piles of rubbish.

johnmcc6

Just had a long tuk tuk trip able to have a good look around the city. Many vacant lots are full of rubbish ,overgrown and all up just eye sores. Back home one would get a nice letter from the city saying to the owner, clean it up or we will do it for you and send you the bill. Why can't this work here? So simple to make it work. People just don't care I guess.

If the rubbish is not actually in their beds the average Thai just does not see it. Also, given the lack of public recycling sites for larger items a vacant lot is the ideal place to dump that old bed/ wardrobe/ toilet etc.

It's when they start dumping the rubbish in your garden that you need to start worrying!!

I don't like the mattresses but do like the overgrown weedy look.  Far, far better than a swell concrete hotel and parking lot.  Since i live near the new HOP INN i can attest to the huge loss of big trees, banana bushes, birds, snakes and spiders and resultant massive ugliness that hotel brings to the neighborhood.

Solid waste control badly lacking here in T'land but soon in the city, nature will be lacking too.

Plastic bags of rubbish are left on roads and vacant lots all over the province.By the time the soi dogs have rummaged through them they are no longer bagged but spread and small sized pices never picked up.

Never understood why CM has not built a large re cycling plant out of town as it could create revenue, employment and a cleaner environment.

the City fathers are sadly still living in the dark ages.

As is stands there are re cycling operators in the most inappropriate places, the one on Hang Dong Rd shortly before Airport Plaza comes to mind a total eyesore spilling out onto the footpath.

As I understand it most of the trash in CM that is collected goes to a site in Hot it must be an actual mountain.

I read some time ago countries like Belgium re cycle more than 95 % of its refuse.The figure for CM wouldnt even be in double digits.

If it wasnt for the "Trash Hero" groups,one of which operates in inner CM, it would be even worse

Most of Thailand is getting dirtier every year. They can’t cope, bad management, surely it’s not a lack of funds with all the tourists? The soi s stink to high heaven, garbage everywhere, proms ruined ! Filthy. World Class, definately not. 

17 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Where are there vacant lots in the city?

There is one just opposite the Nana BTS that has been vacant since I first came here in 1993. It must be worth billions and it would be an ideal place to build a shopping mall, hotel or a condomimium as BKK is somewhat short of those types of buildings and they desperately need more of them.

In line with the sentiment contained in post #2, there is a Thai mentality that believes unless they are smacked in the face by a two by four, it isn’t their business. And so it is with piles of garbage until they are thrown  in their own front yard. Beyond this human and cultural failing, the problem needs to be resolved through much improved urban planning that to date simply doesn’t rank high enough to make the necessary difference. Another way of saying this is that bridges, underpasses and buildings are immensely profitable for local politicians, public officials and contractors....trash control isn’t and probably never will be. 

A business located opposite my place closed and left a huge pile of stuff that the garbage collectors would not pick up. Being on a tourist visa at the time, I called the tourist police. A guy came out and took pictures. Three days later a city crew came by and cleaned it all up. I was impressed.

23 hours ago, davehowden said:

If the rubbish is not actually in their beds the average Thai just does not see it. Also, given the lack of public recycling sites for larger items a vacant lot is the ideal place to dump that old bed/ wardrobe/ toilet etc.

It's when they start dumping the rubbish in your garden that you need to start worrying!!

When you drive the 118 road from Doi Saket to Chiang Mai,there's garbage every 50 meters,sometimes big piles,that are so "smelly" it

is hard to breathe.It is all trash from people throwing their household

garbage along the street in the evening or at night.

Thailand needs 10 million rubbish containers. The garbage problem in Singapore is solved partly due to rubbish containers everywhere. There needs to be group cleanup days like the one in Pattaya 3 months ago. Educational campaigns against littering and heavy fines are needed. Educational campaigns  worked in the USA in the 1970s. Thai people are terrible litterbugs, Prayut said this 2 years ago.

Edited by themerg

On 1/6/2018 at 12:22 PM, johnmcc6 said:

Why can't this work here?

Because you live in Thailand! All those empty plots are used to throw you rubbish bags on. The more there are the more will follow. And then at the end...........burn them !!!!!!!!

19 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Where are there vacant lots in the city?

Thapae Soi 1.  For a number of years.  But the property value is deceptively high.  And interestingly enough, over the last year or so, markets are springing back up again.  It's cyclical.  Growth is happening again, well, until the next banking crisis.  Then back to vacant lots.

Thailand is third world.  Garbage and disorder everywhere is part of what makes it third world.  Ever take a ride on the klong taxis around Bangkok?  See and smell the water?  No sewage treatment, but they want to tell you they're "world class" because they have a few nice hotels and convention centres.  

Sorry, doesn't work that way, and it's not leaving third world status in our lifetimes.

4 hours ago, themerg said:

Thailand needs 10 million rubbish containers. The garbage problem in Singapore is solved partly due to rubbish containers everywhere. There needs to be group cleanup days like the one in Pattaya 3 months ago. Educational campaigns against littering and heavy fines are needed. Educational campaigns  worked in the USA in the 1970s. Thai people are terrible litterbugs, Prayut said this 2 years ago.

The garbage problem in Singapore is solved by the convenient fact that Singapore is an island. The garbage barges that dump waste in the ocean run constantly.

23 minutes ago, Puwa said:

The garbage problem in Singapore is solved by the convenient fact that Singapore is an island. The garbage barges that dump waste in the ocean run constantly.

Source please.  My info from a quick look at a Singapore government website does not confirm that.  It states that after sorting, non recyclable trash is burned and ash is transported and used as landfill.  I am curious which is correct. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Source please.  My info from a quick look at a Singapore government website does not confirm that.  It states that after sorting, non recyclable trash is burned and ash is transported and used as landfill.  I am curious which is correct. Thanks.

I think you are right. I must have been hanging on to an old truth, maybe half-truth.

GNI per capita Singapore - 85,050                             Thailand - 16,070 According to the World bank

Explains why what works there will not work here

Maybe the Singaporeans became wealthy by not living like pigs.

Your info is correct. There are more than 5 million people in Singapore, if they were just dumping their garbage in the ocean it not only would be very obvious but it would be an international scandal.

On 1/7/2018 at 11:47 AM, billd766 said:

There is one just opposite the Nana BTS that has been vacant since I first came here in 1993. It must be worth billions and it would be an ideal place to build a shopping mall, hotel or a condomimium as BKK is somewhat short of those types of buildings and they desperately need more of them.

Do a bit of research that lot has some history behind it, and no it hasn't been vacant since 1993 at one time a thriving bar and small business area.

Or not posting like one

Strewing rubbish about belies a 3rd World mentality that is not easy to overcome. Singapore and Thailand were about in the same place socially and economically 60 years ago. The reason that Singapore was able to fix that was not because they had money, rather they started fixing the country up and then they started doing better economically. .