This club in a 5-star Bangkok hotel advertised their ‘Sexy Black Party’ with blackface

snoop1130

This club in a 5-star Bangkok hotel advertised their ‘Sexy Black Party’ with blackface

By Coconuts Bangkok

tyhttgy.JPG

A portion of the offensive ad. Source: Everything Bangkok/Facebook

The latest Thai business to make a racist marketing mistake by employing blackface is a fledgling Sukhumvit-area club and their ill-conceived ad for an upcoming “Sexy Black Party.”

Thankfully, Club SX, inside the Pullman Bangkok Grande Sukhumvit hotel, realized its mistake with the graphic for their “Sexy Black Party” and quickly removed the offensive ad after it was pointed out. It’s unclear if the party has been canceled.

The event was supposed to take place on Friday and have a black and gold dress code.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/club-5-star-bangkok-hotel-advertised-sexy-black-party-blackface/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-1-16

Thailand is brutally naive to race issues....  That said common sense is all too often knee-capped by political correctness.

In this Ad I see blundering error where professionals should have known better, not because their advertisement is wrong, but because it provides fuel to those on the fringes of logic who's political correctness cannot be publicly debated for fear of aggravating the genuine issues at hand. 

More recently we have observed H&M (clothing) lambasted by public in South Africa after their 'coolest monkey' hoodie ('coolest monkey in the jungle) - where stores were trashed by offended hooligans members of the public, because of their outrage at a seeming racist item of clothing, yet those same folk are like to be fine with calling their child a 'cheeky little monkey'....

PC gone mad - its the world we live in, but sometimes I feel the pendulum has swung too far beyond balance and the voice of common sense has been silenced by a handful of politically correct extremists with a chip on their shoulder. 

-------

There really is not a great deal wrong with this Advert - Would Caucasian people (or pale skinned Thai's) be upset if the same Advertisement appeared with 'Sexy White party' ???? or would be we likely to see the very same Politically Correct activists also upset at this claiming racism?

Racism is an issue in many areas of the world, but I hate to see the real argument and fight against racism watered down with such stupidity. 

correct me if I am wrong,but I think this ''blackface ''term is referring to a trendy,movment in the west ...where some caucasions,have painted their faces black ,in a form of protest?..although this may just be a photo of a woman with a black face,promoting a party where dress code is black..I want to know, who pointed out ,the said ''racial ''error .

Edited by mok199

3 minutes ago, thrilled said:

You need to remember this isn’t the US.This sort of thing is ok in Thailand.

agreed.....I just hope the out of control PC'ism back home,wont arrive in Thailand in my lifetime..were a tastfull photo of a woman with a blackface is used as a weapon .to create a debate which creates a greater divide...we are all just people trying to find our way on this planet earth...stop the divisions

Baa baa black sheep have you any wool ... yes sir yes sir three bags full  ...

I for one am sick of the PC and racist mob.  It's gone crazy .....   !!     :shock1:

good on the hotel .... pity they stopped it ..

Edited by steven100

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

More recently we have observed H&M (clothing) lambasted by public in South Africa after their 'coolest monkey' hoodie ('coolest monkey in the jungle) - where stores were trashed by offended hooligans members of the public, because of their outrage at a seeming racist item of clothing, yet those same folk are like to be fine with calling their child a 'cheeky little monkey'....

PC gone mad - its the world we live in, but sometimes I feel the pendulum has swung too far beyond balance and the voice of common sense has been silenced by a handful of politically correct extremists with a chip on their shoulder. 

PC went overboard and it is crazy! Mother of h&m model in 'racist' monkey hoodie tells people to 'get over it' and faces racial abuse in return...

Mother of H&M model in 'racist' monkey hoodie tells people to 'get over it'
Mom faces racial abuse

:mad:

49 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Racist? Drawing a long bow on this one. Here's a question, if one goes to a fancy dress party, and has non white skin, and dresses as Michael Jackson by lightening one's skin, who gets to be offended? No one or everyone?

There is always someone... This PC has gone truly mad and here's an example.

Students Were Offended By a Play That Mocks Political Correctness, So Brandeis Cancelled It

I need to add this:
How To Get Offended - Ultra Spiritual Life episode 52

Edited by FinChin67

3 minutes ago, FinChin67 said:

There is always someone... This PC has gone truly mad and here's an example.

Students Were Offended By a Play That Mocks Political Correctness, So Brandeis Cancelled It

Great story, thanks for the link. Interesting that in the story it states that Lenny Bruce says repeated use of the "n word" will render it powerless. That is exactly how I view the word "racist" now, people are being called racist for the slightest, most ridiculous reasons, so now I am, "yeah you think I'm racist, that's fine with me."

its getting very confusing we now have protests,protesting protests which are protesting a protest......thank god Thailand is out in front of the gender issues  Ka is a woman and Crap is male..

Edited by mok199

1 minute ago, mok199 said:

its getting very confusing we now have protests,protesting protests which are protesting a protest....

I simply must protest about your post.

It offends me as it infringes my human rights, & diminishes my spiritual aura....

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

50 minutes ago, Remus1830 said:

But its ok for the police to go black hunting and imigration and advertise the fact they are targetting blacks only on certain raids .In Thailand the only political correctness is that the government are never wrong.

If I were a chief of Police and in charge of these raids I would do the same. If I have hard facts that certain type of people are committing crimes I would definitely target that group of people. It would be efficient and would not cause problem or nuisance for people that are not involved in those crimes. Because of idiotic PC's and SJW's resources are wasted. Luckily Thailand is still in charge of what happens inside it's borders.

Addition: In China in one of the big cities where there are lot of foreigners (european, americans, africans (and the part where they usually live is called "chocolate town", middle eastern etc.) police targeted ALL in a 3 week period. All the apartment blocks were checked and manned to check for visas and work permits. Everybody not having their ID or papers in order where rounded up and deported. I had no problem with that and it was long overdue. What would you call that? "Other people hunting" ?

Edited by FinChin67

Purple, Pink, White, Green, Polka-Dot... if the intent is not to appropriate or cause offence, why should we be offended?

Not to mention that in a country that is obsessed with white skin, promoting the beauty of other colours can surely only be a good thing.

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thailand is brutally naive to race issues....  That said common sense is all too often knee-capped by political correctness.

In this Ad I see blundering error where professionals should have known better, not because their advertisement is wrong, but because it provides fuel to those on the fringes of logic who's political correctness cannot be publicly debated for fear of aggravating the genuine issues at hand. 

-------

There really is not a great deal wrong with this Advert - Would Caucasian people (or pale skinned Thai's) be upset if the same Advertisement appeared with 'Sexy White party' ???? or would be we likely to see the very same Politically Correct activists also upset at this claiming racism?

Racism is an issue in many areas of the world, but I hate to see the real argument and fight against racism watered down with such stupidity. 

Naivety to race issues. That is the problem isn't it?

Would this discussion not be so much better if people bothered to find out why blackface is offensive to black people ? Your question, "Would Caucasian people (or pale skinned Thai's) be upset if the same Advertisement appeared with 'Sexy White party' ????" displays, ironically, the same brutal naivety that you attribute to Thailand in your opening sentence. Blackness is not a mask that black people can wear and take off whenever they want. Blackface has long been used to mock, ridicule and caricaturize black people. 

It is easy for a forum of predominantly white people to see nothing offensive in blackface, but that doesn't change the reality and the history of blackface. 

"The ability to be ignorant, to be unaware of the history and consequences of racial bigotry, to simply do as one pleases, is a quintessential element of privilege. The ability to disparage, to demonize, to ridicule, and to engage in racially hurtful practices from the comfort of one's segregated neighborhoods and racially homogeneous schools reflects both privilege and power. The ability to blame others for being oversensitive, for playing the race card, or for making much ado about nothing are privileges codified structurally and culturally." - David Leonard.

I do not need to be an African American to appreciate why blackface is offensive to some.

I think people are too sensitive nowadays. But given the changing society, people should be more aware of what they do as well. In this example, a better ad would have just adorn the face with black crystals instead of painting the face black.

But given that its Thailand most Thais are not sensitive enough to racial issues. It was just today on 107FM when the vj were discussing about the H&M issue. They didn't see whats wrong with the kid wearing the shirt, they said in Thailand people describe the kids as monkeys all the time. Its already in the news, yet these vj don't see what was wrong and why some people were upset. Not sure if they were blind, ignorant, or plain stupid.

34 minutes ago, Ochomo said:

Naivety to race issues. That is the problem isn't it?

Would this discussion not be so much better if people bothered to find out why blackface is offensive to black people ? Your question, "Would Caucasian people (or pale skinned Thai's) be upset if the same Advertisement appeared with 'Sexy White party' ????" displays, ironically, the same brutal naivety that you attribute to Thailand in your opening sentence. Blackness is not a mask that black people can wear and take off whenever they want. Blackface has long been used to mock, ridicule and caricaturize black people. 

It is easy for a forum of predominantly white people to see nothing offensive in blackface, but that doesn't change the reality and the history of blackface. 

"The ability to be ignorant, to be unaware of the history and consequences of racial bigotry, to simply do as one pleases, is a quintessential element of privilege. The ability to disparage, to demonize, to ridicule, and to engage in racially hurtful practices from the comfort of one's segregated neighborhoods and racially homogeneous schools reflects both privilege and power. The ability to blame others for being oversensitive, for playing the race card, or for making much ado about nothing are privileges codified structurally and culturally." - David Leonard.

I do not need to be an African American to appreciate why blackface is offensive to some.

Fair point, however, this isn't a 'Black Face' Party... the advertisement was for 'Sexy Black Party'.... 

Hence my argument that Politically Correct Activists are looking for racism where none may exist. 

This is perhaps not a 'race' issue... its an 'excuse to protest' issue, where some are tripping over themselves to become offended by the slightest slight. 

Thank-you for the suggestion to research the history of Blackface - my 'White Privilege' may well have blinded me to issues which do not appear racist on the surface, but one could certainly 'dig out' offense if they tried hard enough.

I do see how 'Black-Face' images (think Minstrel) may be offensive and such depictions can upset, but I suspect in this case the 'upset' may be a little 'faux' and somewhat of a Politically Correct over reaction which waters down genuine issues.