On the way to buy Land

Ron2

Hi there,

i am on the way to buy land for my Thai wife. Well, that land have fully Chanode deed, that´s 100% fact. But i´m just wondering, that land don´t show any chanode mark. However,  can we build  a perimeter wall without that chanode mark? Or better we should not do that? How long does the land office need to do the chanode mark, like i said.....land already have chanode deed.

Regards

Ron

Edited by Ron2

As above.. Get Land department out to re-measure and place chanote markers. There might be some there already but buried !!

Make sure neighbors of any bordering land are present, so they can witness the border arrangement.

Then build your wall, but make sure it's just on your side of the boundary.

It will take as long as it takes but gets quicker the more you pay :) 5000 baht will get it done pretty fast...

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

You can pay the Land Department to come out and GPS your corners and set the Chanote posts. Last time I did it, it cost 6,000 Baht and was done in a couple of days time. 

Yeah and if theres no natural boundries, you need to keep a close eye on it.. 

When done on Phuket the land officer was happy to grow a plot by about 3 linear meters for an entire side encroaching massively on anothers highly valuable seaview land, for a very little amount extra. 

And just because I spent some interesting time researching last week.. Theres currently a scammer trying to steal control of a company and sell the land its holding from out under the actual buyer and moral owner of the land. 

If the plot you considering acting on is in doi saket with property on it, you could PM me. 

You should get the land office to measure and mark the land.   Most prices are based on size and you only know the correct size from a recent measurement.

Much better to build the wall after you get it marked by the land office.  

IF you found no numbered land office markers to verify, be very careful that the land you are buying is the one you have looked at and think you are buying.  Somebody knowledgable with land office maps should help you.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I seem to remember a few years ago the government was "cracking down" on non Thais buying land via their wives, or through companies.

Has that changed?

I don't know if it has changed, but I paid for land for my wife in Saraphi a few years ago. My wife went to the land office with the seller, I went to the gym. My wife called, said I had to go to the land office because they wanted to see me. I was baffled really because the land was going to be in my wife's name and my name was nowhere on any paperwork. I went, the official never looked at me, not once, asked my wife if I was aware that I couldn't own it or have any claim on it. She asked me, I said that I was aware of that and they went ahead with the deal. As an aside, the tax was paid by the seller. Apparently that is traditional. We got a good deal on the land so I asked my wife if we shouldn't pay 50% at least. Her reply was in the negative.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I seem to remember a few years ago the government was "cracking down" on non Thais buying land via their wives, or through companies.

Has that changed?

No it hasn`t changed. At most times the authorities will turn a blind eye in situations like these, but get into any problems, Thai wife decides to shit on her Farlang husband from a great height, Thai wife dies, police decide to have another purge or neighbour disputes and then the Farlang has no jurisdiction or legal rights over any of it and it fact still has no jurisdiction or legal rights over the land anyway. He has to let his Thai wife deal with everything.

I would never invest in anything whereas others stand to benefit more then me. It`s like playing a game of bluff with a crap hand. All I can say to the OP is, think again, but doubt he will listen, they never do.

Edited by cyberfarang

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I would never invest in anything whereas others stand to benefit more then me. It`s like playing a game of bluff with a crap hand. All I can say to the OP is, think again, but doubt he will listen, they never do.

I never considered it as an investment, it was a gift, a gift that has more than tripled in value. No further investment such as buildings, it is just sitting there, my wife get's the occasional offer but has no interest in selling. Our residence is different, I paid for the land and we built a house on it. I then got a lease on the land and house registered at the land office. We also both have wills leaving each other our assets. My Thai wife is as nice a person as you could ever hope to meet, and more trustworthy than my farang wife ever was.

13 hours ago, Dante99 said:

You should get the land office to measure and mark the land.   Most prices are based on size and you only know the correct size from a recent measurement.

Much better to build the wall after you get it marked by the land office.  

IF you found no numbered land office markers to verify, be very careful that the land you are buying is the one you have looked at and think you are buying.  Somebody knowledgable with land office maps should help you.

To the OP :   read and memorize this post !   not only regarding size,  but also preventing big problems

with the surrrounding land owners.  the neighboring owners are notified of the date of measuring.

Of course you , wife, and hopefully some other relatives of hers will aslo be present to witness. 

One more suggestion:   no need to argue with neighbors.  smile and say :  the land office will show where

the boundaries are.   

If you have not already bought the land........make a contract contingent on the land size being at least

what is shown on the chanote.   Give deposit,  and wait for measurement 

19 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Make sure neighbors of any bordering land are present, so they can witness the border arrangement.

Why they have to be witness.....like i wrote chanode already done. Like i know, neighbors have to be witness only if chanode not yet done. 

Edited by Ron2

19 minutes ago, Ron2 said:

Why they have to be witness.....like i wrote chanode already done. Like i know, neighbors have to be witness only if chanode not yet done. 

They don't have to witness it, they are invited to witness it. It is for your own protection.  Would you rather have the land department official place the chanote markers 2 meters inside what the neighbor thinks is his property while he's there to witness the measurement, or would you rather have him come home and deal with you personally?

Sound advice to wait until the chanote markers are in place, A relative put up a new fence along the paddy wall on some land my wife was in the process of buying. Turns out when the land is measured and the chanote markers in place the fence runs half a metre inside the boundry line.

Not an issue for anybody really, as currently grassland, but at some stage my wife says he has said he will move the fence to match the chanote markers. Looked like a cow had mistimed a jump and levelled some of it recently so maybe not too long before it is moved. :smile:

My advice, let your wife deal with it all. When the land office came to do the chanote measurement I stayed well away. After they left I got a quick guided tour with full explanation. From buying to confirmation measuring and new markers placed about 3 months.

Edited by 473geo

17 minutes ago, 473geo said:

From buying to confirmation measuring and new markers placed about 3 months.

Your land already have chanode deed, so 3 month only for do the Chanode mark...right? Sounds heavy....

6 minutes ago, Ron2 said:

Your land already have chanode deed, so 3 month only for do the Chanode mark...right? Sounds heavy....

My wife approached the land office for the chanote name change, they came viewed the land measured, came later and placed the markers and completed the chanote all took about 3 months  - no rush better to get it right :smile: they did

22 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

I did it, it cost 6,000 Baht and was done in a couple of days time

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

From buying to confirmation measuring and new markers placed about 3 months.

What is the secret or the key?

Edited by Ron2

3 minutes ago, Ron2 said:

What is the secret?

My wife. Depending on what the situation calls for when dealing with public officials, sometimes she is unctious and sometimes she kicks ass. Whatever gets them moving. She's also got about 200 "best friends" scattered throughout officialdom whose name can be dropped or called when necessary.

15 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

My wife. Depending on what the situation calls for when dealing with public officials, sometimes she is unctious and sometimes she kicks ass. Whatever gets them moving. She's also got about 200 "best friends" scattered throughout officialdom whose name can be dropped or called when necessary.

So in principle, the neighbors are just only a kind of "Viewer", not "Witness"....they get invitation to view but in fact, they can´t make Problems to the Land Office who do the Chanode mark...right?  

By the way....what Part of CM are you and your wife stay? :-D

1 minute ago, Ron2 said:

So in principle, the neighbors are just only a kind of "Viewer", not "Witness"....they get invitation to view but in fact, they can´t make Problems to the Land Office who do the Chanode mark...right?  

By the way....what Part of CM are you and your wife stay? :-D

Both you and your neighbors are merely viewers. It is an effort to be transparent about the outcome so neighbors don't raise hell with each other or the Land Department.

Our home is in Mae Hia but our land holdings are all in Mae Rim. We are currently residing in the states.

4 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Both you and your neighbors are merely viewers. It is an effort to be transparent about the outcome so neighbors don't raise hell with each other or the Land Department.

Our home is in Mae Hia but our land holdings are all in Mae Rim. We are currently residing in the states.

So, it´s up to land office to do it in 4 days or in 4 month. Other words.....Good "Medicine" can help to heal the sickness more fast.....i see.

7 hours ago, Ron2 said:

Because when they replace markers its easy to replace them a significant distance from current understanding, the GPS system they use are only accurate to 3 - 6 meters. 

One of the risks.

5 hours ago, Ron2 said:

Usually its a confirmation.. Everyone agrees.. 

As said beck on Phuket a land official for only pennies added a 3m grab over the neighbor resulting a greatly improved seaview plot and cutting off a large part of rear garden. 3m over an entire side when land is 10m plus a rai is a big deal. 

7 hours ago, Ron2 said:

To confirm their agreement that the markers are placed correctly/satisfactorily.  

Edited by Dante99

8 hours ago, Ron2 said:

As others have already said, it's a good idea to invite the neighbours to be there when the Land-Officer re-measures/marks the boundaries, firstly because it's the polite thing for a new-arrival in the area to do, and secondly because the boundary is also for their own land, although you're paying for the visit.

This can forestall any possibly future dispute.

For example my wife wanted to sell a few rai that she owns, nice plot by a lake-side with mountain-views (offers invited !  PM-me !) near Trang, and had found a buyer.  Then one of the neighbours took exception, because they realised that they'd lose the access they'd been using informally, onto their own neighbouring plot.  So they raised a complaint, and blocked the sale at the local Land-Office and, when they lost that they then complained that a bribe had been paid to the Land-Office, to obtain my wife's chanot.  The investigation has thrown a two-year spanner in the works, and of course the agreed-sale fell through.  Boundary disputes like this are worth avoiding, if possible !

Edited by Ricardo

19 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

No it hasn`t changed. At most times the authorities will turn a blind eye in situations like these, but get into any problems, Thai wife decides to shit on her Farlang husband from a great height, Thai wife dies, police decide to have another purge or neighbour disputes and then the Farlang has no jurisdiction or legal rights over any of it and it fact still has no jurisdiction or legal rights over the land anyway. He has to let his Thai wife deal with everything.

OP, I hope you read this post. YOU have no rights in Thailand ( when it comes down to it, regardless of the "law" ) and YOU can't own that land in any way. Even just paying for it is enough to see you in court.

Think carefully.

I guess you didn't know before, as you so casually mentioned that you were buying the land.