What's wrong with this picture?

soistalker

13 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Dongtan is in Jomtien.

Jomtien is in Pattaya. 

The beautiful sunset is obscured by the trees. Is there a prize for the first person to get the right answer?

1st prize. A week in a hotel on Dongtan beach?

2nd prize. 2 weeks in a hotel on Dongtan beach?

Nothing to do with the white balance, and everything to do with the contrast difference by shooting into the sunset from the shaded side of the trees. The JPEG encoder is trying its best to deal with over-exposure in the skies and under exposure in the foreground, and defaulting to whatever is closest to (what is probably) centre weighted metering.

If you want the sunset and the trees, shoot obliquely from the sunlit side. If you only want the trees, shoot with the sunset at a slight angle over your shoulder, facing the trees from the other side. If you want the sunset, nix the trees, or use a camera that can do active-D lighting - we are talking pro-sumer level Nikon, Canon etc. - or a *powerful* flash to do fill-in (the built-in flash isn't going to be up to it) and then edit it in Lightroom to balance the contrast out.

If none of that makes sense, do a photography course.

Edited by korkenzieher

...you are shooting into the light.. if you want some light on the subject you would need to be on the other side..  I see people doing this all the time.. ...apart from that a pretty boring subject.. a couple of people of no interest and a bit of clutter..  I'm not sure if this is morning or evening.. but whatever..    another time of day with light on the palms and something interesting .. it might work..  if you like the sign .. get it centered.. and crop out the uninteresting foreground.. if you are interested in taking good photos Google  'rule of thirds'.. 

7 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I'm not sure if this is morning or evening

If it's in fact Dongtan than sunset of course (evening).

1 hour ago, Minnehaha said:

Sunsets in west?

I hope so. :biggrin:

At least roughly in the west depending on season.

Today at 248 WSW.

Edited by Sunak

24 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

What, exactly, is the point of this thread?

Can the OP offer some clarification as to what he is asking?

Man (believed to use internet forum Thaivisa under the name "soistalker") found slumped over computer keyboard?

Suicide not suspected?

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

What, exactly, is the point of this thread?

Can the OP offer some clarification as to what he is asking?

Haha!... good question!... being generous I thought perhaps looking for advice on how to take a better photo..