do immigration keep letters/papers after visa application

zoza

I went for my extension of stay due to retirement yesterday, I was feeling a bit rough but with only one slight mistake

I was out of there in twenty mins.

as usual I was asked to return tomorrow for my passport, all seemed ok but when I returned home I was feeling worse

and this morning I did not feel like going to soi 5 as my wife was going to the market by soi 5 I asked if she would see

if they would give her my passport? yep a big no and told that I had to return on Monday/Tuesday or whenever for my

passport...I figured that might happen as I had heard rumors but when I looked at the folder that I had taken the paperwork

in I noticed they had kept a few like bank letter and embassy earnings statement and then my lease.....which was a bit 

of a surprise....is this standard procedure. as I have my lease's from the last few years so they have never kept them before.

anybody who knows the drill please enlighten.

No worries. Pretty standard keeping these copies. They wanna take your photo, when picking up the passport. All very efficient and easy last few years. Only TM 30 still a bit hard if in and out of the country and living in your own place.  Enjoy your Sunday. MS>

What they do is use the blank side of the copies of your documents as printing paper, for things like immigrations regulations. Then they give these recycled printed copies out to people who come into the immigration office. 

You would be surprised at the number of passport copies and other personal documents of foreigners I've been handed by immigration staff over the years. 

It must be an ID theif's dream

1 hour ago, Time Traveller said:

What they do is use the blank side of the copies of your documents as printing paper, for things like immigrations regulations.

They keep the original bank manager's letter and the original embassy income statement, the latter at least would usually include a raised stamp and both would have official signatures. I don't believe they would use the reverse side of such documents as printer paper although they have sometimes used less vital copies that were discarded for forms that would be returned to them.

Can you just imagine the warehouses full of immigration paperwork and the number of trees no longer consuming CO2 and producing O2 for all the paperwork shuffle that could so easily be digitized and made more efficient, like issuing digital ID to all Non-O expats and streamlining the extension processes and 90 day reports.  Whao!  Makes way too much sense.  It is nice when the computerized systems work, but that is so hit and miss, unreliable, and only works for a portion of the long-term expats here in the LOS (Land of Seemingly-ending-paperwork-and-forms)

They certainly keep papers for some time, how long of a time I don't know.

They keep some papers for only a short time, then they reuse them and use the blank side to save paper- I have had my 90 day report returned and on the reverse side is someones details with a photocopy of their passport photo and their work permit details.

So yes, they do keep paperwork, then reuse it and send it back out into the wide wide world!

11 hours ago, connda said:

Can you just imagine the warehouses full of immigration paperwork and the number of trees no longer consuming CO2 and producing O2 for all the paperwork shuffle that could so easily be digitized and made more efficient, like issuing digital ID to all Non-O expats and streamlining the extension processes and 90 day reports.  Whao!  Makes way too much sense.  It is nice when the computerized systems work, but that is so hit and miss, unreliable, and only works for a portion of the long-term expats here in the LOS (Land of Seemingly-ending-paperwork-and-forms)

Whats your point?  Save the trees?

A place like California where technology was basically invented still makes you bring in all your "paperwork" to the DMV, state agencies, etc.

As far as streamlining it seems much better to me never spending more then 1 hour in the place for anything over the past year.

Hey, it gets one out of the house for an hour.

If you had looked in the back office area where you report residence, in the ally there are a couple dozen large plastic bags full of paperwork from previous applications, I reckoned at least 500 kgs - guess they recycle them somehow cause they are all tied up in bundles. :coffee1:

On 1/12/2018 at 1:19 AM, Suradit69 said:

They keep the original bank manager's letter and the original embassy income statement, the latter at least would usually include a raised stamp and both would have official signatures. I don't believe they would use the reverse side of such documents as printer paper although they have sometimes used less vital copies that were discarded for forms that would be returned to them.

Maybe that's true about bank accounts, but I have personally received, copies of foreigners passports, resumes, home address, phone numbers, email address, employer and work address, and various tax filings that belong to other people, and I imagine my information was given out to other people as well.

Archived