Thailand no longer "notorious" for pirated goods as tag removed by US

webfact

Thailand no longer "notorious" for pirated goods as tag removed by US

5pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Thai officials are patting themselves on the back after it was revealed that the country no longer has any "notorious markets" for fake and pirated goods.

The assessment comes from the United States Trade Representatives' (USTR) group who Manager said have also removed the country from the Priority Watch List (PWL) for countries involved in piracy. This was on December 15th of last year.

Sonthirat Sonthijirawong, the chief of the Commerce Ministry, said that for the first time in ten years Thailand is not considered to have even one notorious market.

Previously in the period from 2007-2016 Thailand had up to 13 places in the notorious category. They included Panthip Plaza, Jatujak, Upper Sukhumvit and Patpong and MBK in Bangkok, IT City in Pattaya, the Rong Klua market in the Sa Kaew border area and the Karon and Patong areas of Phuket.

MBK center - still on the list in 2016 - was the last to be removed in 2017.

The Thai authorities under pressure from the US have been striving over the last decade to improve the country's image in regards to piracy and fake products.

Sonthirat said that 700 cases had been pursued in 2017 with many arrests and seizures of products.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-16

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I walk through MBK several times a week to get to my gym. Believe me there was fake stuff yesterday! About 7 floors of it. How the hell could that place be taken off the list?  Yes there are some real rolexes ( usually used) but that place is a fake factory! 

I couldn't find 'decent' Fake Handbags or Fake Football shirts in MBK before Christmas..... 

I've no idea if this was temporary or not...  but by no means has the industry been diminished - just perhaps cleaned up a little in the most public of areas. 

All the fakes can be found on Instagram sites. 

10 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Good to hear that something moves for the better. Of course you can still find pirated goods, but that you can do in all countries. At least better that it ain´t so stuck up your nose no more.

images.jpg

Good God, this is how Thailand thinks?!  They never were "notorious" for fake goods. Did they have a lot of fakes  .. yep ... Do they have a lot  ... yep. Are they going to get pissy when Taylor Swift comes to town and says she wants to buy a fake Rolex a la Lady Gaga .... yep

Only difference is Humpty Dumpty is now in charge and doesn't care what previous administrations have said or done. When Humpty takes a big fall the next administration will put them right back on "The List" again, natch.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, LivinginKata said:

But surely you could have sat on your life jacket :shock1: 

1 hour ago, Lingba said:

my thoughts exactly...or how much did it cost Thailand in tea money to get labeled with a green light?

The USA needs support against China or Korea me thinks.

Those soccershirts and handbags are on every market in the subs.

3 hours ago, Thian said:

That's funny cause i see it on every market i visit...

I wouldn't worry about it! When you're in New York and other big cities..... you go into the big fancy store and tell the sales person you want that Expensive Rolex there in the window and he says that will be $1,000. But you tell him the man on the corner right over there says he can sell me it to me for $100. That's just the way it is in the USA also! If you ever see a picture of our USPorts with all the shipping containers that don't seem to move, those are just all the fakes of everything coming in to be inspected..... ????

Edited by jmacken306

Wife was lacing up a brand new pair of hi-top, Converse brand trainers last week as we were leaving the house, headed to Immigration.  Asked me to guess how much she paid for them.  She loves this game.

I stared at them for a moment.  "Hell, I don't know.... 350 Baht?"

As usual, she smiled broadly and replied, "150 Baht!  Hee Hee Hee!".

She wore them to the Immigration Police office where the Immigration Police Sergeant helping us was wearing a knock-off Guess brand wrist watch, entering my genuine passport details into the computer running boot leg Windows software.  :laugh:

43 minutes ago, jmacken306 said:

I wouldn't worry about it! When you're in New York and other big cities..... you go into the big fancy store and tell the sales person you want that Expensive Rolex there in the window and he says that will be $1,000. But you tell him the man on the corner right over there says he can sell me it to me for $100. That's just the way it is in the USA also! If you ever see a picture of our USPorts with all the shipping containers that don't seem to move, those are just all the fakes of everything coming in to be inspected..... ????

Strange man, when you go my country which has a much larger port (Rotterdam) there is no fake to be found or it gets confisticated by the customs.

And if you want a Rolex you better bring 5000+ euro or there's nothing to be bought at all.

The fake Rolexes come from Thailand/China but even mr Prawit is a cheapo with his 1 million baht watches since in Swiss they sell much more expensive ones. Loads of Chinese there shopping those from chinese staff in the shops in Luzern.