Avoiding BKK Pattaya - Chiang Mai - Pattaya

OneZero

4 hours ago, OneZero said:

Fredob43 & Lopburi3,

I cannot thank each of you guys enough for the helpful advice.  You are life savers.  When I initially generated this thread I never anticipated I would get advice as helpful as each of you have provided. You have corrected errors in my initial plans, clarified the routes with directions and pictures (I surely would have ended up heading back into Bkk in that Hwy 9 to AH1 transition maze) and you have suggested a motel style place to stay with our cats.  Once again, thank you both.

I'm sure I speak for L/B3 as well.

Your very welcome. But you haven't got off the end of the 9 yet. Two trips ago I went into BKK but that was on the way back, so even us we know it all peeps make mistakes.

I shall as stated be going to C/M on Monday will report back after the 19th on road conditions both ways.

If you can let me have your address there I pop the bill for the both of us in your letter box.

Have a good trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:34 AM, fredob43 said:

I'm sure I speak for L/B3 as well.

Your very welcome. But you haven't got off the end of the 9 yet. Two trips ago I went into BKK but that was on the way back, so even us we know it all peeps make mistakes.

I shall as stated be going to C/M on Monday will report back after the 19th on road conditions both ways.

If you can let me have your address there I pop the bill for the both of us in your letter box.

Have a good trip.

Just arrived back from trip K.P.Phet to C/Mai. Pleased to report all the roads are clear and in top condition both ways. Only hold ups are on the way back 4 police checks. Other than those nothing. Took 4 hours 45 min: up 4Hours 15 min: back. I left C/Mai early 6.30am little or no traffic.

Just remember that once you get to Ayuttaya on the way back to Patts keep left, (right and you'll end up going into BKK) your looking for the sign Saraburi then just follow the Blue airport signs (they will come up about 500km on that road) turn off left about 1.5km onto the 9.

Have a good trip.

Edited by fredob43

Fredob43, thanks for this hint. I went to google maps to confirm your advice.  This is past Muang Ayuttaya, where 32 meets / merges onto 1 for a very short NE stint before 1 in turn weets / merges on to 9 heading south. (The Saraburi sign is because 1 continues NE to Saraburi if you did not then in turn merge south on to 9).  So I got it, keep left for both of those merges and look for blue airport signs leading to 9 (from 1 on to 9 south is a flyover) .

My trip from Jomtien to Chiang Mai went exceedingly well, thanks to you & Lopburi3.  820Km in 11.5 hrs to include a small diversion to check out Marlin Resort in Kampaengphet (KPP). Marlin resort is well worth the 380 Baht for a clean aircon room motel style.   By myself I wasn't tired (it was only noon, I left Jomtien 0600), but when with wife & cats I'm quite sure we'll stay there.

Speed limits were 120 km/hr  on the motorway toll roads (7 and 9) and 90 KM/hr remainder (dropping a bit near Lampuhn). It was hard not to want to exceed the speed limit on the good roads, and per your advice I was doing 105 in the 90 zones (hope no camera tickets). 

Lampang to Chiang Mai was not quite as nice for several reasons, slightly twisting road in mountains for a stretch and some parts a bit bumpy with patches.  Near Lamphun & on into Chiang Mai it really slowed down with road construction / equipment and associated traffic congestion, workers and dust.  But by then it was just a relatively few more Km to CM. 

Overall a good trip with your help. Thanks again.

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:08 AM, OneZero said:

Fredob43, thanks for this hint. I went to google maps to confirm your advice.  This is past Muang Ayuttaya, where 32 meets / merges onto 1 for a very short NE stint before 1 in turn weets / merges on to 9 heading south. (The Saraburi sign is because 1 continues NE to Saraburi if you did not then in turn merge south on to 9).  So I got it, keep left for both of those merges and look for blue airport signs leading to 9 (from 1 on to 9 south is a flyover) .

My trip from Jomtien to Chiang Mai went exceedingly well, thanks to you & Lopburi3.  820Km in 11.5 hrs to include a small diversion to check out Marlin Resort in Kampaengphet (KPP). Marlin resort is well worth the 380 Baht for a clean aircon room motel style.   By myself I wasn't tired (it was only noon, I left Jomtien 0600), but when with wife & cats I'm quite sure we'll stay there.

Speed limits were 120 km/hr  on the motorway toll roads (7 and 9) and 90 KM/hr remainder (dropping a bit near Lampuhn). It was hard not to want to exceed the speed limit on the good roads, and per your advice I was doing 105 in the 90 zones (hope no camera tickets). 

Lampang to Chiang Mai was not quite as nice for several reasons, slightly twisting road in mountains for a stretch and some parts a bit bumpy with patches.  Near Lamphun & on into Chiang Mai it really slowed down with road construction / equipment and associated traffic congestion, workers and dust.  But by then it was just a relatively few more Km to CM. 

Overall a good trip with your help. Thanks again.

Glad you had a good trip. If you ever decide to stop in K.P.Phet PM me or use this page, and I'll direct you to some good restaurants, either Western or Thai. Both on the doorstep of the Marlin resort.

I’m traveling from Bang Pa-In to Chiang Mai tomorrow and stopping off in Lat Yao ( gf’s hometown) for a short while and then continuing on to stop the night in KM. So will take advantage of the advice given and make a stop at the Marlin Resort.

I come off the highway 32 and go to Lat Yao via Uthai Thani/Thap Than rather than going through Nakhon Sawan, it’s roughly the same distance and takes the same time ( give or take 2 minutes/2 km’s) . But it’s a nicer route via UT and less stressful than NS city.

25 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I’m traveling from Bang Pa-In to Chiang Mai tomorrow and stopping off in Lat Yao ( gf’s hometown) for a short while and then continuing on to stop the night in KM. So will take advantage of the advice given and make a stop at the Marlin Resort.

I come off the highway 32 and go to Lat Yao via Uthai Thani/Thap Than rather than going through Nakhon Sawan, it’s roughly the same distance and takes the same time ( give or take 2 minutes/2 km’s) . But it’s a nicer route via UT and less stressful than NS city.

If you want Restaurant direction let me know............ If Thai food is ok travel past Marlin Resort from 1/32 at Traffic lights turn right, left at T junction follow the road some 300mt as it turns sharp right Restaurant on the left. Full menu after 6pm. Tip get a table upstairs overlooking the Ping river, they have a band so will be quieter.  

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If that is Pao Pak Cham Kala Noodles restaurant it is not open during the day on Monday per Google - opens at 5 PM.  Other days open 9 AM.

https://goo.gl/maps/ys7QTskmhv52

Sells Noodles day time. That's why I said full menu (No Noodles) after 6pm. Sorry not to sure of name we just refer to it as noodle daytime Restaurant. Whatever the full menu is very good. Have just looked at your Google map and it's the correct one although it's a rubbish snap. As you would see if you tried it.

Edited by fredob43

In that case Google has it wrong as they clearly state it is now closed and only opens at 5 PM today.  FYI they have over 200 photos if you want to view them (have to use Google Maps and click on it there) - indeed seems like a good choice.

Monday
5–11:30PM

Tuesday
9AM–11:30PM

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Edited by lopburi3

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In that case Google has it wrong as they clearly state it is now closed and only opens at 5 PM today.  FYI they have over 200 photos if you want to view them (have to use Google Maps and click on it there) - indeed seems like a good choice.

Have just done same and some of the snaps are OK giving a better picture. It's just that the one on the heading is pore. I suggested that restaurant because it's close to Marlin. Assuming that they would want to eat night time. If they wanted to eat cheap also at night just go to the T/Lights and there are 2/3 restaurants always packed with students. Cheap as chips that's if you can get a seat.

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Have just done same and some of the snaps are OK giving a better picture. It's just that the one on the heading is pore. I suggested that restaurant because it's close to Marlin. Assuming that they would want to eat night time. If they wanted to eat cheap also at night just go to the T/Lights and there are 2/3 restaurants always packed with students. Cheap as chips that's if you can get a seat.

That would be the road view shot taken a few years ago I suspect - they often are out of date as they do not return that often for photos of every road.  The overhead view is much more current but can not see much from that other than building size.  It seems to be a very highly rated restaurant with a lot of reviews from happy eaters.

FYI:  your directions were easy to follow and led directly to it - even if I was not actually there to drive it.  

24 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That would be the road view shot taken a few years ago I suspect - they often are out of date as they do not return that often for photos of every road.  The overhead view is much more current but can not see much from that other than building size.  It seems to be a very highly rated restaurant with a lot of reviews from happy eaters.

FYI:  your directions were easy to follow and led directly to it - even if I was not actually there to drive it.  

Correct most of Google snaps are out of date. Restaurant front looks nothing like those now.

Thank you for your nice words about my directions. Then again I shouldn't have got it incorrect as I only live a few hundred Mt from those T/Lights. Note to self see if google maps has my house on them. 

Edited by fredob43

12 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Correct most of Google snaps are out of date. Restaurant front looks nothing like those now.

Thank you for your nice words about my directions. Then again I shouldn't have got it incorrect as I only live a few hundred Mt from those T/Lights. Note to self see if google maps has my house on them. 

Have just looked at Google snap of my house, and it's there, although taken 4 years ago. Says that it's in a non named road. Funny that as it's been Moo 1 for the last 12 years.

Have also looked at another snap of district and it's so out of date I didn't recognise it.

Edited by fredob43

Found the Marlin real easy, thanks Fred ( and Google maps ).

380 baht is excellent value IMO ( 480 baht for a double bed as opposed to 2 singles) , don’t think I’ve paid less than 500 before !!

Plus, free breakfast and free wi-fi.

Took a wander round the Historical Park, it’s okay but not really a patch on Ayutthaya or Sukothai but still nice to wander around.

IMG_4527.JPG.2e09fb5fa440029609753cc4325361af.JPG

Decided to skip the restaurant and ordered room service, Khao Pad Kung 60 baht, pretty good.