Translation of marriage cert?

Mrs applying for shengen visa and needs to get the marriage cert translated and certified, whatever that is. Italian embassy is on wireless road I think, anyone know a place to get this done near there and how much to pay? there are few details on it of course. 

Believe what is required is translation and then registration/certification of translated document with MFA so a two step process taking several days.  Translation service normally can take care of the registration at extra cost.  And there are many on Wireless Road as home of a number of Embassies.  MFA registration is at Chiang Watanna Thai Passport Office building and they used to have express service and translation service facilities but not sure can be done same day or not. 

• Like 1

The Italian embassy does not accept the visa application directly. She will apply at the VFS office on Silom Road.

See: http://www.ambbangkok.esteri.it/ambasciata_bangkok/en/informazioni_e_servizi/visti/

Here is a list of translators from the US embassy. https://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/translators_internet_service_photographers.pdf

I don't think the translation and certification of it at Department of Consular affairs of the MFA can be done on the same day.

Translations cost 300 to 500 baht per page.

• Like 1

I thought EU law says that Embassy's have to accept applications for shengen visas? even though they would like you to use Vfs. Mrs rang up the Embassy and they told her she can apply there without an appointment. Might be just as well not to apply as married to an EU citizen beacuse although it's free you have got to fork out for the translation and certification anyway if you go down that route.

You’re correct an application is free and most consulates comply with the Schengen rules and allow direct applications though they may make you jump through hurdles to do so.

When you say the translation needs to be certified do you mean they’re asking that the translator certifies the translation, in which case the translation company does so as a matter of course.

When my wife applied for a UK and then a Schengen Visa recently translated copies, certified by the translators were accepted in both cases.

If the Italian Consulate is asking for a different certification I’m not sure who would do it, the MFA only certify translations into Thai, not from Thai.

I’ve used this place and have found them to be pretty good. http://www.expresstranslationservice.com/cms.php?id_cms=6

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

You’re correct an application is free and most consulates comply with the Schengen rules and allow direct applications though they may make you jump through hurdles to do so.

When you say the translation needs to be certified do you mean they’re asking that the translator certifies the translation, in which case the translation company does so as a matter of course.

When my wife applied for a UK and then a Schengen Visa recently translated copies, certified by the translators were accepted in both cases.

If the Italian Consulate is asking for a different certification I’m not sure who would do it, the MFA only certify translations into Thai, not from Thai.

I’ve used this place and have found them to be pretty good. http://www.expresstranslationservice.com/cms.php?id_cms=6

MFA is the certification authority for any document of Thai origin into English for international legal status.  They do this and I have had them do it.  

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

MFA is the certification authority for any document of Thai origin into English for international legal status.  They do this and I have had them do it.  

Thank you for clearing that up, they previously advised me that they only certify translations into Thai.

However it seems that the Italian Embassy insist that in the case of a marriage to an EU National the "Certificate [is] to be registered in Italy or in another EU Country", this requirement falls foul of the EU directive of free movement, and in many EU Countries you cannot register a marriage, only lodge a copy of an overseas marriage certificate.  

About 11/2 years ago I had my Thai marriage license translated at MFA. On second floor the row of booths in front of the arrival elevator, last one on right side does excellent job of translation and certified copy. Does it and mails it to your home, all-in cost was well under 1000 baht. Very helpful lady in the booth, know all that needs doing.. 

6 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Thank you for clearing that up, they previously advised me that they only certify translations into Thai.

However it seems that the Italian Embassy insist that in the case of a marriage to an EU National the "Certificate [is] to be registered in Italy or in another EU Country", this requirement falls foul of the EU directive of free movement, and in many EU Countries you cannot register a marriage, only lodge a copy of an overseas marriage certificate.  

I have not had done since 5 Aug 1994 but believe it is still valid as these explain.

https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/travel-and-residence/legalising-your-documents/thailand

http://thailand.um.dk/en/travel-and-residence/legalisation/legalisation-thai-documents/