Canadian man being held against his will in Thailand, family says

Jonathan Fairfield

42 minutes ago, dpdp said:

Nowhere I see mentioned drug, they only talk about weed.

Anyway only stupid people believe that you go to jail in 2018 fr some weed.

He will be fined 2000 thb and be sent back home.

Sorry but you are mistaken, people do go to jail in Asia for weed. I forget what Schapelle Corby's sentence was for trying to smuggle weed into Bali but it was a long sentence. 

Only stupid people use or try to sell weed

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, dpdp said:

Nowhere I see mentioned drug, they only talk about weed.

Anyway only stupid people believe that you go to jail in 2018 fr some weed.

He will be fined 2000 thb and be sent back home.

Before we can render a verdict that will of course be ignored by the Thai courts we have to reconcile two facts. 

Police tend to charge (or more likely the prosecutor) based on facts that are available.  Two things that have been reported have to be reconciled for it to make sense.  

- He had in his possession a some (not alot) weed

- The charge is apparently distribution (according to the fundme thing).  

If the charge was based on just the "some amount of weed" in his possession it would not be a charge of distribution.  Overcharging is not the norm.  

We are obviously missing or are misinformed on something major to do with this story.  

If he attempts to (as the fundme site says) go after the police... it is likely he will see prison time...  his confession would not be accepted and no 50% reduction in sentence.  

If it is distribution then he could be here for a lengthy stay.  

Hard to tell what will happen at this point.

5 hours ago, Idiotabroad said:

The thing is, that there IS a legal process and people do have rights.

Typically with a marijuana bust the officers involved will tell the people that they can goto jail for 10 years and pay hundreds of thousands of baht in order to scare the person into paying a bribe, usually 50k - 200k depending on how many officers are involved.

What most people don't know that the reality of a tourist getting busted with a bit of cannabis really is a slap on the wrist. Most cases involve paying a fine of 1500-10,000 baht and they send the tourists on their way, often times not even blacklisting them.

The only real problem is that they can't leave the country until their court date and that can take up to 90 days I believe.

I have been here for over 20 years and I have had many people I know get busted with cannabis and it is the exact same process every time.

This kid panicked and called his friends, his friends panicked and called the media.

Exactly ! And there is nothing else to say, but so many people on this forum who know nothing keep talking, so funny !

13 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Sorry but you are mistaken, people do go to jail in Asia for weed. I forget what Schapelle Corby's sentence was for trying to smuggle weed into Bali but it was a long sentence. 

Only stupid people use or try to sell weed

I am talking about weed possession and use.

And I am talking about Thailand, not retarded Singapore, Indonesia or Malaysia.

Nobody goes to jail for 3 joints in Thailand, this is clear and definitive.

Of course it is not distribution, but I wonder why things are so difficult for you to understand !?

Edited by dpdp

9 hours ago, billybog said:

Been going to thailand now for 21 years and have never had a problem other than a traffic ticket. A man traveling alone is no problem. These people act like this person was set up, I doubt that very much. he was stupid thinking he could use drugs while in thailand and it would be ok. Just looking at the pic...seems like a typical entitled punk, and he got caught. The family is either in denial, or just probably trying to get sympathy. I surely hope no one is stupid enough to send these idiots any money. Enjoy your stay in jail....maybe when you get out, you will be a bit smarter.

I don't know how you can see all that in a couple pictures - to me he just looks like your average young person... nothing more nothing less.  

Getting involved with drugs in a foreign country,  especially in SE Asia - is extremely stupid.  I just hope he learns from this experience.  Yes, he "could have" been setup -- but just because he could of been setup does not mean he is not guilty as sin.  I don't think anything is gained from a prison sentence -- especially if it is his first offence.   

1 minute ago, dpdp said:

I am talking about weed possession and use.

And I am talking about Thailand, not retarded Singapore or Malaysia.

Nobody goes to jail for 3 joints in Thailand, this is clear and definitive.

I think you are using too much weed because he has been charged with "distribution" and Thailand still carries the death penalty for trafficking drugs including weed.

Well no time for crying you do the crime you do the time and if did took his chances at doing drug or moving drug well he deserve a good room in the thai jail and the good rooms and food hahaha.

Have a good holiday in hell.

12 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I think you are using too much weed because he has been charged with "distribution" and Thailand still carries the death penalty for trafficking drugs including weed.

His sister has said he has decided to plead guilty for "distribution". (gofundme).  

15 hours ago, Dave67 said:

“We couldn’t believe that in any way this would be cops. Because it doesn’t make any sense to us,” 

That's the problem the cops are the robbers in Thailand and people don't realise or are accustom to it

Just in Thailand? :post-4641-1156694572:

14 minutes ago, XBroker said:
15 hours ago, Dave67 said:

That's the problem the cops are the robbers in Thailand and people don't realise or are accustom to it

Just in Thailand? :post-4641-1156694572:

Well in America, they are not robbers...they are killers.

Two sides to every story The Canadian side we have now heard lets hear from the Thai side They must of put him jail for something? I dont know about you good people if i go somewhere i dont seem to run into trouble but some people when they go somewhere always seem to attract trouble ( Like drunken disorderly, no respect for there laws regarding temples, graffiti, getting into fights etc My advice if you come to Thailand for a holiday go have fun and keep your nose clean

12 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I must be daft because I read two sentences ... one stating that basically if you plead guilty your sentence is halved.  That was easy to understand.  The next sentence fragment (it is not a sentence as such I interpret it to be poorly written English that this is not a separate thought but part of the first sentence of the same paragraph).  "Doesn't make you a criminal".   So the only way I see this to be made whole with anything of context is to really combine it with the first sentence -- which effectively takes 

"Plead guilty and your sentence is halved. Doesn't make you a criminal." 

and becomes:

"[If you] plead guilty your sentence is halved"  [conjunction] "doesn't make you a criminal".

or "If you plead guilty your sentence is halved [and / which] doesn't make you a criminal."

Sorry if I am too daft to read it the way you want.

You can twist my words around till the cows come home . My statement stands. (I aint worried about me english on hear. Coulda been worsa)

On 1/14/2018 at 8:27 AM, tonray said:

How is it that so many people live long term in Thailand and never experience any sort of drama like kidnapping, or go missing, or whatever ?

My guess is that less than stable people come to Thailand and end up in all sorts of predicaments because their inherent behaviors are suspect to start with.

I hope there is a positive outcome but I doubt there is a gang of uniformed guys holding foreigners hostage for ransom.

These unstable people come in on 30 day visa exempt status and abuse the system.  I don't see anything wrong with an instant internet background search on visitors.  The software and systems are in place for most of the western countries.   I had to do my own background and criminal search for my one year visa and turn it in to the consulate with govt. stamp.  It takes them about 4 minutes at the local police station finished while you pay the fee!  I think just knowing that a background check would take place would turn back a lot of druggies and weirdos and once the word got out they would stop coming here.

8 minutes ago, keithpa said:

You can twist my words around till the cows come home . My statement stands. (I aint worried about me english on hear. Coulda been worsa)

Believe me, it was not an intentional twisting of words - it was/is how it read to me.  There was an in-depth translation by someone else which I will take as the intent of your sentence for now.  I don't generally nitpick about grammar or spelling -- unless I have problems with the comprehension of it.

5 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

These unstable people come in on 30 day visa exempt status and abuse the system.  I don't see anything wrong with an instant internet background search on visitors.  The software and systems are in place for most of the western countries.   I had to do my own background and criminal search for my one year visa and turn it in to the consulate with govt. stamp.  It takes them about 4 minutes at the local police station finished while you pay the fee!  I think just knowing that a background check would take place would turn back a lot of druggies and weirdos and once the word got out they would stop coming here.

so if a guy has a dui or has been busted for a joint they shouldn t be allowed into Thailand?   

and do you think your google search will provide much information on the largest group of visitors, the chinese?

do you relly feel smoking a joint make you "unstable" but sitting on a bar stool all day chugging chang is far superior?

Edited by isaanbanhou

7 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

I don't think it is a problem with "unstable people".  A lot of people who go on vacation -- seem to bring along their youthful feeling of invulnerability -- and get into trouble by doing things they would not do at home.... Sort of inline with line "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas".  In this case, the individual probably did do what he did at home.  Any respectable seasoned tourist (or long stay) individual is more likely go to go great pains to understand the local legal gotchas, the local morals and how not to offend the local population.  In this case it is a matter of what happens in Thailand stays in Thailand, but he did not take into consideration staying in Thailand in a prison.  Unfortunately, a lot of that information is protected for citizens privacy reasons from being accessed by other immigration systems.  It would be nice if there were some international agreement, clearing system that had a standard and could return criminal record search information to the immigration at port of entry.  This would allow the systems to do lookups and matches while you are in the air and have it ready for immigration on arrival.  Of course we don't even know if this type of search would have turned back the person in question.  On the other hand random internet searches would be extremely error prone, matching to the wrong person (I am rare having a unique name that would narrow me down to one of two people), but many names bring up lots of people.   

16 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

so if a guy has a dui or has been busted for a joint they shouldn t be allowed into Thailand?   

That would be up to Thai Immigration.  The second part can get you banned entry from the US until you get a pardon (which is a US pardon -- not your home country).  I would not be surprised if a DUI would as well.  Personally, if someone has a DUI -- I take that more seriously than the drug issue you raised.  I don't want someone with an utter disrespect for the lives of other people who are driving on the roads.  At the minimum I would stamp their passport with a big red ugly octagon that read that regardless of international drivers license -- he is forbidden from driving in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

That would be up to Thai Immigration.  The second part can get you banned entry from the US until you get a pardon (which is a US pardon -- not your home country).  I would not be surprised if a DUI would as well.  Personally, if someone has a DUI -- I take that more seriously than the drug issue you raised.  I don't want someone with an utter disrespect for the lives of other people who are driving on the roads.  At the minimum I would stamp their passport with a big red ugly octagon that read that regardless of international drivers license -- he is forbidden from driving in Thailand.

I don't want someone with an utter disrespect for the lives of other people who are driving on the roads. 

I take it you don t drive in Thailand then,  with so many Thai drunks on the road.

You are entitle to your opnion, but if you want Thailand just like home, why not turn the heat up in your home and stay in Canada?  Or visist America with there draconian drug laws. 

And do you really think a google search will reveal all about the chinese?

Edited by isaanbanhou

2 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

I don't want someone with an utter disrespect for the lives of other people who are driving on the roads. 

I take it you don t drive in Thailand then.  

I don't drive in Thailand.  It is a local problem, and one that needs to be cracked down on -- which there has been some movement on.  We still don't need foreign drunk slobs added to the road in addition to the local problem. Less not more.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

8 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

What if they smoke weed and drive ? Even though to be honest most Thai drivers already seem like they do ...