New minimum 60k salary for foreigners to get Work Permit?

Hi everyone,

We wanted to extend the Work Permit of one of our employees today (office job, no educational position). Worked flawlessly the past years. Now my HR staff just called me and said that the officer at the Labour Department only extended the Work Permit by 6 month.

They told her that a new law took effect, which requires foreigners to have minimum salary of 60,000.00THB in order to retrieve a Work Permit...
Is this true? If yes, can someone point me to somewhere where I can read more about this law?

Given that it worked fine for years, the reasoning sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

As far as I know there still no minimum salary requirement to get a work permit.

Not sure how they could set a higher minimum salary than what immigration requires to get a one year extension based upon working. Their requirement based upon nationality varies from 25k baht to 50k baht.

The only new law is the Alien Working act and it does not have a minimum salary clause in it as far as I know.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JanR said:

Is this true? If yes, can someone point me to somewhere where I can read more about this law?

There is no a no minimum salary in law or change that I know of. However, there is nothing stopping a labour office insisting that the foreigner is paid x salary.

In my experience, even though there isn’t a minimum, the labour office does expect to see the foreigner being paid a ‘reasonable’ salary for the job unless it’s genuine volunteer work.

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Or the revenue dept insist that tax be paid on minimum 60,000. Currently it is 50,000.

As far as I know the revenue department has no such requirement. I don't think one in any country would have such a rule.

The 50,000 baht salary is from the police order for a extension of stay based upon working for a company. It is 50k baht for those from most western countries and down to a low of 25k for others.

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Or the revenue dept insist that tax be paid on minimum 60,000. Currently it is 50,000.

Per month, where do you get that information from?

Even if you take the personal allowances in to account and that the first 150k per tax year is at 0%, then a salary of 50,000 per month would still attract income tax.

A married man with 3 children would start to pay tax at around 30,000 per month.

i have no expert advice on work permits but just reading your comments on it feeling strange and no one can so far can explain just confirms for me how more corrupt it feels this country, even from the corrupt ways of the past which never dissapeared it just feels the whole place is going back to its really corrupt ways

Edited by humbug
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, humbug said:

i have no expert advice on work permits but just reading your comments on it feeling strange and no one can so far can explain just confirms for me how more corrupt it feels this country, even from the corrupt ways of the past which never dissapeared it just feels the whole place is going back to its really corrupt ways

Are you suggesting that you think corruption may be involved?

It was hard to tell given you barely mentioned it!!

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, JGV said:

This insisting of a 60,000 minimum monthly salary is to enable more tax and in most cases where a teacher is being employed enables the school and the labour department to get the paper work right - pay the teacher 40k and then share out the extra 20 as a reward for corrupt practices

As has already been stated, positions in education are exempt so what you have posted is completely untrue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The OP says the person is not employed as teaching staff.

I know and have met people (westerners) in high teaching positions and some who have risen to managerial heights. Only the very top guys make 60K+. It would simply put many of the small set-ups out of business and take out the backpacker element in teaching.

Given what Joe says (and other knowledgeable guys) I think this is a case of the wrong person on the wrong day, as can happen dealing with any officialdom here when they are looking for a hand out or just getting revenge for losing their row with the wife at breakfast.

:whistling:

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2018 at 4:16 PM, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know the revenue department has no such requirement. I don't think one in any country would have such a rule.

The 50,000 baht salary is from the police order for a extension of stay based upon working for a company. It is 50k baht for those from most western countries and down to a low of 25k for others.

Actually, if a 50K minimum salary was enforced, it would completely destroy the pool of candidates to teach English in both public and private schools within Thailand, as the average monthly salary for degreed instructors with TESOLs is probably closer to 30K / month if not lower, as here in Chiang Mai.  So if the MoL enforces a minimum of 50K for Western teachers, then there will be a mass exodus of teachers, a NES teacher shortage, and those who stay will be working illegally without work permits.  So my guess is that 99% of the time, salary minimums will be conveniently ignored.  At least for those on work permits for teaching English. 

Edited by connda
  • Thanks 1

On 09/01/2018 at 4:19 PM, Mattd said:

Per month, where do you get that information from?

Even if you take the personal allowances in to account and that the first 150k per tax year is at 0%, then a salary of 50,000 per month would still attract income tax.

A married man with 3 children would start to pay tax at around 30,000 per month.

40,000++ of he had parents in law that were retired, a mortgage, investments etc