New minimum 60k salary for foreigners to get Work Permit?

The person involved was not employed as a teacher.

That he worked in a school is irrelevant. As an admin worker was he entitled to a WP in the first place?

I understand the situation has people concerned about their own circumstances, but was the decision correct or just a one off due to the immigration officer making an arbitrary decision?

I suspect the officer allowed a 6 month extension to avoid the hassle of disputing how he got the WP in the 1st place.

Has the supposed 60K law even been announced???

:unsure:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

The person involved was not employed as a teacher.

That he worked in a school is irrelevant. As an admin worker was he entitled to a WP in the first place?

I understand the situation has people concerned about their own circumstances, but was the decision correct or just a one off due to the immigration officer making an arbitrary decision?

I suspect the officer allowed a 6 month extension to avoid the hassle of disputing how he got the WP in the 1st place.

Has the supposed 60K law even been announced???

:unsure:

If someone wants an extension of permission to stay on the basis of working in jobs other than teaching (for instance, admin) then there are minimum salary levels. The minimum salary depends on nationality. If from most Western countries, you have been required to have a salary of 50k baht per month. Those requirements have been made public. I do not know where the 60k figure comes from. I am not aware that the minimum salary has been increased, but maybe I missed the announcement. It would make sense that they provided an extension of just six months if the minimum salary required had just increased and the applicant had a salary of more than 50k but less than 60k.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

If someone wants an extension of permission to stay on the basis of working in jobs other than teaching (for instance, admin) then there are minimum salary levels.

That is not exactly correct. Those working at a school as staff, admin and etc are covered under the same clause of the police order as those that are teaching.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not exactly correct. Those working at a school as staff, admin and etc are covered under the same clause of the police order as those that are teaching.

Thanks for clearing that up Joe.

My work in Thailand was not in Teaching but I put my son through school here for a few years and there were usually foreign admin staff not just teachers.

On 09/01/2018 at 6:02 PM, humbug said:

i have no expert advice on work permits but just reading your comments on it feeling strange and no one can so far can explain just confirms for me how more corrupt it feels this country, even from the corrupt ways of the past which never dissapeared it just feels the whole place is going back to its really corrupt ways

The events of a few years ago are the cause of this for a number of reasons. Before the corruption was orderly but now it is chaotic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/16/2018 at 11:41 PM, BritTim said:

If someone wants an extension of permission to stay on the basis of working in jobs other than teaching (for instance, admin) then there are minimum salary levels. The minimum salary depends on nationality. If from most Western countries, you have been required to have a salary of 50k baht per month. Those requirements have been made public.

Trying hard to find the source in law of announcement on government website. Where can I find it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pbrock said:

Trying hard to find the source in law of announcement on government website. Where can I find it?

The latest information was in Police Order 327/2557 (from 2014).  ThaiVisa arranged for Siam Translation to provide what I think is a very good English translation. Read it at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNib_gx9zYEYkFjMUNHV1pXdWs/view. The salary requirements are listed right at the bottom.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 4:55 PM, Orton Rd said:

This would mean almost no English 'teachers' would get work permits

My understanding is teachers go under a separate rule just as when a farang applies for a work permit, you get the 1-month temporary Visa first until it is approved by Central Bkk Immigration, then you must wait for about 30-days to get your 1-year final extension (which is really only 11 months, since they took 30 days from you).  However, teacher visas are approved on the spot and no waiting.

I remember a few years ago, I was a good friend of the then Chief of Lopburi Labor Dept.  She gave me a 2-year and later a 3-year stamp for my WP, but it was useless since Immigration would not give me more than a 1-year visa.  Thai government offices rarely coordinate on rules and procedures, especially based upon my consulting within the Thai government.

My understanding is teachers go under a separate rule just as when a farang applies for a work permit, you get the 1-month temporary Visa first until it is approved by Central Bkk Immigration, then you must wait for about 30-days to get your 1-year final extension (which is really only 11 months, since they took 30 days from you).  However, teacher visas are approved on the spot and no waiting.

I remember a few years ago, I was a good friend of the then Chief of Lopburi Labor Dept.  She gave me a 2-year and later a 3-year stamp for my WP, but it was useless since Immigration would not give me more than a 1-year visa.  Thai government offices rarely coordinate on rules and procedures, especially based upon my consulting within the Thai government.
Correct. Teachers are exempt from the minimum salary requirements.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know how much relevance this has, but I had to renew my work permit in October 2017, and they would only give me 6 months, with the reason being that the company I worked for (small weekly local newspaper with my wife as MD) was not showing a profit. And they said they would only give me another one in March 2018 if that had changed. Fortunately it did change by then, but they still refused to renew my work permit, this time because my social security payments were not being made through the company (I was paying them direct from my own bank account, because 2 years prior the Social Security office had told me that I couldn't pay them through the company!). I had, up until then, been getting a work permit renewal every year for about 8 years. I was staggered with the first reason, that the Ministry of Labour could insist on profit being shown, and then totally frustrated the second time when they refused completely. We shut the business down as it could not operate without me, meaning 2 Thais directly lost their jobs, the printer lost a customer, the accountant lost a customer, and the Thai taxman lost both salary and company taxes that they had been getting all those years. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 10:33 AM, ChesneyHawkes said:

Think there’s an exception in the regulations for educators.

if you are not earning 50 (or 60) K baht per month then you will still be issued a work permit - you don't understand how it  works. Simply, whatever you are earning under these amounts, you will pay tax on 50K. I've been employed on 36K and for 12 years have been paying tax on 50K all that time.

• Like 1