Monk out shopping for 'expensive foreign sausage" draws criticism

rooster59

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Maybe he's shopping for a sick person? 

In that case the pic is defaming him and he shouldn't accept that.

I'm sure he HAS seen this photo on the internet.  Hell, he's probably got a better phone/tablet than I do!  :biggrin:

2 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I assume that religion here will go the same way as in western Europe, where most of the young population are not interested in it any longer. In my country you only see old people in the churches, very few young ones.   

Hope springs eternal.

On 13/01/2018 at 8:05 AM, Just Weird said:

Why shouldn't they, if they were paying for it but who said it was imported?

Read initial post,

" Pictures of a monk out shopping for expensive imported products caused Thais online to wonder about the appropriateness of holy men in robes going out to supermarkets. "

I just found out from Thais I know that a monk I know by sight is doing a certain sort of business management and speculation. I'm sure it is true because I'm close to the situation. I mentioned it to a farang monk I know and he said leave it alone. People have told me the newspapers won't care. Strange situation.

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

It is rumoured that Thais like a bit of foreign sausage, given their sausages are reputed to be among the smallest in the World. 

As to the cost, your mileage may vary. 

Come on Father, that's truly a moronic post. 

16 hours ago, IvanLaw said:

Read initial post,

" Pictures of a monk out shopping for expensive imported products caused Thais online to wonder about the appropriateness of holy men in robes going out to supermarkets. "

Exactly  my point, it was a media report with no confirmation that it was expensive imported sausage and you clearly missed the emphasis in my comment. 

Most sausage in local supermarkets is not expensive and is hardly ever imported, most is made locally and given a foreign name.

On 13.1.2018 at 10:24 AM, Orton Rd said:

They are not even supposed to touch money or own anything other than robes and bowls, too many are hypocrites these days

I think that's why they hand over their wallet to the servicing persons, so they can finger the money out of it for them

Edited by crazygreg44

I think whether or not the sausage is imported is not the major issue here. According to the Buddhist Monastic Code:

- Monks are not allowed to procure their own food.

- Monks are not permitted to buy or sell products with money.

38 minutes ago, bubba said:

I think whether or not the sausage is imported is not the major issue here. According to the Buddhist Monastic Code:

- Monks are not allowed to procure their own food.

- Monks are not permitted to buy or sell products with money.

Yes, I wish people would focus on this too. Stop making excuses for the monks by arguing over the semantics of whether it was cheap local sausage or imported expensive sausage. 

However, monks have money, monks make money and why shouldn't he get some nice german sausages...or caviar ...

Just look around, how can they build every where new temples, just from the food they get while walking along the streets in the moring: SURE NOT

So that's monks life and behaviour in Thailand!

just bend your head down in front of them; maybe you can learn something