Police checkpoint blamed for accident as Malaysian "big bike" tourist dies in South

webfact

Police checkpoint blamed for accident as Malaysian "big bike" tourist dies in South

3pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Thai media has suggested that a badly positioned police checkpoint on the Petchkasem Highway in Pattalung was responsible for an accident that killed a Malaysian tourist and seriously injured his wife.

The tourists were on Big Bikes heading for Koh Samui with four friends when they collided with the back of a pick-up at a checkpoint near the Pa Bon police station.

A total of four vehicles collided. The others were a car and pick-up. Manager said the problem was the positioning of cones on the road at a checkpoint for traffic infringements.

The dead man who died at the scene was Mohammad Dreem, 38. His wife Ruree on the back of the bike was rushed to Pa Bon hospital in a serious condition.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-17

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Lack of attention to driving and traffic conditions are what killed him. Blaming checkpoint is like blaming the ground for killing some guy that jumps from 10th floor

Yeah, and on the way down, someone on the fifth floor asks "how are you?" and the guy answers "so far so good...."

3 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Big bikes are exiting  to ride. But most of them chase other cars and riding very close to them watching from sides, and miss the speed of the car in the front.

Big bikes mostly out of control when they applied breaks.

You take risks, until you die. Speed kills!

The way the bikes are driven down most straight roads in Chiang Mai, I can't help thinking these guys are also looking for a quick 'exit'.     A few traffic police would earn their salary 10x over.

Traffic Police?   hah hah hah

If any of you actually ride bikes in Thailand you may have noticed how dangerous the checkpoints can be sometimes, particularly the illegal ones. I saw one under Don Mueang tollway, they had set up one the side of the 3-lane road and jumping in the middle of the road between cars. Only saw them maybe 20 meters before because of the traffic and had to do brake hard to not hit one of the idiots. 

Another time there was a checkpoint at Sunthon Kosa Rd near Khlong Toey, the first 2 lanes were blocked mainly by trucks and I was riding the outer lane within the speed limit at around 80km/h, until suddenly a cop jumped in front of me from behind a truck to stop me. Had to brake really hard to not hit him (thank god I had ABS). The <deleted> even fined me for "riding on the right lane" even though the other lanes were blocked with traffic. 

Both good examples of dangerous checkpoints on straight roads and in these cases they weren't visible until maybe 20 meters before. 

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

Looks like a straight 2 lane road so i don't see how it could be badly positioned causing an accident , is it possible he just decided to take his bike through the traffic causing the accident himself ?

If a road is straight then cones on the road cannot be badly positioned?  How did you figure that one out?

Malaysian superbiker killed in accident in Pattalung

ce1bf9837e093a6cd51cf9558b37cc46.jpeg

Phattalung - A Malaysian superbike rider was killed while his wife was seriously injured in an accident along the Petchakasem Highway between Hatyai and  Phattalung in southern Thailand on January 16.

In the 4pm incident (local time), Muhammad Arif Suhery, 34, died at the scene. His wife Nur Arissa Ruri Ahon, 34, was riding pillion, Bernama reported.

"They were in a convoy together with four friends on the way to Koh Samui in Surat Thani province when their machine collided with a vehicle that had suddenly stopped before a roadblock mounted by police,” said source from the Paborn police station here.

Muhammad Arif's wife was sent o the Phattalung Hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30336476

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-17

17 minutes ago, masuk said:

The way the bikes are driven down most straight roads in Chiang Mai, I can't help thinking these guys are also looking for a quick 'exit'.     A few traffic police would earn their salary 10x over.

Traffic Police?   hah hah hah

There are hotels offering these beasts for rent. An Arab look guy, neatly dress in white and white, wanted to test one of those and he made a turn, you see the BOOM, and he was the ground with bike on the top of his limbs. 3-4 people helped to lift the bike, and for sure it was broken. There come Ambulance...

What a pity, he was taking a test ride on parking. I wish i didn't watch someone's limbs broken in front of me.

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

Looks like a straight 2 lane road so i don't see how it could be badly positioned causing an accident , is it possible he just decided to take his bike through the traffic causing the accident himself ?

Sometimes the police do not offer much warnings in front of their checkpoints.

Inexperience could also be a factor.

Position your bike to follow in the tracks of one of the front vehicles tyres.

You will be in a better position to avoid a rear end collision if they suddenly stop, and will also see any obstacles that would hit your tyres as the car tyres would go over them first. 

Was riding once when a sack of cement suddenly came out from the underside of the car in front. As I was positioned behind the car's tyre I missed it. If I was directly behind the middle of the car it would have taken me out.

I went past the car and in front of it was a pick-up truck with sacks of cement in the back and the door down.

6 minutes ago, DLang said:

Speed and/or riding too close to the vehicle in front.

It's a straight 2 lane road.

If you can't stop in time if the vehicle in front suddenly stops, you're too close.

I agree with you completely and in the final result it all comes down to excessive speed for the road conditions.   I.e.   do not drive fast  behind a vehicle in front of you.   Maintain proper distance..!

RIP to the Malaysian gentleman, but....how many of us have gone through police checkpoints in this country?  Countless times.  Problems?  Nope.  So to blame a police checkpoint is rather puzzling.  The reasonable explanation(s) would be the tourist's unfamiliarity with the roads, unfamiliarity with the bike itself, inattention, fatigue, perhaps speeding...any number of reasons.  I'm not defending police checkpoints because they can be annoying.  But the cause of death?  Hard to believe. 

22 minutes ago, DLang said:

Speed and/or riding too close to the vehicle in front.

It's a straight 2 lane road.

If you can't stop in time if the vehicle in front suddenly stops, you're too close.

Often the driver in front lurches to one side at the last minute to go through the checkpoint and you're left facing cones in front of you. Don't tell me this has never happened to any of you.

Just now, TEFLKrabi said:

Often the driver in front lurches to one side at the last minute to go through the checkpoint and you're left facing cones in front of you. Don't tell me this has never happened to any of you.

Unless you are driving too close to the vehicle in front or too fast then no matter how late they chose to change lanes you should also have time to maneuver.

1 hour ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Big bikes are exiting  to ride. But most of them chase other cars and riding very close to them watching from sides, and miss the speed of the car in the front.

Big bikes mostly out of control when they applied breaks.

You take risks, until you die. Speed kills!

It seems the rider of this bike exited. RIP

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Unless you are driving too close to the vehicle in front or too fast then no matter how late they chose to change lanes you should also have time to maneuver.

Sorry my friend but that is not correct.

A sudden swerve of the car in front takes away reaction time which is a part of stopping a vehicle.

Archived