Ecuador gives Assange citizenship, seeks end to embassy stay

webfact

12 minutes ago, tifino said:

quite funny, how little David has stuck it to Goliath US.

quite funny how the Bail - last gasp option for little Goliath UK fails, as Bail must now be a moot point considering the Charges it was based upon don't even exist anymore

funny there's some claiming the Swedish Police are still after him!  why? (for same reason as the UK Bail farce)

I suspect that the Swedish/UK/US authorities have not given up on their 'witch hunt' of Assange - as has been made clear by the UK authorities.... 

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

You're missing the point.  Why have they suddenly given him citizenship?

Just thinking creatively - maybe by becoming a citizen,

Maybe there's some title or award they could bestow on him that would exempt him from British laws? What about (extreme) Honorary or Acting Vice President.

Maybe there's some negative aspect that Ecuador authorities could use to get him out of Britain.

Perhaps they could charge him with some Ecuador crime and bring him to Ecuador without extradition, but would that keep Britain from still arresting him outside of the embassy?

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Assange is just a parasite, not a man hiding in the embassy,let him stay there.

It looks like the Ecuadorians have had enough of him,must be a pain in the a++e having to put up with him.

5 years in there,let him stay there another 5 years.

I'm afraid this is not possible

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/uk-denies-diplomatic-status-for-julian-assange-after-request-by-ecuador/news-story/561e7c089519b8294ff6fd3bf63a2a90

5 hours ago, fvw53 said:

Assange is  wanted by Swedish police ...I do not see how a change to Ecuadorian passport will change it...he cannot go out of the Embassy in London without facing arrest ....or do they plan also to provide him with a diplomatic passport?

No he is not! Sweden dropped all charges months ago

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Assange aint got nowhere to go except to mother Russia. He can join the slimey coward Snowden.

" The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. "

Edmund Burke

Because the arrest warrant is for the offence of failing to surrender himself in accordance with his bail terms.

He was bailed by a UK court. He "jumped bail", in itself a serious offence. That is why he is liable to be arrested. The Swedish or indeed US interests in him, if any, are irrelevant.

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, toughlove said:

So why is the arrest warrant in the UK still active?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Assange still faces arrest for jumping bail if he walks out of diplomatic protection, which he claims is needed to keep him from being extradited to the United States to face charges of disclosing confidential military and diplomatic documents.

Edited by midas

On 1/12/2018 at 1:32 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

Fair question...

General consensus from the US intelligence agencies. And I tend to trust their expertise in this matter.

BTW I think Geriatrickid (spelling) from page 1 has it correct. To the best of my knowledge, diplomatic immunity only kicks in when a diplomat is accepted by the host country (they can refuse to accept a nominated diplomat, although that is rare). But, I am not an expert...

So I take it you still believe that Saddam had WMD hiding in every corner. And Al Kaida fighters all over, and was masterminding 9/11 attacks. After all, that whats your US "intelligence" agencies has been telling you, right?

No, you sir, are not an expert, merely a brainwashed sheeple....

If "intelligence" agency isn't an oxymoron, than I don't know what is.

In my book,  Mr Assange and Mr Snowden are people's heroes. They've got bigger balls than you'll ever posses. Don't you ever dare to call any of them cowards. They had the balls to stand up to one of the most powerful countries. Would you have the balls to do the same, Sir?

Edited by SpaceKadet
Typo

On 1/12/2018 at 9:46 AM, geriatrickid said:

Assange aint got nowhere to go except to mother Russia. He can join the slimey coward Snowden.

Spoken like a homie who ain't nevah done nothin' fer nobody. Fewer brains, fewer balls. Somebody trying to make things better for all of us. 

and then tried to make him a diplomat, but the UK said no

Suppose another country accepts him as a diplomat? Suppose (for example), Burundi accepts him as the Ecuadorian Ambassador to the country of Burundi?

Is Britain allowed to arrest the fully-accredited Ambassador to Burundi?

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Suppose another country accepts him as a diplomat? Suppose (for example), Burundi accepts him as the Ecuadorian Ambassador to the country of Burundi?

Is Britain allowed to arrest the fully-accredited Ambassador to Burundi?

Yes.   He has no diplomatic immunity in the UK.  

and then tried to make him a diplomat, but the UK said no

"Suppose another country accepts him as a diplomat? Suppose (for example), Burundi accepts him as the Ecuadorian Ambassador to the country of Burundi?

Is Britain allowed to arrest the fully-accredited Ambassador to Burundi?"

The point is that before an individuals diplomatic status becomes effective, it has to be accepted by the country to which he is being sent as a diplomat (accredited).

Since Assange is wanted by the UK courts for jumping bail, then the UK will not accept his accreditation. Therefore he will not be a diplomat.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:10 PM, tifino said:

quite funny, how little David has stuck it to Goliath US.

I suspect the current U.S. administration would welcome Assange to the U.S.?

The closeness of the election in Ecuador last year - with some saying Assange may have been in trouble had Lasso won - may in part have contributed to the granting of citizenship now? Maybe that protects him from any future administration's attempts to give him the boot. 

11 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

So I take it you still believe that Saddam had WMD hiding in every corner. And Al Kaida fighters all over, and was masterminding 9/11 attacks. After all, that whats your US "intelligence" agencies has been telling you, right?

No, you sir, are not an expert, merely a brainwashed sheeple....

If "intelligence" agency isn't an oxymoron, than I don't know what is.

In my book,  Mr Assange and Mr Snowden are people's heroes. They've got bigger balls than you'll ever posses. Don't you ever dare to call any of them cowards. They had the balls to stand up to one of the most powerful countries. Would you have the balls to do the same, Sir?

What a load of old balls.

21 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

What a load of old balls.

Oh it doesn't matter what you believe:bah: you even defended the criminal  action of the banksters in the financial crisis thread so what credibility have you got?:giggle:

Either USA has a constitution which ensures freedom of speech including criticising the criminal acts of its government or just stop calling America the land of the free. You can't have it both ways

The Persecution of Julian Assange

"Julian Assange has lost seven years of his life because stinking dirty Washington wanted revenge on Assange for exercising the US Constitution-protected right of a free press..."

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2018/01/12/persecution-julian-assange/

Edited by midas

4 minutes ago, midas said:

Oh it doesn't matter what you believe:bah: you even defend the  action of the banksters so what credibility of you got?:giggle:

Either USA has a constitution which ensures freedom of speech including criticising the criminal acts of its government or just stop calling America the land of the free. You can't have it both ways

The US also has laws.

Assange might be prosecuted under the Espionage Act of 1917 that was used successfully against Israeli Johnathan Pollard in 1986, sentenced to life.

A much more detailed review by three legal analysts covers the issue of freedom of speech.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40653249/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/t/us-v-wikileaks-espionage-first-amendment/#.WlrVtzeKvIU

From my layman's perspective, Assange would do better to completely avoid arrest by the US.

Note that a new bill - the Senate Intelligence Authorization Act (SB 1761) - reads in part:

“SENSE OF CONGRESS ON WIKILEAKS: It is the sense of Congress that WikiLeaks and the senior leadership of WikiLeaks resemble a non-state hostile intelligence service often abetted by state actors and should be treated as such a service by the United States.”

This sentence is nearly identical to a statement made by Trump's CIA Director Mike Pompeo on April 13, 2017 in which WikiLeaks was described as a “non-state hostile intelligence service often abetted by state actors like Russia.” http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/is-u-s-congress-declaring-war-on-wikileaks/

Trump may want to rethink "I love WikiLeaks!"

1 hour ago, midas said:

Oh it doesn't matter what you believe:bah: you even defended the criminal  action of the banksters in the financial crisis thread so what credibility have you got?:giggle:

That would be Paul Craig Roberts, Conspiracy Theory crazy.

Because the arrest warrant is for the offence of failing to surrender himself in accordance with his bail terms.

He was bailed by a UK court. He "jumped bail", in itself a serious offence. That is why he is liable to be arrested. The Swedish or indeed US interests in him, if any, are irrelevant.

Yeah right he could get a whopping 12 months!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-457471/Thousands-bail-jumpers-escape-jail-guidelines-weakened-ease-prisons.html

On 1/12/2018 at 4:23 PM, midas said:

" for Julian Assange to leave the embassy to face justice,”

But for what crime?

Swedish prosecutors drop Julian Assange rape investigation

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/may/19/swedish-prosecutors-drop-julian-assange-investigation

Your link is meaningless, since it mentions that as soon as possible they will re-open the case. It is only closed to him being unavailable for questioning.

" “If he, at a later date, makes himself available, I will be able to decide to resume the investigation immediately.” "

20 hours ago, stevenl said:

Your link is meaningless, since it mentions that as soon as possible they will re-open the case. It is only closed to him being unavailable for questioning.

" “If he, at a later date, makes himself available, I will be able to decide to resume the investigation immediately.” "

It's still an endless 'loop'.

1) Sweden says it is 'no longer investigating' the case - but hasn't assured that it will not renew it's investigation and seek extradition again if Assange leaves the embassy.

2) UK says it will arrest Assange on bail jumping charges if he leaves the embassy - even though he jumped bail on the UK's attempt to extradite him to Sweden for questioning - even though Sweden has said that it no longer has an interest in questioning him.....

Nothing has changed (as far as I can make out), other than Sweden saying that they have dropped the investigation.

Which is why I'm interested as to why Ecuador has suddenly given him citizenship in (presumably) a ploy to get him out of the UK?