Cheap robot vacuum cleaners any good?

edwardandtubs

Robotics is  certainly likely to be the next  major field to explode with development in the coming years, but that being said, I'd tend to question how durable a few thousand baht robot vac would hold up and work.

I'd be curious as to your results as I'd also like an easy  and reliable cleaning solution.

21 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Gimmick. Battery operated insufficient suction.

If you have all tiled floors without obstacles it might be OK but then so is two minutes with a dustpan and brush!

Actually there are plenty of test of the more expensive brands and those work well.. clue.. they don't use suction as much as brushes. I would not know how the cheap ones rate.

I did a lot of research in these things and some are quite good but you pay for what you get. Its cheaper to get a maid here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2018 at 9:09 AM, denby45 said:

I bought a Bosche Move cordless vacuum cleaner (14.4V) because I liked the idea of mobility without the trailing cord. It was never really great to start with and didn't have much suction power. Now after about 6 months it is for the garbage heap. I would say "It Sucks" but in this case it doesn't if you get my meaning. The battery is completely useless and I cannot find a way to replace the same. If you buy one of those cheap robot machines then I suppose you are going to face the same thing eventually.

I am now contemplating buying one of those very expensive centrifugal machines however the missus is a cheap Charlie so maybe I would be Dyson with death.

Den

As a follow up to this mail. I found out that I can buy a replacement battery for approx 5,000 baht. So I guess based on the longevity of these batteries it works out at roughly 10,000 a year.

You can guess what I told them.

Den

Edited by denby45
  • Like 1

I looked at a YouTube video of one and it drifted away from the wall and didn't look like it was doing much good with the corners so I think you either have to pay the money for a decent robotic one or get one of those normal vacuum cleaners that can also give the floor wet clean.

I have one in Australia. Was bought as a present. I am going to purchase another here and it looks like I will buy through Lazada as can't beat the price. The robot is a go between vacuum's. It will clean but it will miss the toothpick you deliberately throw on the floor but will pick up the something you did not see until you empty the tray and see what it has done. Don't go for top model stuff if you decide to buy one. After many hours of watching mine go around and around and around and around... They are random in their tracking but keep doing the same thing!!!.. It is not like they have Space Shuttle  technology with finding toothpicks. I have nothing to do with them but I am looking at buying a Mr Robot-Robust 3,990bht on Lazada for the simple reason it will not fall over the edge of steps. Two outside floor brushes are a bonus as these have more chance of getting that farking toothpick.... They do work but like I say it is an interim between human vacuum's.

I don't want to spend 10,000 baht on one but Lazada has them for a couple of thousand baht. Anyone used one of these? Are they any good? I mainly want them for hoovering up body hair, which is such a hassle to sweep up. 
I stick my wife in the bath and give her a fully body shave once a week. Problem solved
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried one....and it was a more expensive one, in fact tried 2, problem was my area was to big for them to handle, there not much chop open plan houses like we have in AU, should be fine for a condo or Thai house, one room job, mine seemed to get out of range from base and loose there way, sister has one not expensive works well in one medium size room..

The other annoying fact with them is they have a small catchment area for the rubbish its picking up...you do need to keep your eye on that, in the end i wouldn't bother with it even now ive moved to a smaller home...

I bought a "Mr. Robot" one from Lazada for about 6,000~ and I'm very happy with it. It is very noisy but that doesn't matter as I set it to run automatically everyday while I'm at work. My floors are always clean. The only downside which I'm sure I'm not the first to mention is wires, they can no longer be on the floor, or anything else that might be laying on the floor. I've come home a couple of times to discover it hasn't made it's way home and is in the middle of the room chewing a half eaten pair of underwear.

I'd be very skeptical of a roomba clone that's only 1k.   I mean... I've eaten at buffets that cost more than that. Mind you, it was a damn good buffet... but still..    I guess you could try it,  but  I think this is going to be along the lines of you get what you pay for. 

Check Xiaomi . I live with a cat and am happy with a recent purchase of a this robot. This is best vacuum for long hair . It cleans up the hair and litter and if I ran it daily it keeps the dirt at minimum and by doing so keeps the dirt at a point the device can handle. I doubt it can clean a house with out the need to empty it often. Bottom line saved me a lot of broom work and freed up my time. 

I bet the cat has a hay-day with it!
  • Haha 2

On 8/21/2018 at 3:43 AM, rwdrwdrwd said:

They are dreadful, loud, and take far too long to do the job ineptly.

Are you not supposed to put them on when you go out....so you don't hear the noise and if you are out for a couple of hours..............

we bought a cheap one about 2000 baht last year from lazada, works ok about a 20 min charge, we have just upgraded to a 3900 baht 'homie' again from lazada, this one returns to base for a meal, comes with a remote, seems ok, no vacuum just brushes and a cloth, can add some water to a tank., it doesn't replace the maid (wife), but keeps her happy and keeps the dust and hairs ( not mine they all went years ago) at bay, noise well it will not burst the eardrums, 

I bought a robot cleaner from HomePro a few years ago, and it was useless.

Entirely my fault as I hadn't taken into consideration the various downward steps/ledges/difficulty in obtaining replacement 'cleaning cloths'.  It also tended to get 'stuck' in corners...

But from reading this thread it sounds as if they've improved enormously, and may be worth looking at again.