Need a lawyer to gain parental rights - recommendations, please

heretostay

Nothing new under the sun.

Please private message me with the names of family-practice lawyers in Bangkok.

My European buddy, whose English is quite weak and whose Thai is weaker, fathered a child here five years ago and has lived with the mother, who is Thai, since then.  He is not married to the woman.  The relationship has gone sour and there is proof of some abuse by the girlfriend/mother on both my buddy and the child.

Although the cards are stacked against the father, there may be a way forward.  Advice is welcome here, and names of lawyers by private message would also be appreciated.

Thanks all.

For what it's worth, in my case I went directly to the local family courts here in Buriram while my wife talked to three different lawyers before choosing one. (We were helping a family member).  One wasn't interested at all, another seemed expensive.

The procedure is fairly simple, you have to get proof of paternity, either through tacit non contest of the claim to be father or DNA testing. You then have to ask for parental rights to be accorded to you, which the mother may again contest (this is where they scent money) etc. Three court appearances, four stamped and signed documents, time and patience. You definitely need a Thai speaker to represent your friend as well as the lawyer present. 

In my very simple case it cost me ฿47 000.-, 

Hope that helps, good luck

Archived