Trump says 'I'm not a racist,' willing to reach deal on DACA

webfact

Trump says 'I'm not a racist,' willing to reach deal on DACA

2018-01-15T010713Z_1_LYNXMPEE0E01Q_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks upon arrival for dinner at his golf club in West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., January 14, 2018. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that he is "not a racist" despite reports of his derogatory comments about immigrants from Haiti and Africa, adding that he was "ready, willing and able" to reach a deal to protect immigrants brought to the United States as children.

Asked by a reporter in Florida whether he was a racist following reports that he said immigrants from Haiti and Africa were from "shithole countries" in a closed-door meeting with lawmakers, Trump said: "No. I'm not a racist. I'm the least racist person you will ever interview."

(Reporting by Steve Holland; Writing by David Lawder; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-15

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Trump said: "No. I'm not a racist. I'm the least racist person you will ever interview."

Does anyone seriously believe that for even a fraction of a second? I am stunned that dumb as he is, he can be dumb enough to say that and think anyone is stupid enough to swallow it.

In another thread, Donny John just stated "he would end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA" but in this thread he states "ready, willing and able to reach a deal". So which is the truth? When can we actually trust anything that he states?

So when Donny John says "No. I'm not a racist. I'm the least racist person you will ever interview." how can we believe him? He has absolutely no credibility. He debates with and contradicts himself over the FISA act in back to back tweets.

I don't trust him here nor there.

I don't trust him anywhere.

No, I don't not trust him that Donny John.

This Compilation Highlights the 2,000 Lies Trump Has Told in Office

http://www.complex.com/life/2018/01/compilation-2000-lies-donald-trump-told-in-office

Edited by Silurian

28 minutes ago, daoyai said:

I don't see him as racist, the charge is often made against him without evidence. I am willing to change my opinion, convince me.

There are Trump fans who will make excuses for him, no matter what.  Trump said it himself with the 'I can shoot somebody on 5th avenue and won't lose any fans' statement.

Trump can say whatever he wants in private, but in his public role as prez, he should have the maturity to know what not to say.  Even a 5 year old knows that.  Even if he's not a racist, it's the APPEARANCES and the EFFECTS of he says that will have denigrating reverberations for the USA for generations.   For starters, Trump's idiotic mouth farts will tarnish US relations (biz and diplomatic) with African countries and Haiti.

A Haitian-American woman was interviewed yesterday.  She and her parents are Republican and voted for Trump.  No more.  She's the first Haitian-American voted in to Congress.  She tried valiantly to burnish Trump's stupid character, but wound up admitting the truth: "he's a racist."  But again, it's the repercussions of his idiotic mouth farts which will hurt America and the feelings of dark-skinned Americans - .....mostly younger generations.

If I was in a position of political power in the US, I would do all I could to instill feelings of self-confidence (and moral decency) in youngsters.  Trump does the opposite.

Edited by boomerangutang

1 hour ago, daoyai said:

I don't see him as racist, the charge is often made against him without evidence. I am willing to change my opinion, convince me.

Do you really want evidence?  Well here's some....

[Trump's extensive history -- from his continued condemnation of the wrongly convicted Central Park Five, to his business' record of housing discrimination and his involvement in the birther movement that tried to delegitimize our first black president -- represents a pattern of facts that clearly illuminate his racist views and beliefs.]

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/14/opinions/trump-shithole-say-the-words-jeff-yang-opinion/index.html

There are plenty of other evidence, but I'm sure you'll choose to ignore it.  But it doesn't matter.  Trump is a racist.

The glaring contradiction that I see is Trump's claim that he's not afraid to "tell it like it is."  So why doesn't the coward-in-chief just come out and say that he's a racist? 

2 minutes ago, daoyai said:

^^^ I am not a "Trump fan" he is what he is but have yet to see him as "racist" .. I am still waiting for specific evidence.  The above post does not offer any evidence.

Well, let's analyze it a little.   The continent he selected and the other country, Haiti, are predominantly black.   The country he said he wants immigrants from, Norway, is whiter than the Arctic snow.    The illegals he is deporting are almost exclusively brown skinned people.   

His remarks were racist and he made no attempt to apologize or rephrase them.   

All the Trump nonsense aside this whole thing raises an interesting question. It seems to be the conventional wisdom that anyone who utters the words "I am not a racist" is in fact a racist. Just curious, is the reverse also true? Does anyone who claims to being a racist personally, are they given a pass because they couldn't possibly be a racist?

11 minutes ago, daoyai said:

^^^ I am not a "Trump fan" he is what he is but have yet to see him as "racist" .. I am still waiting for specific evidence.  The above post does not offer any evidence.

have you heard of self serve?  you actually do something yourself.    If you are truly open minded and know how to use a computer there is 100's of topics you could learn about, maybe even more than 100s.

if you want poster's to bring there opinions and facts to you and then you sit in judgement.  You really won t have learnt anything .

9 minutes ago, daoyai said:

Its not racism but if you stand on something high you can see it. He is not singling out people based on their DNA, so technically not racism. He does however single out people based on Ethnicity, religion, country of birth, continent of birth etc. 

Maybe xenophobia or bigotry.

20 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

All the Trump nonsense aside this whole thing raises an interesting question. It seems to be the conventional wisdom that anyone who utters the words "I am not a racist" is in fact a racist. Just curious, is the reverse also true? Does anyone who claims to being a racist personally, are they given a pass because they couldn't possibly be a racist?

This thread is about Trump, so not sure why you're bringing up hypotheticals.  There's ample evidence in Trump's life history that clearly shows him to be a racist.  Trump also has a long history of blatantly lying, so his claim that he's not racist can't be taken seriously.  

20 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I use the 'n' word, but I wouldn't use it in a public forum.  I use it much the way a black person would, tho I'm not black.  

I'd love to see you use the "n" word around say 125th St, NYC. I suspect you would find out how offensive blacks would find it.

Danish not Norwegian I take it

14 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

This thread is about Trump, so not sure why you're bringing up hypotheticals.  There's ample evidence in Trump's life history that clearly shows him to be a racist.  Trump also has a long history of blatantly lying, so his claim that he's not racist can't be taken seriously.  

I brought it up because the poster who claimed "I am not a racist" caught hell from a reply that implied that because he said that he must be a de facto racist. It is not the first time I've seen it either. It seems to be the go to response to someone stating that about themselves.

Putting aside the question as to whether it is diplomatic for any world leader to be publically calling a sovereign nation, or an entire continent, a "shithole", we're still left with the fact that he lumps all citizens of these nations as being "shithole" people.  He didn't say "we're open to good people from all nations, no matter what state those nations are in, and similarly will keep out the bad, irrespective of their nationality", he actually said he doesn't want anyone from a "shithole" country, and made it clear just what he meant.  "Bad" = black nation, "good" = white European nation.  Add his remarks following Charlottesville, the whole "Birther" issue, the statement that Mexican immigrants are rapists, and the lawsuit against Trump Property for racist housing policies, and the evidence would suggest that he is (yet again) lying when he says he's not a racist.

55 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

I'd love to see you use the "n" word around say 125th St, NYC. I suspect you would find out how offensive blacks would find it.

Are you suggesting that the Harlem POCs lack self control and would turn violent towards  him if he used a word they claim as theirs ?  ...... you be racist bro?

4 minutes ago, daoyai said:

Are you suggesting that the Harlem POCs lack self control and would turn violent towards  him if he used a word they claim as theirs ?  ...... you be racist bro?

No , not at all.  I think that he would likely get the opportunity see how a black man feels about cultural appropriation.

And after he saw the error in his ways , he could go to the Amatuer Hour  at the Appollo Theatre and enjoy his afternoon.

9 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

No , not at all.  I think that he would likely get the opportunity see how a black man feels about cultural appropriation.

And after he saw the error in his ways , he could go to the Amatuer Hour  at the Appollo Theatre and enjoy his afternoon.

He could even join the act.  As the human colander.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Its not racism but if you stand on something high you can see it. He is not singling out people based on their DNA, so technically not racism. He does however single out people based on Ethnicity, religion, country of birth, continent of birth etc. 

Maybe xenophobia or bigotry.

Or stupidity.... don’t forget that one.

4 hours ago, daoyai said:

You might want to start by googling the federal race discrimination probe into he and his father and then work forward from there.

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

surely you can tell the truth without having a leftist label stuck on you ?

I agree 

and this time the truth is that he is a racist!

I also believe that when he says he is not a racist, he honestly believes that he is not. Most , if not all, racists do not  Think  they are  Racist!

6 hours ago, daoyai said:

he doesn't want Africans (black) in the country but people from Norway (white). Do you get it now or still not convinced?  

6 hours ago, daoyai said:

You've made it through a year of Trump's campaigning and a year of his presidency and haven't seen any evidence of racism?  Sometimes I wish I were that disconnected from current events.