Police checkpoint blamed for accident as Malaysian "big bike" tourist dies in South

webfact

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, Kieran00001 said:

The law says that if you drive into something it is your fault, not the car in front of you who was blocking your view of that something until they decided to swerve around it at the last moment, ultimately it is your responsibility to drive at a speed and distance that you can stop regardless of what the car in front decides to do.

Which law?  A Thai law?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, Kieran00001 said:

Section 40

The driver shall keep a safe distance from another vehicle in front of him.

Did you honestly think that you could just drive right up someones rear and if they needed to change lanes suddenly and you hit what they were avoiding then for some reason it was their fault not yours? 

"Section 40

The driver shall keep a safe distance from another vehicle in front of him".

That's nothing like what you claimed the law states...just in case you forgot what you actually said, "the law says that if you drive into something it is your fault, not the car in front of you who was blocking your view of that something until they decided to swerve around it at the last moment...".  So the law does not say that.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, watcharacters said:

This is a UK info site:

http://www.brake.org.uk/facts-resources/15-facts/1255-speed

Does it mention "thinking distance"?

Stopping distances

Stopping distances include the distance travelled while the driver notices a hazard and applies the brakes (thinking distance), and while the vehicle comes to a full stop from its initial speed (braking distance). The government's official estimates of stopping distances for cars are shown below. [7]

stopping-distances

Source: Department for Transport, 2007

The distances above are based on a reaction time of 0.67 seconds, which assumes the driver is alert, concentrating and not impaired. Driving when tired, distracted or impaired significantly increases reaction times, so the thinking distances above should be regarded as minimums.

Does it mention "thinking distance"?

"Er, yes, it does, in a big blue block to the right hand side it says, THINKING DISTANCE.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, MadMuhammad said:

http://www.attorneys.com/auto-accidents/who-is-liable-in-a-rear-end-collision

Because basic traffic laws mandate a driver must be able to come to a safe stop if the vehicle(s) ahead stops or slows down. Incidentally, this traffic rule also governs sudden stops. If the subsequent driver cannot come to a safe stop, chances are he or she is not driving in a safe manner and probably not as safely as the driver in front of him or her.

This was the first one that popped up. There’s a huge amount from many countries stating same

But not anything about this country, Thailand which is the only relevant country?

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, digger70 said:

If one Runs into the back off an other vehicle,,,,According to the Law one didn't keep enough distance and is at Fault,,,,

"According to the Law one didn't keep enough distance and is at Fault"   

Can you point out the Thai law that says exactly that?

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

He was only one of 4 vehicles involved, how do you know it was his fault, as you seem to be suggesting?  Could he see through the vehicles in front of him?

i see what you are saying but when in a car or on a bike yes you should be looking through the car in front if possible and the road a lot further ahead i was always taught to read the road ahead. RIP

So easy to blame the biker isn't it? Some of these responses are from people who don't do much driving in Thailand. What if the vehicle he hit suddenly stopped because he saw the checkpoint? That doesn't happen right? WAY too many checkpoints lately, and they cause intermittent congestion which is the worst kind. They are never signposted ahead (for obvious reasons) but that in itself causes problems.

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

He was only one of 4 vehicles involved, how do you know it was his fault, as you seem to be suggesting?  Could he see through the vehicles in front of him?

You do not need to see through vehicles. You only need to keep a close watch on the ones you can see in front of you. Never said it was his fault. You are beeing very annoying and irrelevant in your replies.

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

According to the Thai news reports I've read, the other 3 vehicles rear-ended first, when the first vehicle braked suddenly when it saw the cops, and he was the last one to come in at the back. Apparently, the checkpoint is located at the bottom of a hill and not easily visible from distance. Local people quoted in the news said that they have complained about this checkpoint before.

Also that immediately after the accident, the cops removed the checkpoint and left the guy's friends to try and do the best they could while waiting for the emergency crews to arrive. 

49 minutes ago, Get Real said:

You do not need to see through vehicles. You only need to keep a close watch on the ones you can see in front of you. Never said it was his fault. You are beeing very annoying and irrelevant in your replies.

indeed; drive within the speed limit, appropriate to the road/weather conditions, not intoxicated and leave a safe stopping distance between you and the vehicle in front. i've driven in europe, the middle east, asia, central, south and north america and, despite the actions of other road users, by following these simple rules have never had an accident. it's not difficult.

1 hour ago, Shackleton123 said:

So easy to blame the biker isn't it? Some of these responses are from people who don't do much driving in Thailand. What if the vehicle he hit suddenly stopped because he saw the checkpoint? That doesn't happen right? WAY too many checkpoints lately, and they cause intermittent congestion which is the worst kind. They are never signposted ahead (for obvious reasons) but that in itself causes problems.

Suddenly stopping would be well within their rights, who ever hits into you is to blame as you need to leave enough space in order to stop if they do suddenly stop.  So many tailgaters on here trying to defend what they know is inevitable in their future.

20 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Suddenly stopping would be well within their rights, who ever hits into you is to blame as you need to leave enough space in order to stop if they do suddenly stop.  So many tailgaters on here trying to defend what they know is inevitable in their future.

Well you are technically correct I suppose, but remember your own words the next time someone suddenly stops in front of you, you only need to be checking your mirror at the moment he stops, and you are stuffed (and guilty - according to you)

7 minutes ago, Shackleton123 said:

Well you are technically correct I suppose, but remember your own words the next time someone suddenly stops in front of you, you only need to be checking your mirror at the moment he stops, and you are stuffed (and guilty - according to you)

No, that would be an unsafe distance.  Did you actually manage to pass a driving test?

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

All this talk about keeping a safe distance while driving,everytime

i do that some  car or truck will squeeze into that space.

Then you hold back and make a new gap, did you think that if you had once tried to leave a gap only to have someone fill it then it would be OK for you to tailgate forever more?

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"According to the Law one didn't keep enough distance and is at Fault"   

Can you point out the Thai law that says exactly that?

Can't point it out, But  thai cop said so  when a thai friend had an accident,,,,But hey law or not they can Say and do Anything here ,,this is Thailand . 

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, that would be an unsafe distance.  Did you actually manage to pass a driving test?

Did you manage to get a life yet? I drive a Fortuner for work, and a Triumph Bonneville for pleasure here in Thailand. I got my Motorcycle license in the UK 45 years ago, and my car license 40 years ago. Do you even drive? as soon as you leave a gap someone will squeeze into it - repeat ad nauseam until everyone behind you is now in front of you. There is only one way to drive here - and that is positively - not aggressively. You just continue to read your Highway Code - the rest of us will drive accident free here.

40 minutes ago, Shackleton123 said:

Did you manage to get a life yet? I drive a Fortuner for work, and a Triumph Bonneville for pleasure here in Thailand. I got my Motorcycle license in the UK 45 years ago, and my car license 40 years ago. Do you even drive? as soon as you leave a gap someone will squeeze into it - repeat ad nauseam until everyone behind you is now in front of you. There is only one way to drive here - and that is positively - not aggressively. You just continue to read your Highway Code - the rest of us will drive accident free here.

The rest of you will drive accident free?  What, the rest of you who are resulting in the country with the worst track record for accidents in the world?  You're making loads of sense today, keep it up.

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Then you hold back and make a new gap, did you think that if you had once tried to leave a gap only to have someone fill it then it would be OK for you to tailgate forever more?

Who said only once?I even said every time which is of course over the top but i think most people would get my point.You clearly did not.

6 hours ago, Shackleton123 said:

It does not matter if it is a police checkpoint or a buffalo or a child crossing the road if the vehicle in front of you stops and you run into the back of it then you are at fault and there is no excuses for it. It means that you are traveling to close and to fast to be able to stop safely without hitting the vehicle in front.

4 hours ago, Shackleton123 said:

It is not just according to Kieran00001 it is according to the law and it is not only in Thailand. There is NO excuse for running into the rear of the vehicle in front of you. It is negligent driving. Full stop.

1 hour ago, Shackleton123 said:

I agree with you, many Thais think they can jump ahead of traffic by squeezing in any small gap. I have a dash cam and have weekly footages of these nut case. As you know, once they squeeze in your personal space, you always have to brake to increase the distance of your car from the next one in front.

32 minutes ago, jvs said:

Who said only once?I even said every time which is of course over the top but i think most people would get my point.You clearly did not.

I got your point, which was that as this has happened to you in the past you no longer bother to leave a safe gap, right?

4 minutes ago, mike324 said:

I agree with you, many Thais think they can jump ahead of traffic by squeezing in any small gap. I have a dash cam and have weekly footages of these nut case. As you know, once they squeeze in your personal space, you always have to brake to increase the distance of your car from the next one in front.

It is not only Thai's that do it, there are a few idiot farangs in cars and on bikes that do it as well. Like you said you brake to increase the distance from the vehicle in front of you so that you do not run into the rear of them.

I ride bikes and have been doing so for years. And yes, I see stupid check points every week. Some manned and some not because (I assume) they're lazy to dismantle them so they just leave them on the road until 'next time' they wish to collect some 'donations' to their club house or pension fund. And not only that, those boys in brown run into the middle of the traffic in attempt to stop a motorcycle or other vehicle travelling on the outer lanes. They stop lorries and trucks on the left lane and then fine motorcyclists who have to over take them from the right 'for not staying on the left lane'. Some check points are well marked while others are really not.

12 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

A safe distance would be considered not running into something in front im

guessing? 

Thai is from Thai road laws

BF782988-8D41-4872-A2E4-8CB76FA6DBC5.jpeg

Yes, that's been posted before, it's old news.  My point that you have conceded was why quote traffic law from other countries?

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

"Never said it was his fault".

You didn't use those words but your first comment suggested it and didn't exactly exonerate him..."Straight road, No problem. He could see the checkpoint 200 meters away, but he didn´t see the car he drove into".

"You are beeing very annoying and irrelevant in your replies.

That's only your misspelled opinion, which is irrelevant to me, but which you are entitled to just as much as I am entitled to post the way I want to and nothing that I have said in this thread is irrelevant.

Archived