Verification process for new bank accounts to be tighter

webfact

Verification process for new bank accounts to be tighter

By THE NATION

7e1c25b3179f548250cfc1398ddab502.jpeg

AMLO to hold discussions with banks in bid to prevent fraud from stolen id cards; move follows recent case of cheating.

THE ANTI-MONEY Laundering Office (AMLO) will work with banks and other financial institutions to improve verification procedures for customers applying for new bank accounts.

The agency plans to hold a meeting with representatives of 36 banks and financial institutions today to prevent fraud resulting from criminals using stolen ID cards to open bank accounts.

8c5f94aa44374f16c88cbc254dca66ac.jpeg

Currently, institutions could be liable to a hefty fine of up to Bt1 million per wrongful account.

The problem was highlighted when Nicha Kiatthanapaibul, 24, filed a complaint with police after her stolen ID card was used by a criminal network to open multiple accounts to cheat innocent people.

Pol Maj-General Romsit Viriyasan, deputy chief of AMLO, said the agency will discuss preventive measures with banks to avoid unauthorised use of ID cards in opening bank accounts. Nicha claimed her ID card was stolen but she was still jailed for three days while her case was clarified.

c45e4242afccc772691a396c20b2d6e5.jpeg

Police are examining video footage from banks’ security cameras to show that Nicha did not go to seven bank branches to open accounts that were used by a bogus call centre to lure victims to transfer money into the accounts.

Police earlier said Nicha was put in jail because she failed to show up after being summoned to be investigated in this case. She later filed the complaint with police that she was innocent and provided video footage showing another woman had entered a bank branch to open one of the accounts using Nicha’s stolen ID card.

dec0e2dd7aeaaf9eb6fb7e7625933287.jpeg

The deputy AMLO chief said all financial institutions are required by law to properly verify identities by using their ID cards and other personal data.

If banks fail to do the task properly, they are liable to a Bt1-million fine per wrongful account plus an additional daily fine of up Bt10,000 until the mistake is corrected.

Vichien Chidchanoknart, a director of Department of Provincial Administration, the Interior Ministry, said citizens need to keep their ID cards safe and should quickly report and apply for new ones if the card is stolen or lost. The previous ID card will be automatically nullified once reported.

Banks and other establishments must verify the the photo on the ID card matches the user and check if the chip-embedded card is genuine. They must also check with the department's computer system to ensure that the card is still valid.

He said people can also report to police that their ID card has been stolen but it is advisable to get new ID cards from district offices which will then automatically nullify the lost or stolen ones.

Pol General Veerachai Songmedtha, the deputy national police chief, said investigators are pursuing two cases. The first involves an embezzlement case where victims were cheated by the illegal call centre using stolen ID cards to open bank accounts. The second involves the use of other people’s ID cards to open unauthorised bank accounts.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30336049

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-12

Eureka, what an idea!  Someone should have thought of this long ago!  Let's have the banks use this thing called an ID card to visually identify the person opening a bank account!!!  Hey, they can even match the ID photo with the face of the person holding the card!!!  WOW, BRILLIANT idea!  And if the photo ID does not show a person wearing a face mask then the person using it needs to remove any face mask!!  

They're truly on to something here in the land of new and creative ideas!  This concept could really catch on throughout the rest of the world!  Thanks Thailand, you're an innovative hub without peer.

I remember being called a ‘Thai basher’ on here for refusing an offer by my bank to have an app on my phone where I can quickly and easily transfer funds. Just need a 4 digit pin. The same person told me that you also need an ‘OTP’ code! Great! As long as I don’t lose my phone or have it stolen, I’m as safe as houses. But if I lose my phone, I’m f*****. Also, I know how the banks here are with security and taking responsibility for any mistakes. 

In life you should apply logic and common sense. In no country or culture are you obliged to take stupid risks so as not to offend someone or something with a terrible reputation. It’s not personal. It’s business. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Banks and other establishments must verify the the photo on the ID card matches the user and check if the chip-embedded card is genuine. They must also check with the department's computer system to ensure that the card is still valid.

as we sometimes see, when something get harder for thais, that farang also need, it can get 'more harder' for the farang;

how might this work with an expat here that has only a passport ? might the bank require that near-idiotic letter from embassy/consulate ? who likely does the same thing as the bank, inspects the passport and charges a notary fee for the letter

Why don't the government add a pin number to ID cards, just like a bank card has?

To use the card for ID you would have to enter the pin number in a chip and pin machine at the bank/government office/mobile phone shop/etc.

The government could require all banks to enable free pin number changes at all ATMs.

I don't think that would be difficult - the same pin number technology is used millions of times each day anyway.

In addition, any stolen cards would be flagged up at the same time.

The Thai ID card with a smart chips was introduced about 14 years ago so Government offices and banks could check the ID of the person.

But most if not all Government Offices and banks never got the card reader connected to the data base and there was no laws to force them to use it.  I am guessing that a card reader at the Land Office would not be appreciated as it would be also more difficult to use fake ID card to register land.

They still prefer make multiple photocopies of ID card that are not very useful as this banking case prove.

With the  card reader they would have known instantly that the card was stolen and VOID.

1 hour ago, cnx355 said:

The Thai ID card with a smart chips was introduced about 14 years ago so Government offices and banks could check the ID of the person.

But most if not all Government Offices and banks never got the card reader connected to the data base and there was no laws to force them to use it.  I am guessing that a card reader at the Land Office would not be appreciated as it would be also more difficult to use fake ID card to register land.

They still prefer make multiple photocopies of ID card that are not very useful as this banking case prove.

With the  card reader they would have known instantly that the card was stolen and VOID.

So the most sophisticated check fails, because it cannot actually be implemented.

Failure to implement the simplest check (does the face match the photo?) was the problem in this case.

Failure to implement a procedure/regulation/law.........hmm, where have I heard that before?

Edited by Enoon

unfortunately common sense and Thailand do not connect, much easier to blame some one else or lock up the innocent person than actually do what is required. The ones that opened the accounts should be charged for a start for failing to do their duties and ensure the person applying for the account was the same as the id card, the banks should be charged for not ensuring the workers followed the regulations as well, all transactions should require the customer to show their face but it appears the banks only require solid proof for farangs

Banking in Thailand is a lottery. Different banks require different forms of ID and associated mountain of paperwork all of which are photocopied and need to be signed in blue ink. It is a totally inefficient and labour intensive process. I tried to use my banks App but couldn't because it didn't recognise my passport number which I had renewed since I opened the account. So I went into the bank last week to change my passport details. What a nightmare. Having provided all the information required and had all the necessary documents photocopied and signed I finally managed to change my details after 45 minutes. Went back to try and use the App and guess what, it didn't work. Another trip to the bank for goodness knows how long I think. Thailand 4.0 ... 555

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Police earlier said Nicha was put in jail because she failed to show up after being summoned to be investigated in this case. She later filed the complaint with police that she was innocent and provided video footage showing another woman had entered a bank branch to open one of the accounts using Nicha’s stolen ID card.

So... the police grabbed and jailed her after she failed to appear “to be investigated”... ok.... got that

then what?... they let her go so she could do the police investigation for them by going to the banks concerned, and finding the evidence needed to clear herself

and she then had to present this in the form of a complaint?

im thinking they should offer this girl a job!

bank employees must have university degrees in addition to bank training thus it is enlightening how their end result accumulated intellectual accumen is not sufficient to have a masked patron opening an account take the mask off.

in the past if dating a uni grad gal i may have shared that fact with friends, not any more.  mind boggling

uni's are like ineptitude factories (exceptions duly noted)

Edited by atyclb

34 minutes ago, farcanell said:

So... the police grabbed and jailed her after she failed to appear “to be investigated”... ok.... got that

then what?... they let her go so she could do the police investigation for them by going to the banks concerned, and finding the evidence needed to clear herself

and she then had to present this in the form of a complaint?

im thinking they should offer this girl a job!

She was jailed because she didn't turn up to be investigated.

How many Thai have in the past 'not turned up' but no action taken? Thousands at least.

Urgently roll on the new RTP please.

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

She was jailed because she didn't turn up to be investigated.

How many Thai have in the past 'not turned up' but no action taken? Thousands at least.

Urgently roll on the new RTP please.

That’s right... that’s right... that’s what I said in my first paragraph.

the gist of my second and third paragraph is what I find odd.... she seems to have had to investigate the bank cctv records to clear herself via a complaint based on her evidence., vs the police investigating her guilt or innocence.

undoubtedly there is crucial information missing... undoubtedly... TIT

4 hours ago, cnx355 said:

I've lived here on a full time basis for 4 years now, and I have completely lost count of the number of times my passport has been examined, multiple copies made and (meaninglessly and unverifiably) countersigned in the course of a relatively modest and simple lifestyle. There must be several hundred photocopies of my passport, and a slack handful of other documents, wifes id card and tabien ban and so on filling some document store somewhere!

15 hours ago, grego49 said:

The bank  people who opened these accounts should be sacked for a start.

I have a feeling they all were, their bosses are not stupid, get rid of them and the problem goes away,   Oh wait   -  a Supervisor has to sign all the new account as well, so maybe they will fire themselves  :cheesy: