Motorbike Licence tests

Pesky

Hi Everyone.

I have both UK & Thai Licences to drive a car but neither covers a motorbike.

Just wondering what tests etc I will need to undertake to obtain a motorbike licence (assuming my paperwork is in order of course!}. Will I need to sit through the 1 hour video, take the multi-choice exam as well as the practical riding test? Also, can I deal with the necessary paperwork/tests in one day, or should I envisage this entailing a couple of separate visits?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

So what if you have a UK and Thai licence with full motorcycle licence entitlement on the UK one and want to add a motorcycle to your Thai licence ?

( Took motorcycle test in the UK  40 years ago , passed and had it on my licence ever since. )

Thanks for the replies guys.

I wish I had a UK motorbike licence because as I understand it (from a pal who went through the procedure a few weeks ago) the multi-choice exam & practical test are not required, although he did have to watch the safety video. Car & motorbike licences are seperate entities in Thailand, unlike the UK, so you have to apply for & obtain both.

Now hoping to start the process later this week - will report back on how I got on!

PS I did try a search before posting, but obviously failed.......hope that's not an omen!!!:cheesy:

Edited by Pesky

10 hours ago, Denim said:

So what if you have a UK and Thai licence with full motorcycle licence entitlement on the UK one and want to add a motorcycle to your Thai licence ?

( Took motorcycle test in the UK  40 years ago , passed and had it on my licence ever since. )

It's quite a simple process...

As long as your UK licence is still valid/current you only have to fill out a few forms.

Then maybe do a colour eyesight test (Which is a bit of a joke). I say maybe as this requirement varies from Land Transport Office to Land Transport Office.

The colour test I witnessed had the customer calling out the colour as the 'inspector' pointed to various spots/circles on a chart.

Some people have even had to sit through the hour long Thai video on road rules and safety.... luckily I didn't. A lot of Thais fall asleep during the screening.

A photo is taken and then you pay the fee and collect you new Thai motorcy licence.  Very simple and easy!

My takeaway from having sat through the video is that what we are to learn from the indoctrination is how to evade dangerous situations, not how to prevent them or how to abide by the law.

For example, if you are being forced to hit the ditch because an oncoming vehicle is in your lane, try to drive into a clump of bushes rather than a wall or an unyielding light post. 

Another time to be extra careful is when approaching an intersection in which you have a green light, be aware of vehicles coming at you from either side due to their failure to stop for their red light.

The drivers here write the rules of the road, and it's the motor vehicle department's job, in cooperation with the traffic police, to instruct us how to blend in, (nahm jai), be like water in a river.

22 hours ago, Denim said:

You can't "add" it to the car licence. They are separate.

As detailed in another reply, same as for car licence, but I didn't have to view the VDO when I got mine. Just a few visual/ reaction time tests and paperwork, plus medical.

Update as promised - Mission accomplished in one day.

Arrived at 8.25am to have paperwork checked, which was all in order. Informed that Iwas required to have colour blindness test, but no need to watch the Safety Video (presumably as I already have a Thai car driving licence). These formalities were quickly dealt with by 9.20, & I was then told to visit the WrittenTest section on the same floor to book the requisite time for said test. Was informed to return at 1pm, leaving me almost 3 years free time.

Returned at 1pm to complete the test at first attempt in 10 minutes (allowed time being 1 hour to take the test as many times as necessary to pass). Was then directed to outside practical testing area. Upon arrival, booked in & told to return at 3pm. Duly took & passed the test shortly after 3pm. Sent back to Main Building to pay fee & thereafter be photographed & licence issued. 

Departed the Land Transport Dept at 4.05pm with Motorbike Licence proudly in hand!

All in all a pretty painless day - actual procedures were dealt with very professionally & courteously by the Officials, for which i am very grateful (not being a Thai speaker).

PS It is essential to practice the WrittenTests, which are easily found online, to effectivey eliminate the chance of not choosing the correct answer

6 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

And what did you do with the other 2 years and 364 days of free time you had ?   Lol.

Glad someone is awake :cheesy:

I blame a pleasant meeting with the good Dr Leo for my losing track of time......:burp: