All the roads are in good condition except for around N/Sawan. Only last a few KM then back to the good stuff. There are plenty of places to stop for food that's till you get to Tak, after that their a bit thin on the ground.

Should take around 10 hours without a stop traffic permitting. Suggest that once you get to K.P.Phet see how you feel as it's another 4 hours? to C/Mai. Stopping overnight in K.P.Phet might be a good idea.

Re the night travel please don't, someone said that the crazy M/C Cars are not on the roads after 8/9pm I can assure you they are still plodding about without lights well into the early hours in fact even worse. Not going down the lorry route as that's when they always travel.

Best of luck with your trip. Let us know how you get on as it helps everyone.

Tip if you leave around 6am you might just make it in daylight time.

Edited by fredob43

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Should take around 10 hours without a stop traffic permitting. Suggest that once you get to K.P.Phet see how you feel as it's another 4 hours? to C/Mai. Stopping overnight in K.P.Phet might be a good idea.

Re the night travel please don't, someone said that the crazy M/C Cars are not on the roads after 8/9pm I can assure you they are still plodding about without lights well into the early hours in fact even worse. Not going down the lorry route as that's when they always travel.

As the OP seems to be the sole driver, I would also recommend to make a stopover in Kamphaeng Phet (I always do).

After passing the typical traffic jams around Bangkok, one should not underestimate the lorry traffic between Ayutthaya and Kamphaeng Phet at night and be cautious for some "stunts" at the next u-turn.

IMHO the 32 / 1  at night is only for those drivers, who have already earned their merits in driving at night in LOS (even worse, when it's raining).

23 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

As the OP seems to be the sole driver, I would also recommend to make a stopover in Kamphaeng Phet (I always do).

After passing the typical traffic jams around Bangkok, one should not underestimate the lorry traffic between Ayutthaya and Kamphaeng Phet at night and be cautious for some "stunts" at the next u-turn.

IMHO the 32 / 1  at night is only for those drivers, who have already earned their merits in driving at night in LOS (even worse, when it's raining).

Agree totally. I have done that trip once at night from K.P.Phet to Patts and I can tell you it's hell. Wouldn't have attempted it without Xeon lights.

Fine during the day though.

If the OP decides to stop in K.P.Phet there are several places to stay and eat. From 300bt a night without Breakfast to around 1.800bt with the full works.

Food wise Western/Thai take your pick. I can recommend several places for both.

I used to do Patts to K.P.Phet in under 4 hours leaving early 5am but that was well before the Cameras now it's around 6 hours with a short stop for food & coffee. If you add the next 4 hours to C/M your going to be buggered. That's if you get there at all.

5 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Yes OP go through the town N/Sawan and put on at least another 20 minutes travel time, full of traffic lights and traffic. Great suggestion.

Also what are you doing going through Phitso rubbish roads/traffic and will also put at least 1/2 hours on your journey time.

I would like to ask has anyone done that trip to C/M. Or are you just using guess work???

The 1 road to K/P/Phet is fine now they have been sorting it for the last several months. Although not finished it's miles better than it was. For your information the roads are good all the way to C/M they have all been widened and resurfaced in the last year or so. Nakon Sawan is the only dodgy bit but only last a few KM.

Suggest you draw a line from BKK to C/M you will all see the 1/32 is the only way to go. Next we'll hear that you should go via Isan.

I have no problem going through Nakhon Sawan city , outside the evening rush hour. ( and it a good place to stop too) .

Where does it say I recommend going through Phitsanulok city ? The bypass is long too , I go through the city though , you can stop at Big C or Lotus on the way . Up to you , it's not Bangkok , so it's easy the find your way. But if you're not into driving in provincial cities >> take the bypass.

OP can take the 2 routes , the 1 or 117/11. I prefer the 117/11. ( although the 117 has been damaged by heavy traffic too).

I did the part of the trip that I wrote about in june.:tongue: And have done It many times before. If you like driving in the right lane on the 1 , then take the Highway 1 . The newer 11 from Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai is more fun .

The road via the 117/11 isn't much longer than the 1 , and is flatter too.  So try both ways and make up your own mind .

7 hours ago, BuaBS said:

I have no problem going through Nakhon Sawan city , outside the evening rush hour. ( and it a good place to stop too) .

Where does it say I recommend going through Phitsanulok city ? The bypass is long too , I go through the city though , you can stop at Big C or Lotus on the way . Up to you , it's not Bangkok , so it's easy the find your way. But if you're not into driving in provincial cities >> take the bypass.

OP can take the 2 routes , the 1 or 117/11. I prefer the 117/11. ( although the 117 has been damaged by heavy traffic too).

I did the part of the trip that I wrote about in june.:tongue: And have done It many times before. If you like driving in the right lane on the 1 , then take the Highway 1 . The newer 11 from Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai is more fun .

The road via the 117/11 isn't much longer than the 1 , and is flatter too.  So try both ways and make up your own mind .

I live in K.P.Phet so know the district very well. I did my last trip from Patts Via BKK 3 weeks ago. Didn't go through N/Sawan town, used the Bypass missing out the several sets of traffic lights and it's all day Traffic problems.

Must admit if you want to stop off and go shopping fine but the OP wanted to get to C/M I assumed without detours. By using the 117/11 you will also go into Pitso you will miss part of the main town but you will still have bundles of T/Lights to contend with along with the Pitso traffic.

I assume you would go to Den Chai then on to Lampang sorry but it's a slow route compared to the 1. Adding in my estimation at least 1.1/2 hours overall to the journey. It's a long trip going the quickest way let alone adding yet more time.

Also did the 117 Phitso to N/Sawan road just before I went to Patts and it's the pit's condition wise. Pot holes everywhere. You'll need a 4x4 as well as travel slowly.

By using the new bypass the full way to the 117 will say it's not that short, but what I suggested was the first bit till you hit the 1 some 13km, turn left and your off. That misses out N/Sawan and all it's problems, not forgetting Phitso.    

I live in K.P.Phet so know the district very well. I did my last trip from Patts Via BKK 3 weeks ago. Didn't go through N/Sawan town, used the Bypass missing out the several sets of traffic lights and it's all day Traffic problems.

Must admit if you want to stop off and go shopping fine but the OP wanted to get to C/M I assumed without detours. By using the 117/11 you will also go into Pitso you will miss part of the main town but you will still have bundles of T/Lights to contend with along with the Pitso traffic.

I assume you would go to Den Chai then on to Lampang sorry but it's a slow route compared to the 1. Adding in my estimation at least 1.1/2 hours overall to the journey. It's a long trip going the quickest way let alone adding yet more time.

Also did the 117 Phitso to N/Sawan road just before I went to Patts and it's the pit's condition wise. Pot holes everywhere. You'll need a 4x4 as well as travel slowly.

By using the new bypass the full way to the 117 will say it's not that short, but what I suggested was the first bit till you hit the 1 some 13km, turn left and your off. That misses out N/Sawan and all it's problems, not forgetting Phitso.    

You’ve posted twice since you said “this is my last post”

Btw - this is my last post

8 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Re-reading the OP's post : He never says it has to be the shortest or quickest way to get from Pattaya to Chiang Mai. He just wanted to bypass Bangkok , nothing said of provincial towns.

So what if there are some more traffic lights ?

Phitsanulok to Lampang is great driving , so what if it's maybe a bit longer ?

Does Highway 1 not have potholes , or badly filled up as usual here in Thailand ?

He can do both ways and up to him to see the cities a bit or the longer bypassroads with nothing to see.

On 1/7/2018 at 11:52 AM, fredob43 said:

My last post.

Use all the other suggesting on TV if you want. But please let me reiterate the only way to go.

7 from Patts then 9 then 32/1 north via Ayutthaya. Ang Tong, Lop Buri, Uthai Thani, The 32 is mainly 3/4 lane duel carriageway. Taking the bypass past N/Sawan, then on to K.P.Phet, Tak, then on to Lampang, thought the mountains to C/M. After N/Sawan it's 2/3 lane duel carriageway. 

All the roads are in good condition except for around N/Sawan. Only last a few KM then back to the good stuff. There are plenty of places to stop for food that's till you get to Tak, after that their a bit thin on the ground.

Best of luck with your trip. Let us know how you get on as it helps everyone.

Tip if you leave around 6am you might just make it in daylight time.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  To clarify my needs.  I am not sight seeing.  I want to make the trips in the quickest way possible (safely without speeding). I own condos in Jomtien & CM (primary residence) & while in Jomtien I bought a car which I'm taking back to CM.  In March my wife & our 6 cats (in plastic travel enclosures of course) will return to Jomtien in the car.  We will be in Jomtien 2-3 months before returning CM.  I doubt a motel would tolerate 6 cats so we desire the shortest route that is still safe, since it will be a long trip.

Fredob43: From all that that I've read so far I'm leaning toward taking your advice above. Taking route 32 north via Ayuttaya & the route 1 the rest of the way (vs the Saraburi route 1 connecting to route 11 to CM).  My thoughts are based upon your advice that the route 11 route could add another 1.0 to 1.5 hour to the total trip.  I don't want to lengthen the trip without good reason.

Question 1: Do others agree that this advice is sound / my logic sound? 

Question 2 (based upon view of google maps).  Where route 9 (north) meets route 1, I will have to turn sw (sw) for a short stretch prior to heading north on 32 (via Ayuttaya).  That intersection / transition from route 1 sw (sw) to route 32 north looks like a confusing maze on google maps.  As someone else already noted, one could easily end up heading back into Bangkok.  Any helpful hints about that transition? 

Edit: correctly label that short stretch on rt 1 as being in a sw direction.

Edited by OneZero
correctly label directions

You are heading back into Bangkok but keep following the signs to Ring Road 9 (which runs on West side of Bangkok but just before you get on that highway (as you a crossing Highway 1) you will see another left fork to Bang Pa-In - Ayutthaya - Nakhon Sawan (32) which is what you want to get on and then it is stay on it.  Below is sign to watch for.  Just keep in the left lanes and heading to route 9 until you see it.

https://goo.gl/maps/C53rBrWGE442

53 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Thank you all for your suggestions.  To clarify my needs.  I am not sight seeing.  I want to make the trips in the quickest way possible (safely without speeding). I own condos in Jomtien & CM (primary residence) & while in Jomtien I bought a car which I'm taking back to CM.  In March my wife & our 6 cats (in plastic travel enclosures of course) will return to Jomtien in the car.  We will be in Jomtien 2-3 months before returning CM.  I doubt a motel would tolerate 6 cats so we desire the shortest route that is still safe, since it will be a long trip.

Fredob43: From all that that I've read so far I'm leaning toward taking your advice above. Taking route 32 north via Ayuttaya & the route 1 the rest of the way (vs the Saraburi route 1 connecting to route 11 to CM).  My thoughts are based upon your advice that the route 11 route could add another 1.0 to 1.5 hour to the total trip.  I don't want to lengthen the trip without good reason.

Question 1: Do others agree that this advice is sound / my logic sound? 

Question 2 (based upon view of google maps).  Where route 9 (north) meets route 1, I will have to turn sw (sw) for a short stretch prior to heading north on 32 (via Ayuttaya).  That intersection / transition from route 1 sw (sw) to route 32 north looks like a confusing maze on google maps.  As someone else already noted, one could easily end up heading back into Bangkok.  Any helpful hints about that transition? 

Edit: correctly label that short stretch on rt 1 as being in a sw direction.

Ok Yet another post.

I was in Phitso this morning joined the 117 from the 115 K.P.Phet road. All was good till I got to the 12 Airport turn off then I hit it 6 sets of traffic lights with the usual hoards of Traffic.

From the 12 to the 11 it took me well over 35min to go the few KM. Please allow me to alter my 1.1/2 hours longer I now estimate 2 hours. That's not allowing for the N/Sawan bit.

For the 9 exit please follow Lop Buri post just remember to follow the signs and keep LEFT or as I said before you will end up going into BKK and it'll be around 15km before you can use the U turn Back. It's easy as long as you take care.

There are places that you can stay with Cats in K.P.Phet. Most will just give you a key and leave it up to you to unload. Around 300bt for the night.

Just a thought we have now 6 kittens all strays and from the same family they have been vaccinated and are free to anyone who wants them will also supply a box to help get them on their way.

N/B they are also house trained. Might go well with the 6 you already have. Just a thought.

Am going to C/Mai from K.P.Phet on Monday will report if there is any problem road wise. Please allow a few days for reply on that, will be back Friday.

Edited by fredob43

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

You are heading back into Bangkok but keep following the signs to Ring Road 9 (which runs on West side of Bangkok but just before you get on that highway (as you a crossing Highway 1) you will see another left fork to Bang Pa-In - Ayutthaya - Nakhon Sawan (32) which is what you want to get on and then it is stay on it.  Below is sign to watch for.  Just keep in the left lanes and heading to route 9 until you see it.

https://goo.gl/maps/C53rBrWGE442

The snap is fine. Would like to ask what time of day it was taken, as I have never seen it so quiet. Normally packed with lorries and cars.

7 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The snap is fine. Would like to ask what time of day it was taken, as I have never seen it so quiet. Normally packed with lorries and cars.

Can only say October 2016 as Google reports.  And agree normally a lot of traffic (and I remember when highway 1 was one lane each way ).

summerof69-pic.png

Fredob 43,

Our 6 cats were all strays at one time too; but they are family now.  Sorry, can't take any more in our condo.  Hope you can find them good homes if you can't keep them.  Easy to get attached to them, as it's easy for them to get attached to you. 

Ref your following advice, quote: "There are places that you can stay with Cats in K.P.Phet. Most will just give you a key and leave it up to you to unload. Around 300bt for the night."

Are you aware of this just in general, or do you have some specific K,P.Phet place names / locations that we could try to check out?    Such a stay overnight would be helpful.   Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Cats are lovely only problem is they don't like me they run away and hide. Love the wife and daughter I think because they feed them I just pay for the food. Whatever they go well with the stray dog and the stray talking Mynah bird they also cost me monies for food and a large cage.

At least the dog likes me thank Buddha. But the Mynah bird bites me if it can.  

You could always get a bigger condo and have the lot well not the dog. Hours of fun.

I can recommend two places. One a few hundred MT off H/W 1 on the 115 and 1 just off. Will look up names prices and Phone No: tomorrow. Might if I don't get run over put a snap of them in. Neither are 5* but would suit for one or two nights.

Can also recommend places to eat. Either Thai or western.

The latter if you decide to stay the night. We can Cat sit but that costs Western prices. Got to get my food monies back some how. 

50 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Can only say October 2016 as Google reports.  And agree normally a lot of traffic (and I remember when highway 1 was one lane each way ).

summerof69-pic.png

I'm much to young !!! to remember that but I remember it when it had small bridges over the clongs. Lovely if you went a bit rapid as you would take off.

I'm much to young !!! to remember that but I remember it when it had small bridges over the clongs. Lovely if you went a bit rapid as you would take off.

The Asia Highway opened in 1969 and had those type bridges over the rivers and they were death traps as very narrow 2 lanes with high walls and very high arch so you could not see anything coming from other direction and as this was unlimited speedway (you paid to use after all) there was passing taking place everywhere.  At least weekly hi-speed head on crashes. 

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The Asia Highway opened in 1969 and had those type bridges over the rivers and they were death traps as very narrow 2 lanes with high walls and very high arch so you could not see anything coming from other direction and as this was unlimited speedway (you paid to use after all) there was passing taking place everywhere.  At least weekly hi-speed head on crashes. 

As luck would have it I was in a hire car when I first did the trip. Sorry to say I don't think there was much left of the exhaust after it. Good fun all the same.

I have been doing the trip between CM and Pattaya several times. Always trust my google map navigation . I start early in the morning around 7 AM and I will reach Pattaya/CM within 11 hours, with normal traffic .  The roads are good most of the way , but no time to relax or get tired because of the big trucks that will keep you awake when they do something stupid.... 

I think I need around 4 stops and at least a 15 minute break each time , I always bring my own coffee since the coffee served along the road is normally of the worst kind. And yes that includes Amazon coffee, 

17 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Cats are lovely only problem is they don't like me they run away and hide. Love the wife and daughter I think because they feed them I just pay for the food. Whatever they go well with the stray dog and the stray talking Mynah bird they also cost me monies for food and a large cage.

At least the dog likes me thank Buddha. But the Mynah bird bites me if it can.  

You could always get a bigger condo and have the lot well not the dog. Hours of fun.

I can recommend two places. One a few hundred MT off H/W 1 on the 115 and 1 just off. Will look up names prices and Phone No: tomorrow. Might if I don't get run over put a snap of them in. Neither are 5* but would suit for one or two nights.

Can also recommend places to eat. Either Thai or western.

The latter if you decide to stay the night. We can Cat sit but that costs Western prices. Got to get my food monies back some how. 

O/Z as promised snap of Hotels. Well they are more like Motels. You check in get your Key and then go to your respected room and unload. Provided you have a cat litter box and clear up after you you shouldn't have a problem. Sorry but was a tad amiss on Price they are now in the upper 300 whatever cheap as chips for a good nights sleep with Air Con.

If you do decide to stay can recommend eating places. From Patts it'll take you around 6hours to K.P.Phet that's depending on stops.

If you want to do another 4+ hours that's up to you.

First snap is the one 300mt on left as you go down the 115 from AH 1 the other one is a bit further on but you will need directions for that. No need to book you can phone them on your way up.

If you click on the snaps twice they should come up clearer.

IMGP0007.JPG

IMGP0006.JPG

Edited by fredob43

O/Z as promised snap of Hotels. Well they are more like Motels. You check in get your Key and then go to your respected room and unload. Provided you have a cat litter box and clear up after you you shouldn't have a problem. Sorry but was a tad amiss on Price they are now in the upper 300 whatever cheap as chips for a good nights sleep with Air Con.

If you do decide to stay can recommend eating places. From Patts it'll take you around 6hours to K.P.Phet that's depending on stops.

If you want to do another 4+ hours that's up to you.

First snap is the one 300mt on left as you go down the 115 from AH 1 the other one is a bit further on but you will need directions for that. No need to book you can phone them on your way up.

If you click on the snaps twice they should come up clearer.

IMGP0007.JPG

IMGP0006.JPG

Just to clarify that is highway 112 that leads to 115 according to Google Maps that Marlin Resort is on.

https://goo.gl/maps/qdPe621btv12

https://goo.gl/maps/s9t5ytCCcRt

https://goo.gl/maps/KvJUvUsfjDF2

Edited by lopburi3

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Just to clarify that is highway 112 that leads to 115 according to Google Maps that Marlin Resort is on.

That's a maybe but if your coming up the AH 1 it says turn right for Phitchit on the 115. The signs are all over the place, I just go by what they say. TIT. 

So it's called the Marlin resort well I never haven't stayed there as I only live round to corner some 300mt by the UNI.  

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Have just had another look and it doesn't say 112 on any of the road signs. As I came off the 115 from Pitso it said 115 to BKK. Wish they would make up their minds. Whatever Google is more than right correct. It is the correct road though. And better snaps than mine. Only hope that it makes my place look better than it is.

The 112/115 is at present being resurfaced but should be fine by the time OP might use it.

Fredob43 & Lopburi3,

I cannot thank each of you guys enough for the helpful advice.  You are life savers.  When I initially generated this thread I never anticipated I would get advice as helpful as each of you have provided. You have corrected errors in my initial plans, clarified the routes with directions and pictures (I surely would have ended up heading back into Bkk in that Hwy 9 to AH1 transition maze) and you have suggested a motel style place to stay with our cats.  Once again, thank you both.